What version of the Bible are you planning to read in 2019?

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 47 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 5:34 PM

Kiyah:

Myke Harbuck:

The old, trusted CSV. I just love the way it reads and flows.

What does CSV stand for? Google doesn't seem to know. Smile

I don't want to speak for Myke but sometimes people use CSV to stand meaning "Christian Standard Version" although I think most people would say "Christian Standard Bible". Of course it could be a typo for ESV.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 420
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 6:55 PM

Its important getting value from the Bible you read - though my preference is always the King James Bible - and reading plans do help. Rather than simply reading the Bible from cover to cover, a friend of mine took to writing out every word of the Bible by hand and has done this a couple of times.  He said this had the advantage of slowing his reading and allowing him to take time with the text. He told me he felt real spiritual benefit in doing this. Of course this approach could be assisted using a reading plan too.  Keep well Paul    

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 5:38 AM

Paul:

a friend of mine took to writing out every word of the Bible by hand and has done this a couple of times. 

How long did that take each time?  

Next question: As scribes always used to write out every word by hand: did your friend go back and check their error rate?  

Have heard of some having students try coping the book of John and seeing how hard it is not to make mistooks. 

Posts 420
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 2:39 PM

David Ames:

Paul:

a friend of mine took to writing out every word of the Bible by hand and has done this a couple of times. 

How long did that take each time?  

Next question: As scribes always used to write out every word by hand: did your friend go back and check their error rate?  

Have heard of some having students try coping the book of John and seeing how hard it is not to make mistooks. 

Hi David - It took him months of patient writing to get through the Bible on each occasion. Apart from a (very) sore wrist and aching back, he felt elated that he had achieved it and also that he consistently  did it in a way that honoured God. His focus in writing was to absorb the Word more closely and he said there were many things he discovered that perhaps he might otherwise have missed if he had simply read the text. 

Your point is a reasonable one - how many mistakes would he have made? I don't think he intended to rely on his hand written version as an accurate text for himself or replicate it for others. In that sense he didn't see himself as a scribe, but simply someone reading the text more closely as a discipline for himself. Personally, I don't think I could have gone the distance he did!

Yet what he did could be described as a variant on a close reading plan - doing a selected segment regularly over time. Keep well Paul    

Posts 30
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2019 2:49 PM

CSB last year, already started reading Robert Alter’s new 3 volume translation of the Hebrew Bible

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 8:14 AM

Rob:

CSB last year, already started reading Robert Alter’s new 3 volume translation of the Hebrew Bible

Rob:  I took some time looking at Alter’s translation, and even did some background reading on him as it pertains to reviews of this translation, since I’m always concerned when one individual translates.  However, I’ve decided to put that on my list of reads.   Thanks for sharing!

Edited to add:  am I missing something?  It’s not in Logos??

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 274
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 9:35 AM

Hi Cynthia,

I regret that this is now the third time I am informing you of something that is not available, surely this trend cannot continue forever!

Currently this title is not available in Logos.  It looks like the paper edition was only published last month.  Perhaps we can make it available in the future.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:43 AM

Joe McCune:

Hi Cynthia,

I regret that this is now the third time I am informing you of something that is not available, surely this trend cannot continue forever!

Currently this title is not available in Logos.  It looks like the paper edition was only published last month.  Perhaps we can make it available in the future.

Oh my goodness JOE! You're killing me over here!

Well, let's hope that by the time I get around to reading it, it WILL be available! 

Thanks again for answering me, even if you haven't been the bearer of great news! :)

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS