New Bible Reading Plan

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10
Jimmy Weber | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 1 2019 8:50 AM

All,

My church started a new bible reading plan for the year and I'd like to add it to Logos 7.  It's not one that is already in Logos and the only way I can find to enter it is to do it line by line.  I've created some basic templates in Excel and Word with the list and even created a personal book but I can't seem to find a way to import the thing into a reading plan that works.  The plan is called Blended or Blue Letter Bible Daily Bible Reading Program - Blended Plan.  Any help would be appreciated.

Posts 21528
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 9:32 AM

Can you give us some information about what the plan looks like?

How is it structured? 

Can you post the Word document for us to see?

And it may be that the best that can be done as setting it up line-by-line.

Posts 10
Jimmy Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 7:07 PM

Yep I can post it.

3073.Blended.docx

Thanks

Posts 21528
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2019 11:30 PM

For something this specific I think you will need to set up a Custom Reading plan and enter each day's reading as a session - which, from what you say above, is what you have been doing.

I can't see any other mechanism of achieving what you want.

Posts 9750
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2019 1:20 AM

This is a complex reading plan - it might require manual input, but at least the first readings per day should be able to import via a passage list. Using Excel is the exact right thing (I don't see a PB helping though). Coming from an idea of another user in the German forum, I could try and give it a hand later today. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 9750
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2019 4:36 AM

Jimmy, 

I built the plan in Verbum 7 and shared it with Faithlife group Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading Plan which seems to host a number of reading plans. You'll need to join the group, then go to tab Logos Documents and you'll find it (or click here). 

What I did:

I pasted your plan into Excel and made two columns ("eins" & "zwei") with the different daily readings as bible references. 1373.Blended RP prep.xlsx Then I selected the respective column entries and built a Passage List from each of those two columns (with the Add from Clipboard command - yields a 365-entries list each) and then a Reading Plan for each of those with the Add from Passage List command.

Then I built the "Blended" plan with the Add from Another Reading Plan command. The cool thing is that this feature takes out full duplicates - thus I had Excel put in a repeat entry of the first column into the second on those days where there was no second reading.

Hope this helps you in either building this yourself or obtaining it by joining the group.

Be blessed!

Mick

Posts 21528
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 2 2019 4:56 AM

Good work Mick

Well doneYes

Posts 10
Jimmy Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 9:30 AM

Awesome thanks a ton.  Really didn't want to enter it line by line.  I joined the group and got it that way.  I'll use your instructions later so that I can learn it.

Posts 9750
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2019 9:41 AM

You're very welcome, glad to hear it works for you!

If you have any questions in building it yourself, just come back, I'll be happy to explain any missing details.

Posts 3
dineshm4512 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2019 10:27 AM

Hi there.

When adding a passage list to a reading plan, all list items are added to separate sessions/day.

Is it possible to add a passage list to a single session? If not, how do we request this feature?

Thanks.

Posts 9750
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2019 11:39 AM

dineshm4512:

Hi there.

When adding a passage list to a reading plan, all list items are added to separate sessions/day.

Is it possible to add a passage list to a single session? If not, how do we request this feature?

Thanks.

It is possible to have Reading Plans with multiple readings per session (see this thread above, or examples under https://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plans), but I don't understand the idea behind having a passage list in a single session - what is it that you want to accomplish?

Posts 3
dineshm4512 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 7:02 AM

Thanks for your reply Mick.

I am looking for an easy way to add multiple passages to a single session/day as I am making a reading plan based on the Chronological Life Application Study Bible (CLASB) (NLT Translation by Tyndale Publishers). This Bible has all the parallel passages, alternating after each other.

Here's an example:

Mk 1:1
Lk 1:1-4
Jn 1:1-18
Lk 1:5-80
Mt 1:18-25
Mt 1:1-17
Lk 3:23-38

Currently, it's quite painstaking to add one passage after one into a single session.

Posts 9750
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 7:42 AM

dineshm4512:
I am looking for an easy way to add multiple passages to a single session/day as I am making a reading plan based on the Chronological Life Application Study Bible (CLASB) (NLT Translation by Tyndale Publishers). This Bible has all the parallel passages, alternating after each other

Your example is one day? Do I understand this that your reading plan has seven readings on Jan 1, seven on Jan 2 etc.?

If so, I would build this as the plan above, i.e. I would try to make an XLS with a row for a day and seven columns with bible references. The point is that to create the reading plan, you make columns (the whole year) into passage lists, not rows (one day).

Or is there a file version of the plan someplace?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS