SUGGESTION: Add a user setting to change color of Bible links

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 268
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 5 2019 4:48 AM

Hello,

I have a suggestion which may be a possible solution to an irritating issue that has existed in Logos ever since version 4 was first introduced. This problem did not exist within Logos 3.

Problem: The color of all Bible links (as well as other links) within the Logos Bible software is so muted that it is sometimes very difficult to even see that a link exists within the text that I'm reading. And there's no way for the user to change the color so that the links can be easier to see and more obvious.

Also, this is not an issue with my monitor screen or my PC. I have had 3 new PC's (including monitors) since Logos 4 was introduced. This is in the software itself.

So, my suggestion is to add a user setting where the user can choose the color and color intensity for Bible links - and other links - within the Logos program. Maybe a default setting - and a small range of options for color changes.

This will allow those who like the links as they are to leave them at the "default" setting, and it will allow those who would like links to be a bit easier to see to change the color intensity so that they are easier to see.

This is really an Accessibility issue. I have relatively good eyesight, and if I'm having trouble seeing the links, imagine how hard it must be for someone who has greater eyesight challenges.

Hopefully this will not be too difficult to implement. It would sure be helpful to me to have a setting like this.

Thanks. 

Stein Dahl

Posts 268
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 8:55 AM

So - no other Logos users - or Forum MVP's - even has an opinion about the color of bible links (and other links) being hard to see and notice?

Or am I placing this suggestion in the wrong place?

Posts 17587
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 9:59 AM

Logos UserVoice suggestion created on 11 May 2012 => Make hyperlink color more distinguishable from black and/or allow user to customize it currently has 66 votes, which is on the 2nd page (out of 84) for Top Suggestions. Every user has 10 votes for application suggestions (up to three votes for one suggestion).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 268
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:52 AM

Thanks for the link to Logos Uservoice - although, I'm not sure why Faithlife can't just read the suggestions section of their own user Forums - but I digress.

In any event, I went there and added my vote - and a comment.

For me the issue comes down to "Does Faithlife/Logos care about accessibility issues in their software - issues like this, which can affect usability for people with eyesight challenges?"

I have relatively good eyesight and I often miss links in the text when I'm reading in Logos.

Posts 17587
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 1:09 PM

Stein Dahl:
Thanks for the link to Logos Uservoice - although, I'm not sure why Faithlife can't just read the suggestions section of their own user Forums - but I digress.

Logos UserVoice allows other users to vote on suggestions, which should help Faithlife prioritize development.

Some accessibility suggestions have more votes

Stein Dahl:
For me the issue comes down to "Does Faithlife/Logos care about accessibility issues in their software - issues like this, which can affect usability for people with eyesight challenges?"

Some Faithlife development practices remind me of Henry Ford's model T where you can have any color you want as long as it's black.

Buying many material items (e.g. automobile, house, Bibles, ...) includes choosing color, but Faithlife implements one user interface set of color choices for everyone (while allowing manual highlighting and visual filters to modify text). Many modern web browsers allow users to choose color theme (skin), which helps readability (especially for somebody with partial color blindness). Operating system color changes for accessibility have historically been ignored by Faithlife development.

Stein Dahl:
Problem: The color of all Bible links (as well as other links) within the Logos Bible software is so muted that it is sometimes very difficult to even see that a link exists within the text that I'm reading. And there's no way for the user to change the color so that the links can be easier to see and more obvious.

Bible links are searchable so a visual filter could be created to change link formatting as desired. Screen shot shows using OR in search for different result colors:

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS