The effect of Inserting a block of text into an existing Personal Book on existing notes/highlights

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 951
JohnB | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 7 2019 2:23 AM

I am preparing bible study notes into a personal book for for disseminating via a Faithlife group..

It will have text added to the end of the document each week which will be re-downloaded and compiled by recipients each week. I understand that this will not disturb highlights, notes etc that have already been added to the document by the recipients in previous versions of the growing document.

IF I add a block of text in the middle of existing material, will/could this cause problems to highlights and notes etc already added to the exiting material AFTER where the text has been added. Understandably this would not be popular!

Presumably this depends on where precisely the highlights and notes etc are linked to in the document and I have no idea where this happens.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments

Posts 2324
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 5:07 AM

JohnB:

IF I add a block of text in the middle of existing material, will/could this cause problems to highlights and notes etc already added to the exiting material AFTER where the text has been added. Understandably this would not be popular!

If you can get a team together testing this will show what happens. [[Faithlife may not have a clue]]  I don't use highlights nor notes so I am no help. 

But thanks for all of your efforts they are greatly appreciated

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 6:08 AM

John, I hope what you are planning will work but I don't have any advice to do it differently. Would you mind posting back to this thread to let us know how it goes?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 951
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 10:18 AM

Yep, will do Bruce.

I will only know if I get complaints though!

It would be nice if someone was able to confirm the linkage rational though.

Posts 27108
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 10:42 AM

JohnB:
It would be nice if someone was able to confirm the linkage rational though.

If I were to attempt what you suggest, I think I would first create a trial document to see what happens. Also, if you are a part of an active FL group, you could ask fellow "members" to test it out with you. Better safe than sorry! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2324
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 2:05 PM

Posable Test procedure:
If you have three testers then add three paragraphs to start. [PG 1, PG 2, PG 3]
Test person one will use paragraph one for Highlights and notes
Test person two will use paragraph two and three will use three
All three report back and that they are ready for the first set of three paragraphs to be added at the end.

JohnB:

It will have text added to the end of the document each week which will be re-downloaded and compiled by recipients each week. I understand that this will not disturb highlights, notes etc that have already been added to the document by the recipients in previous versions of the growing document.

Added Pg 4,[Tested by person 1], Pg 5, [Tested by person 2], Pg 6, [Tested by person 3],
Then test person one checks highlights and notes made in paragraph one, person two to check paragraph two and three three.
If all ok now Add highlights and notes to Pg 4, 5 and 6
Report results

Now add P 7, 8 & 9 [Tested by 1, 2, &3] and see that this set also does not upset P 1 – 6 highlights and notes,

Now comes that fun part – adding three paragraphs after paragraph 5. And every one checks all highlights and notes.

Might then want to add three more paragraphs someplace else in the middle, and recheck all highlights and notes.

JohnB:

Have fun!!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS