Upgrading Hardware with Logos

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
James A. Schumacher, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 7 2019 2:17 PM

I've used Logos for some time and like it very much.  I continue, however, to have questions regarding hardware selection.

My desktop computer is a Windows 10 unit.  It works just fine, and, with Logos 8, provides all the necessary bells and whistles.

During the day, however, I use both an iPhone and an iPad Air.  Both use the mobile Logos app -- and it works o.k..  Problem?  It's not as complete or capable as what I'm used to on my desktop.

In selecting new hardware, the question that comes to mind is: "Should I consider a GOOD Microsoft Surface unit (memory 8g), storage at least 512g OR would it be useful to consider an Apple product?  If so, which one.

My goal is the have a portable version as good as my Windows desktop unit.

Posts 840
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 2:21 PM

For the iPad, when online, app.logos.com is what you are looking for. It is near parity with the desktop. If you are happy with that, any device will do. If not, let us know what you need more specificall. :)

Posts 481
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 3:09 PM

James A. Schumacher, Th.D.:
My goal is the have a portable version as good as my Windows desktop unit.

If by portable you mean tablet and not laptop then you only have one choice, a Surface tablet. That's the only tablet that can run the full version of Logos to my knowledge.

Otherwise you would get a Macbook Air 256g but your Logos library wouldn't be able to grow too big (no Logos 8 Ultimate for you). I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with a 256g SSD drive and a Logos library with 6,431 resources, my Logos folder is 45.1g. Right now I have plenty of leftover hard drive space with that and all the other stuff on my hard drive. However, I'd feel more comfortable if I had at least a 512g SSD. I have 8g of RAM and that works great.

So if you want a tablet your choice would be a Surface tablet. If you want a light laptop you can get a 2-in-1 like mine, or a Macbook Air, or some other model of ultra thin laptop. I just think you need at least 512g of storage and 8g of RAM. You definitely want an SSD drive and not an HDD drive because the SSD drives are so much faster. If you could get a laptop with a premium graphics card and set Logos to run with the high performance graphic card in the computer settings (i.e. NVIDIA or something comparable) you'd really be set.

Posts 481
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 3:22 PM

Actually I just discovered that Lenovo has Thinkpad Tablets. So Surface is not your only option.

Posts 7

Thanks, Kiyah!  I really appreciate your response.  You've given me some very concrete and helpful suggestions!

Posts 7

Thanks, again!

Posts 7

I suppose my desktop has spoiled me!  Graphics, especially, seem to work a whole lot better than what I'm seeing on my iPad Air.  On the whole, however, you're absolutely right!  Really, when I want to write articles or sermons, the iPad app really DOES work well.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Posts 750
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 8:55 PM

The iPad is really a consumption device that is good for reading resources from your Logos library. But as you may have noticed, you can't access any personal books you have created in Logos because the mobile app doesn't support personal books.

If I am doing any kind of writing, I gravitate to my Chromebook Pixelbook that has a great keyboard and access to the Android Logos mobile app. If I am just reading resources, my iPad Pro is the tool. For any kind of writing work, the iPad is a less optimal solution for me.

The Surface Pro is a great device. As an earlier poster has said, be sure you get an SSD with enough space for your resources. For me, a 256GB SDD is just fine because I use a limited number of programs and my Logos Library is 50GB. Since the Surface Pro has a microSD slot, you can use that for additional storage. The i5 8GB RAM and 256GB SDD with type cover is the sweet spot for Logos use if your use case is similar to mine and you want a tablet that is more like a laptop that you can use to write for long periods of time and enough of a tablet to read resources, etc. at other times. Battery life also is a consideration. iPads usually excel here, but the new Surface Pro 6's have made good gains in battery life, too.

Posts 840
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 1:32 PM

Does the web app not meet your needs?

Posts 723
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 3:07 PM

Justin Gatlin:

I find that the web app is seriously deficient in the area of highlighting.  While the mobile app is great for both creating highlights and reading them, the web app currently does neither.  This is particularly acute for me since I intend to highlight all the places where God speaks to people as I encounter these instances while reading through the Bible this year.

Posts 481
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 3:25 PM

Justin Gatlin:

I tried to use the web app on my mom's iPad Safari browser and it kept giving me errors when tried to open certain bibles and when I tried to right click on a word to get the context menu.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS