Can I get Hebrew glosses when I hover over a word, and not just Strong's numbers?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6
A Adams | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:02 AM

Hi,

I apologize if this has been answered a thousand times. When I hover over a word in the English or Hebrew text, I get the lemma, parsing, and (in the ESV) a Strong's number. Can I change it to give me a gloss, as it does for the NA28 and ESV New Testament?

Posts 21530
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 1:34 PM

Hi A. Adams - and welcome to the forums

A Adams:
Can I change it to give me a gloss, as it does for the NA28 and ESV New Testament?

We can't change what appears - is is built into the various resources by Faithlife.

Which Hebrew text are you using? The Lexham Hebrew Bible - for example - does give a gloss on hover but some Hebrew texts don't

Graham

Posts 6
A Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 2:15 PM

Thanks - I'm using BHS. But I'm also bummed that the ESV provides a gloss when hovering in the NT, but not in the OT. Surely that's an oversight!

Posts 2123
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 2:22 PM

Lexham Hebrew Bible gives you a single word gloss. BHS does not.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 21530
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 2:38 PM

A Adams:
But I'm also bummed that the ESV provides a gloss when hovering in the NT, but not in the OT. Surely that's an oversight!

It does seem strange!

The gloss is available through the Information Tool if you choose to have that open as well

Posts 2123
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 2:40 PM

A Adams:
But I'm also bummed that the ESV provides a gloss when hovering in the NT, but not in the OT.

ESV OT provides Hebrew gloss on hover or click; your preference.

Edit:

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 6
A Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 2:46 PM

Beloved, thank you. How do you choose to have the gloss on hover in ESV? 

Graham, thank you for the reminder. I find the information tab to be incredibly slow and therefore very hard to use.

Posts 9855
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 2:56 PM

My ESV doesn't show glosses OT or NT. Strongs and also LN for NT. Maybe glosses are a recent in-process addition. 

Posts 2123
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 3:02 PM

A Adams:
How do you choose to have the gloss on hover in ESV?

Select the Visual Filter icon (three dots forming a triangle) and select the Corresponding selection box as shown below. 

Edit: Oh do make sure you don't have the interlinear pane selected that's the Alpha and Omega icon.

Posts 2123
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 3:15 PM

Actually, I'm wrong it works whether Corresponding selection is selected or not for me. I did a random test on Obadiah, Malachi and Revelation and I got glosses for all. Strange! don't know why it works for me and not for you all.

Posts 560
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 4:36 PM

A Adams:

Thanks - I'm using BHS.

Gloss text is provided on hover in the BHS:SESB.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 6
A Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 5:27 PM

Beloved, I was reading your post from my phone earlier and now I see the screenshot and realize - you have the root Hebrew lemma, not a short gloss. Notice in this first picture, from Matthew 10, the hover info includes a gloss, "to send, to send out," for αποστελλω. In the second, there's no gloss at all for פשחור. Also, I must have been crazy earlier when I said the ESV New Testament showed glosses. I'm not seeing any glosses in the ESV now, just lemmas, parsings, and Strongs numbers.

Posts 17740
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 9:12 PM

A Adams:
Thanks - I'm using BHS.

Welcome Big Smile

Curious which BHS ?

My library includes seven BHS resources that are deprecated (per Faithlife replies in previous forum discussions)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1674
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 10:29 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Curious which BHS ?

According to the screenshot, it looks to me like BHS/WIVU (which doesn't have English glosses in the info tooltips). BHS SESB 2.0 does include both English and German glosses. AFAT includes English glosses, but so much other info that it makes for ridiculously long tooltips. LHB is likely your best option for this. 

I strongly prefer using Info for a couple reasons. 1) the info is at the same place on the screen no matter which resource I'm looking at, 2) it's highly customizable, and 3) the info is more resource independent. 

A Adams:
I find the information tab to be incredibly slow and therefore very hard to use.

In my setup, Info displays the relevant info in ~.5 seconds. Have you tried keeping all sections other than WORD INFO collapsed? If that doesn't speed it up enough (or you want a simpler view), you can also click on settings for that section and deselect everything except Lemma>Gloss. I also tend to keep the Info tool set to Click rather than Hover so it's not using system resources while I'm not needing it. 

Posts 17740
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 9 2019 11:44 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
According to the screenshot, it looks to me like BHS/WIVU (which doesn't have English glosses in the info tooltips).

WIVU Constituency Trees has Interlinear option to show German & English glosses:

Screen shot shows hover on a word has lemma pop-up.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 169
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 1:55 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Reuben Helmuth:
According to the screenshot, it looks to me like BHS/WIVU (which doesn't have English glosses in the info tooltips).

WIVU Constituency Trees has Interlinear option to show German & English glosses:

Screen shot shows hover on a word has lemma pop-up.

Keep Smiling Smile

I have a couple of these Hebrew trees in my monthly subscription, but am not sure how to use them - or to copy/paste from them (which would be sooo neat to use for power points in church!).

Is there a tutorial on these somewhere?  Thanks much in advance 👍.

Posts 6
A Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 7:19 AM

Thank you all for your help! I have been using BHS since seminary, and was a Bibleworks user, so this diversity of options is new to me. I have never heard of LHB or AFAT, so I never opened them until now. I also never saw the "equivalent resources" button until now. And I had no idea that the info tab would load so much quicker if I collapsed most of the sections.

This is all incredibly helpful. I'm going to give LHB a trial run.

One last question: If I have any Hebrew Bibles with the Masora or text critical apparatuses, where would those be found?

Posts 701
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 7:44 AM

A Adams:

I'm going to give LHB a trial run.

If you like LHB, give LHI a test. It adds Interlinear (toggle the ΑΩ icon).

Posts 9855
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2019 8:09 AM

A Adams:

Thank you all for your help! I have been using BHS since seminary, and was a Bibleworks user, so this diversity of options is new to me. I have never heard of LHB or AFAT, so I never opened them until now. I also never saw the "equivalent resources" button until now. And I had no idea that the info tab would load so much quicker if I collapsed most of the sections.

This is all incredibly helpful. I'm going to give LHB a trial run.

One last question: If I have any Hebrew Bibles with the Masora or text critical apparatuses, where would those be found?

KeepSmiling made a good summary of the discussion of versions:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/157055/947383.aspx#947383 

Vincent (in the above reference) is the Logos in-house hebrew guru.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS