Logos 7 Free Version

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
sarel muller | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 15 2019 4:36 AM

Which resources do I have to buy to turn Logos 7 Free Version into a decent Bible Study program?

The cheapest Logos 8 package is a couple hundred dollars, which is a small fortune in my local currency. 

Will it be cost effective to add books to the free package, or will it be more expensive than buying the base package?

Posts 1660
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 5:05 AM

Welcome to the forums Sarel!

sarel muller:
Which resources do I have to buy to turn Logos 7 Free Version into a decent Bible Study program?

That's a hard question to answer, given its subjective nature! Base Packages definitely provide the most bang for your buck, but that doesn't categorically say that that's the best route for YOU. Have you checked out the L7 Basics package? I'm not sure whether there'll be an L8 equivalent, but I wouldn't be surprised if there would be once the free engine ships (before the end of the Q1). You may also wish to check out a Faithlife Connect subscription...

Posts 9750
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 6:45 AM

sarel muller:

Which version do you own? The free Basic https://www.logos.com/product/136022/basic actually claims to be a decent bible study program (has English bibles, a study bible, a commentary, bible dictionaries, Greek & Hebrew Texts, a cross-reference resource plus the Reverse Interlinears if you choose to use any well-known English bible of your choice instead of the free LEB)  

sarel muller:
The cheapest Logos 8 package is a couple hundred dollars
There is the Logos 7 Fundamentals package for $99.99 which will provide a more rounded library of resources and functionality. At the moment there is no Logos 8 Fundamentals, and we don't know when and at what price it will be available, but the Logos 8 Free engine (or even L8 Basic) will become available later this quarter and thus allow for a free upgrade.  

sarel muller:
Will it be cost effective to add books to the free package, or will it be more expensive than buying the base package?
Base packages typically offer a rebate of >90% on the resources included - on the other hand, they may contain books you wouldn't buy and there are books that won't be included in base packages. So while in general it is a good advice to buy base packages - especially for people interested in expensive commentary sets or such that are part of base packages - if even Starter is too expensive for your budget, it may be most helpful to go for Basic or Fundamentals plus free / very inexpensive resources and the book or two you really need. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 17734
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2019 2:15 AM

sarel muller:

Welcome Big Smile

Curious what is desired for decent Bible Study use ?

Thankful for free Basic and Verbum Basic including King James Version (KJV) and Lexham English Bible (LEB) with reverse interlinears.

Thankful for Logos 8 upgrade including free Logos 7 Fundamentals voucher so my demonstration Faithlife account with $ 0.00 order total received an upgrade: e.g. searching.

Screen shot shows Inductive Precept visual filters in English Standard Version (ESV) using Logos 7 Fundamentals while Lexham English Bible (LEB) shows Basic 7 with visual filters.

Verbum 7 Fundamentals includes six more features than Logos 7 Fundamentals Caveat: the Fundamentals packages do not have dynamic pricing so any previous purchase(s) have no effect on their prices.

Humanly not know what Basic & Fundamental changes are planned for version 8 (anticipating changes within first quarter 2019)

sarel muller:

Logos.com product pages show if resource is included in base package(s) or collection(s) on the right hand side

Can search Logos.com for $ 0.00 items => https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=price%3A0&Status=Live&start=&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60&unlocked=no

For a base package, suggest considering value of books in the package. If enough books have value for the price, base package is worthwhile (and may include other useful resources). Base package aggregated discount ranges from 87 % to 93 %

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5221
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2019 2:11 PM

You have many good resources that make a fine core to a Bible study program with the Logos Basic, for no cost you can expand the scope of your Library by getting verbum basic as well which will add a few more books. At this point you have two fair classic commentaries (JFB and Haydock from verbum). You also have a top rate Study Bible in the FLSB. The Lexham Bible dictionary too is all in all a fairly top notch resource. As has been pointed out it would be wise to pick up your favourite Bible translation (or even a couple for comparative translation LEB is a good literal Bible but I find a literal, dynamic and finally a freer translation/paraphrase can really help and you ruminant over a passage for me New Revised Standard Version, New Jerusalem Version and Good News Bible make a good balance there for me ). It would be prudent to possibly grab a modern Bible commentary too. My favourite one volume is Eerdmans Commentary on the Bible, ed. James D. G. Dunn and John W. Rogerson, for a one volume it is fairly verbose (it is a moderately critical work and you possibly may like a more conservative or evangelical one). If your church follows a lectionary it would be wise and very inexpensive to pick it up too... BCP Daily reading lectionary is a free resource that provides you the 2 year cycle of daily readings from the 1979 BCP. Which can be very nice to provide you readings to perhaps choose from for your daily studies. With the free Logos you already have a powerful Library that would have made you the envy of any medieval scholar. You possibilities for add ons are nearly limitless.

-dan 

Posts 934
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2019 2:25 PM

I think if I was working to the absolute tightest budget then I'd answer by saying the ESV Study Bible (there is one version of it that bundles the esv text). Since it isn't in any cheap bundles you won't be wasting money if you later upgrade. But actually, you can legit do serious Bible study with just the free version.

I'd be inclined to add to that the IVP Bible Background commentaries OT and NT as well as a single volume systematic theology Grudem gets to the point quickly and often the right point but IMO not always.

You could also look at faithlife connect, a monthly subscription might be more achievable?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 934
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2019 2:44 PM

I have long maintained an entirely free version of Logos separate to my main library in order to make the point when I demo the software. Over the course of a couple of years you can build up a collection of quite some value - faithlife are very generous with their give aways. Using the search features of the free edition there are many ways to replicate the more expensive functionality if you think your way around the problem. E.g. sections missing from the word study can be worked around using morph searches. The only problem is that in the end you'll want to spend the extra cash for convenience and more quality resources. It's a great way to get started though!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 2
sarel muller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 4:29 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. I will have a look at the resources you recommended.

Blessings

Sarel

Posts 1
Lawrence McConnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2019 9:41 PM

I have Lotos 7 but whenever i tr.y to execute all i am getting is the promo for Lotos 8 has the program been deleted I am learning wow best ro use it, but now I cannot access it

Posts 25956
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2019 10:11 PM

Welcome to the forums, Lawrence.

Are you running the web version, mobile version, or the desktop version? Have you purchased it, using a subscription or using the free version? Logos 7 is still available - but I'm not sure which answer fits your situation.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS