Searching for God as Father

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3
Cummings | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 15 2019 12:04 PM

How could I search in Logos all the times where God is referred to as Father?

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 12:11 PM

Try father  INTERSECTS  <Person God>

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3
Cummings | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 12:22 PM

Thanks Dave, this seems to produce verses that seem to have God and Father together, but necessarily God as Father. For example, Genesis 28:13 (below) was one of the results.

And behold, the Lord stood above it and said, “I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring.

Posts 10037
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 12:39 PM

Hi Cummings, welcome to the Logos forums.

An alternative idea would be to search for {Section <Culture God as father>}  

This employs the Logos tagging of 'cultural concepts' and seems to work quite well. However, sometimes there are discussions as to the treatment of boundary cases, completeness and such. It may help to look into results verses with right click and look after additional taggings  you could search for, such as {Section <FigurativeLanguageType = Father as God>} 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3
Cummings | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 12:59 PM

This has been really helpful. The search, {Section <FigurativeLanguageType = Father as God>} only brings up New Testament verses. Any chance there is a way to look at the entire Bible?

Posts 10037
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2019 1:18 PM

Cummings:
This has been really helpful.

Good to hear!

Cummings:
The search, {Section <FigurativeLanguageType = Father as God>} only brings up New Testament verses. Any chance there is a way to look at the entire Bible?

Sorry, especially the language-related tagging sometimes is very different in the OT and NT (due to the different original languages and the way they work). Since I'm not into Hebrew to any meaningful extent, I don't know of any such tagging, and right-clicking some hits from the Cultural Concept search didn't bring any relevant tags. It's often helpful to do a broader search - maybe the one suggested above - and just scan the results for potential hits that you previously didn't find and work from those, if there are any.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS