Logos 7 Notes Functionality Is Coming Be Patient

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 17 2019 5:16 AM

Writing this because I've seen a few complain about how the new notes is far behind the Logos 7 version of notes. Here's the explanation I'd give.

Imagine you are building a new house and it's taking longer than expected to finish. You notice that the master bedroom, living and kitchen all look nice and the bathroom works. The awesome new luxury bathtub with huge TV and sound system hasn't been installed yet, but that nice shower is there and one of the two dual vanity sinks is installed. The furniture hasn't all been moved in, but you do have a couch and living room TV. There's a lot of work left, but the builder said, "I can work around you so here's the key. Move on in."

The guy will have it all done soon, but it will mean a little growing pains. You have a choice., Move on in or stay put till it's more complete.

Logos has all the great features coming but the new house is much better than old in terms of structure and bones. The amenities are not as nice in some areas, but better than in other areas. So be patient.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 7:35 AM

Yes

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 7:55 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
So be patient.

I have no choice.  But, FL had a choice.  They put out a partly finished product, + a list of ''we're gonnas.''  That's instead of, in bulk, finishing Notes.  

That is unprofessional.

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 8:00 AM

Why don’t you have a choice. You can stay with he old system if you like. It still works I think. 

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 8:02 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Why don’t you have a choice. You can stay with he old system if you like. It still works I think. 

Exactly. They were professional BECAUSE they left the old system in place, as well as made it VERY clear the new system lacked some of the old functions, so that people could keep their current workflows.  And nobody was forced to upgrade to L8. People had the freedom to stay on L7 as well.  I have never understood the attacks on FL with regard to this issue.

How to upload logs

Posts 1103
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 8:07 AM

scooter:

Kevin A. Purcell:
So be patient.

I have no choice.  But, FL had a choice.  They put out a partly finished product, + a list of ''we're gonnas.''  That's instead of, in bulk, finishing Notes.  

That is unprofessional.

Be patient. It will all be ready by Logos 9, and then you can pay for it again.

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 8:11 AM

Why don’t you just use the old system Scooter? It’s there. They could have removed it. They left it in for people like you who can’t imagine not having all the features. it will give you a peace that surpasses all understanding friend.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2019 8:13 AM

Sean:
Be patient. It will all be ready by Logos 9, and then you can pay for it again.

Absolutely, Sean.

Posts 37
Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 5:27 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Why don’t you just use the old system Scooter? It’s there. They could have removed it. They left it in for people like you who can’t imagine not having all the features. it will give you a peace that surpasses all understanding friend.

I think the reason people who have Logos 8 don't use the Logos 7 notes is because of all the dire warnings about conflicts if you go back and forth (especially if you are using notes on mobile as well as desktop).

Personally, I prefer Logos 8 notes because I use tagging extensively. 

Posts 76
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 11:13 AM

hi LOGOS. 

I'm really stumped since losing the Logos 7 notes functionality, in my work in several contexts. 

Is it correct it is  inadviseable to try switching back and forth because of compatibility issues. my logos is too valuable to my work to risk losing it, so now seems I'm stuck and cannot use the resources I've made or the systems developed over 15 years, and It's difficult to find work arounds without losing so much time. I used Logos notes a lot.I would love to know a safe way of reverting to Logos 7 notes, if there is one?

Surely we can  sensibly ansd responsbly expect LOGOS to work FLAT OUT  resolve and update the problems caused by the part completed upgrade to the NOTES? ... to get people like myself out of the mess? ? Does anyone know if  there is an expected DATE for completing the upgrade? 

Michael 

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 11:57 AM

Even if you go back, it's temporary. Bradley says the future is here. I'd assume your best bet is to plead for specific 7-features?

I stayed on 7 - a vision with writing on the wall.

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 12:02 PM

Denise:

Even if you go back, it's temporary. Bradley says the future is here. I'd assume your best bet is to plead for specific 7-features?

The same complaint over and over.... They have already given a list of what 7 features are coming back and which are not.

How to upload logs

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 1:54 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Denise:

The same complaint over and over.... They have already given a list of what 7 features are coming back and which are not.

Which means nothing ... are you new?  They general alter course over time ... usualy 3-4 years. 

Posts 3013
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 2:14 PM

Denise:

David Taylor Jr:

Denise:

Which means nothing ... are you new?  They general alter course over time ... usualy 3-4 years. 

No not new. Been a Logos user for years. But I often see the same people complaining every time a release is made. It gets old.

How to upload logs

Posts 76
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 2:21 PM

I'm new to the Forums ( but been a logos user for ages) but cannot grasp how this can happen,..such a loss of functionality!.. Itr must be an oversight, I',m sure logos are not aware how edxtensively some users use the program and what can be done with it otherwise these isseus would have been guarded against before being allowed to happen?

I complained/requested a change to the note files split view which was lost after libronix went to logos, the change then actually came about quite quickly ...when it was finally made a priority by logos..??

Posts 1998
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 5:34 AM

Michael Perry:
such a loss of functionality!.. Itr must be an oversight

What functionality are you referring to in particular?

We've been assured that feature parity with L7 notes is a high priority right now. 

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 6:21 AM

David Taylor Jr:

No not new. Been a Logos user for years. But I often see the same people complaining every time a release is made. It gets old.

Get used to it, Dave.  With a song and a dance and a flip of the cane, FL sells an unfinished project, again.

Ever watch those old clips of Fred Astaire?  That is what FL should aspire to.  An excellent finished product, all the fumbling fixed in rehearsals.

Posts 76
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 6:30 AM

hi Rebuen

thanks for the reply and question

Logos 7 functionality: 

seperate NOTE FILES as independant resources, with with a user created title

1/ can drag a note file to the FAVOURITES menu - where it will shows its user created title in the favourites menU,which can be draghged around to different locations in the favourites menu, so can build up a user created tree of note file titles in order, and inset etc as sub folders etc

2/ and can open that note file by dragging from the favourites menu or clicking

3/ can ADD A NOTE Specifically to any open independant note file after highlighting resource and right clicking text- all open note files we be listed as options in the box ( no need to do anything else like seperate tagging... then can right clikc and highlight to one note or another , quickly while reading text

the highlight will repeat the formerly chosen highlight method- for example if red unline is being selected, then it will repeat automatically the next time unless changed

4/ NOTE FILE TITLES will show up in tabs in windows, so can leave many note files open as seperate resourices and can tell across the windows tab which is which 

... for starters!...

thanks again

Michael 

Posts 3218
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 6:52 AM

Why should any of us get used to complaints?

There are things in every release that we can be thankful for.

Let's count ourselves as fortunate.

Posts 21918
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 7:13 AM

Michael Perry:

seperate NOTE FILES as independant resources, with with a user created title

1/ can drag a note file to the FAVOURITES menu - where it will shows its user created title in the favourites menU,which can be draghged around to different locations in the favourites menu, so can build up a user created tree of note file titles in order, and inset etc as sub folders etc

2/ and can open that note file by dragging from the favourites menu or clicking

This is being implemented somewhat differently in Logos 8

8.2 beta 1 had:

New Features
  • Notes Tool
    • Added support to allow old Notes links (i.e., saved positions, history, favorites, etc.) to work with notebooks.

I think - but can't test at the moment as not at my beta install computer - that this gives the ability to drag instances of the Notes Tool with a notebook selected to the Favorites folder and for the name of the notebook to be shown there. (We could previously drag the Notes Tool there but the notebook name wouldn't be shown)

Then clicking that entry in Favorites would open the Notes Tool with that notebook selected - so it's not just opening that notebook but opening the Notes Tool with a focus on that notebook.

Michael Perry:
3/ can ADD A NOTE Specifically to any open independant note file after highlighting resource and right clicking text- all open note files we be listed as options in the box ( no need to do anything else like seperate tagging... then can right clikc and highlight to one note or another , quickly while reading text

I haven't seen any change in this yet - you can't specify the notebook in the context menu, the last selected is used (I think but there was some discussion on this previously and I forget the details)

Michael Perry:
4/ NOTE FILE TITLES will show up in tabs in windows, so can leave many note files open as seperate resourices and can tell across the windows tab which is which 

From what Adam says at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/176832/1027818.aspx#1027818 this should be coming at some stage

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS