Logos 7 Notes Functionality Is Coming Be Patient

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 54 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 21604
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:44 PM

Hi Michael

The below is in 8.2 RC2 (so presumably should be available in the stable release when it ships)

Michael Perry:
if the notes file could be draggged to the favourites menu with its unique NOTE FILE TITLE which could be read in the favourites menu

Below I have the Notes Tool open with the notebook "Beta Test" selected

Dragging the Notes Tool to Favorites results in this

Michael Perry:
when clicked not just open the notes tool but open the actual TITLED NOTE FILE -

Closing the Notes Tool and then clicking the Beta Test (Notes) entry in Favorites results in this

So these things should work when 8.2 is available.

It doesn't indicate the name of the selected notebook in the Notes Tool tab but hopefully that is something that will come

Graham 

Posts 74
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:53 PM

apologies, this post was a former one repeated by mistake

Posts 74
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:04 PM

hi Graham thanks for your reply.

Does this mean an open entitled notebook can be dragged into the favourites menu, and its title will show up in the favourites menu, at multiple locations, without any renaming, tagging or other keyclicking? 

and when later clicked or dragged out of the favourites menu that actual notebook will be opened?

the title in the windows tab will show up.... in later versions?

best wishes

Michael

ps Do you know anything about note making from the context menu directly into a choice of open user defined notebooks, listed in the context menu, using the previously used/selected highlight all instantly and without any further tagging or renaming or other keylicks?

Posts 21604
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 2:11 PM

Hi Michael

Michael Perry:
Does this mean an open entitled notebook can be dragged into the favourites menu, and its title will show up in the favourites menu, at multiple locations, without any renaming, tagging or other keyclicking? 

Effectively yes. Technically it means that the Notes Tool with a particular notebook selected can be dragged into the Favorites menu and its title will show up without any further work.

(I'm distinguishing between "open entitled notebook" and "Notes Tool with a particular notebook selected" as - unlike Logos 7 where there were individual Notes Documents, in Logos 8 all Notes and Notebooks are contained within one Notes Tool of which multiple instances can be open at the same time).

Michael Perry:
and when later clicked or dragged out of the favourites menu that actual notebook will be opened?

Effectively yesSmile The Notes Tool will be opened with that Notebook selected

Michael Perry:
the title in the windows tab will show up.... in later versions?

I have seen a comment from the Faithlife product manager saying it shouldn't be particularly difficult to do but I haven't seen any indication as to when / if it might appear (it would, presumably, be weighed against other priorities).

Michael Perry:
ps Do you know anything about note making from the context menu directly into a choice of open user defined notebooks, listed in the context menu?

This isn't available at the moment and I haven't seen any information on this

At the moment there isn't any option to select a notebook in the context menu - the note is added to the last one selected in the Notes Tool. So if you click a note in the Notebook in which you want to place a new note, then adding the note from the context menu will add it to that notebook.

Michael Perry:
using the previously used/selected highlight

If you use the Notes Tool to select a particular highlighting style, then the next time you add a highlight from the Notes Tool the same style will be used. 

How are you adding highlights?

Graham

Posts 74
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 2:55 PM

hi Graham

thanks for your reply

- re: having the title of a notebook show up in the window tab- [ it can be doen but don't know when as not necessarily consdiered a priorty] -

***is there any way of RAISING the PRIORTIY level on this,*** - as it is a real nuisance if working with 20-30 notes files open, ( adding notes to any of each ) knowing whicuh one is where... the notes tool can have multiple instances open...which is good, but currently the trade off for a nmote file power user is not knowing which one is where, especially when using NOTEBOOKS as OPEN RESOURCES TO READ, and text edit.....

( note files in LOGOS 7 are not just for making post-it notes- but are RESOURCES in their own right - ( I had this dialogue with Dan about 7 years ago before the split screen was restored) and not a replacement for PBs becuase NOTE FILES can be edited in real time on an ongoing basis...

Many thanks

Michael 

Posts 74
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 3:04 PM

hi Graham

can the issues of ***sending a note to  selected note file  DIRECTLY from the Context menu be put on the agenda as urgent***

if there is still no option to specifically select the NOTEBOOK into  which to put the next note, from the context menu, then it is awkward to have to locate and tag each note after creation ( having many notebooks open) to put it where it needs to be...in logos 7 the NOTE FILE could be sent directly to a titled notebook, sending for examples notes to any of four open notbooks at quite a speed while speed reading through several texts at the same time...

best wishes

Michael 

Posts 3048
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 3:13 PM

Michael Perry:
is there any way of RAISING the PRIORTIY level on this

Phil mentioned yesterday that "We'll be adding Notebooks to the Docs menu in the near future."

You might want to get in touch with him and let him know that an open notebook doc should show the notebook title in its tab.

Posts 21604
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 11:30 PM

Michael Perry:
***is there any way of RAISING the PRIORTIY level on this,*** - as it is a real nuisance if working with 20-30 notes files open, ( adding notes to any of each ) knowing whicuh one is where... the notes tool can have multiple instances open...which is good, but currently the trade off for a nmote file power user is not knowing which one is where, especially when using NOTEBOOKS as OPEN RESOURCES TO READ, and text edit.....

I suggest contacting the Logos 8 product manager (Adam Borries) directly. He is the one I referenced in my previous post in this thread - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/176832/1027818.aspx#1027818 - and in that post he provides contact details.

Posts 21604
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 11:32 PM

Hi Michael

Michael Perry:

can the issues of ***sending a note to  selected note file  DIRECTLY from the Context menu be put on the agenda as urgent***

if there is still no option to specifically select the NOTEBOOK into  which to put the next note, from the context menu, then it is awkward to have to locate and tag each note after creation ( having many notebooks open) to put it where it needs to be...in logos 7 the NOTE FILE could be sent directly to a titled notebook, sending for examples notes to any of four open notbooks at quite a speed while speed reading through several texts at the same time...

The best way to do this is to contact Adam - please see my previous post

Incidentally, Logos 8.2 has now shipped to the stable channel so you should see the new behavior in the Favorites Tool I was describing after you upgrade. Worth checking it out and seeing if it gives you (that part of) what you are looking for.

Graham

Posts 8
Karl Flentje | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 5:06 AM

Can someone tell me how to revert to the Logos 7 notes system?

Posts 21604
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 6:42 AM

Karl Flentje:

Use the command "set prefer notes tool to no"

Posts 21604
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 6:42 AM

Karl Flentje:

Use the command "set prefer notes tool to no"

Posts 74
Michael Perry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 6:58 AM

Hi Graham

does that command really revert to Logos 7 note files, the whole system, without any risk of conflicts?

(and it is possible to switch back later if or when logos 8 or 9 notes suit  working methods? ?) 

best wishes

Michael 

Posts 21604
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 7:13 AM

Michael Perry:
does that command really revert to Logos 7 note files, the whole system, without any risk of conflicts?

It does revert back to Logos 7 behaviour but it isn't recommended as a longterm option, specifically it's not recommended as a good way of creating notes.

For Faithlife's guidance on this please see https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018336332 

I don't fully understand the implications behind this.

I do know that notes sync only works one way - notes created in the Logos 7 context are automatically migrated to the new Notes Tool but it doesn't go the other way. So, for example, notes you have created using the Notes Tool in Logos 8 won't be visible in Logos 7.

There are warnings in that article about sync issues. My guess is that this applies if you are creating / updating notes in both contexts.

If you were thinking of using it for some time, and intending to create a lot of notes in it, I would recommend getting some clear guidance from someone at Faithlife first.

Graham

Posts 411
George | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 8:33 AM

David Taylor Jr:
There is a difference between making an issue known and whining. It is the latter that I get fed up with.  It is fine and reasonable to make a complaint. But when people start griping over the same thing over and over, then accusing FL of bad motives or "counting on our Christian-ish niceness to lessen the concerns raised" then that is not longer complaining about features or making issues known. To me, that is something entirely different that has no place here or anywhere in a Christian's life.

I think you are too harsh.  The problem is that when Logos 8 came out, the the new features were being broadcast far and wide.  The limitations of the new version were not.  It takes a while to find the page that lists the limitations.  For most people, upgrading means I get what I have now and more.  In this case it was more and less.  Had Logos delayed the launch until some time before Easter most people would not have complained.  And if you hear a lot of it (whining), it means a lot of people were unhappy which reflects more on Logos' business decisions rather than the users (who were pretty happy with what they had).  It is not the first time Logos made some decisions and then Bob, being the stand up guy that he is, had to admit the errors and clean up the mess.  It sounds to me like one of the most important features in Logos 8 was not ready for showtime. 

This nonsense with features being removed and being brought back in should not have happened.  The Logos list of these features lists eighteen items. Logos knew they would be missed and still decided to go ahead and release the new version.

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS