Logos 7 Indexing

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Jerry Millican | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 19 2019 10:17 AM

Logos 7 is indexing constantly.  Every time I start up my computer, Logos goes into indexing even though the program is not open.  Really slows down my day to day computer work.  When I'm using Logos indexing really brings me to a stop.  I see alot of comments on this type of issue.  Any clear fixes?

Posts 26716
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 11:15 AM

Jerry Millican:
Every time I start up my computer, Logos goes into indexing even though the program is not open.

This may not be true. The Logos icon should appear, but it should NOT be indexing. On a new computer with reasonable specs, the icon should disappear within a few seconds. 

Jerry Millican:
Logos 7 is indexing constantly.

Jerry Millican:
Really slows down my day to day computer work.  When I'm using Logos indexing really brings me to a stop.

This may be an indication of hardware issues. Is this a Windows computer? Which specific OS? What kind of hard drive (SSD or traditional) and how much free space is available? 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 7
Jerry Millican | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 6:49 PM

I am truly indexing, the computer slows way down and I get a notification that Logos is indexing.  Again, this happens when I start up my computer even though Logos is not open for use.  I'm running Windows 10 1803. 922gb total, using 114gb, not sure of the hard drive type.  8 gb of ram, with a usage of about 50%.  Thanks for your help. 

Posts 26716
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 7:09 PM

Jerry Millican:
922gb total, using 114gb, not sure of the hard drive type

If the computer was more than $1,000 it might be an SSD. Otherwise it is likely a traditional hard drive. If that is the case, you might want to consider upgrading. 

Jerry Millican:
I am truly indexing, the computer slows way down and I get a notification that Logos is indexing.

I think a full fledged techie will be needed to assist. I would suggest enabling and posting logs. See my signature line for instructions. 

Posts 26716
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 7:10 PM

I forgot to ask: Is this a desktop computer or a laptop? 

Posts 7
Jerry Millican | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 7:22 PM

I7 desktop, why should it matter?

Posts 21358
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 1:31 AM

Jerry Millican:
I am truly indexing, the computer slows way down and I get a notification that Logos is indexing.

It is important to ensure that indexing is allowed to complete - otherwise it will start up again every time Logos starts.

You should be seeing an indication - if you hover over the indexing icon - as to how far through indexing it gets. What are you seeing there, does it continue to go up?

As JT suggested, please enable diagnostic logging and post logs - particularly interested in the logos.log and logosindexer.log files

Posts 7
Jerry Millican | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 11:50 AM

But you see the program is indexing even though the program is not running, especially when I first start up my computer.

Posts 24155
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 1:38 PM

Jerry Millican:
But you see the program is indexing even though the program is not running

Indexing is performed by a background app LogosIndexer, and it will continue to run when you close Logos. If you shut down the computer, the Indexer will also be closed. So it will resume when you restart the computer and start Logos. You can monitor its progress by hovering over the blue Notification icon with a number. Take note of the highest percentage complete.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7
Jerry Millican | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 2:10 PM

That's one of the oddities of my problem. The percent completed never increases from 0. Sits at 0 for a while then stops.

Posts 26716
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 4:55 PM

You need to post logs so that the techies can "see" what is going on. If the percentage is stuck as you say, there is a good chance of a corrupted .db file. To advise, you would need to provide the logs. If for some reason you are unable or unwilling, you should contact Faithlife directly by phone. 

Posts 26716
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 4:57 PM

Jerry Millican:
I7 desktop, why should it matter?

Indexing can take HOURS (especially if you have the slow type of hard drive I assume you have). If it were a laptop, there would be a greater chance the user was interrupting the indexing process. 

Posts 7
Jerry Millican | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 5:15 PM

I do not have a ssd. I'm a long time user of Logos, but new to the forum. I'll try to attach the latest log. Should it be zipped?

Posts 7
Jerry Millican | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 7:51 PM

3146.cef.log

Is this the correct log file?

Posts 9639
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:02 AM

Jerry Millican:

3146.cef.log

Is this the correct log file?

No. The indexer log file would be needed, but best to include all log files found at this location (especially error logs) - best to restart Logos with holding the Ctrl key down, which will invoke the creation of a logos.log file that usually will help a lot in diagnosis. Usually, because the indexer is a separate process, so the indexer log will be the most relevant here. 

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 26716
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 5:36 AM

Jerry Millican:
I do not have a ssd

As I mentioned above, your experience will be much worse without one. I would suggest upgrading. 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS