Extremely Urgent Request

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6104
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 19 2019 7:35 PM

Please bring back the Go box on the Home Page.  It was very nice to enter a passage and to instantly get a Passage Guide and an Exegetical Guide opened at the same time.

It's kind of a serious step backwards having to go to the command box enter a passage, wait for the drop down menu to produce options and then choose a lay out option just to find out it's only a passage guide and no exegetical guide included.

It's also a serious step backwards to have to create separate passage guide and separate exegetical guide to be able to study the same passage.  Extremely unpractical!

The Go box was something very extremely practical and had been useful for years.  Why change it to something so unpractical? I don't get it.

If you could bring the Go box on the Home Page it would make Logos 8 perfect, but as it is right now, it creates more work rather than help minimize it.

Thanks!

DAL

Ps. Yes double posting here and in the Logos 8 side of the forum.  I think it needs to be fixed in the sense that it needs to go back to the way it was.  This "create your own lay out" trend, we had that already when we customized, there was no need to alter it and have "create every single lay out you want" thing.  For something that it only took one step to make, now it takes 8 steps to make ironic, isn't it?  It Makes no sense.

1. Step one: Go to the command box

2. Step two: Type your passage

3. Step three: Wait for drop down menu to populate

4. Step four: click go on the lay out option, but then, only the passage guide opens, no exegetical guide tab like it used to do.  So if you want the exegetical guide.

5. Step five: Click on the guides icon

6. Step six: Click on the exegetical guide option

7. Step seven: type the passage you want

8. Step eight: Click go or hit enter to populate results.

I know the 8 steps and Logos 8 is a cute coincidence but trust me, is not funny.  Too time consuming!

Posts 3019
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 8:01 PM

It might be helpful to continue any replies/discussion in the Logos 8 thread.

Posts 6104
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 8:03 PM

PetahChristian:

It might be helpful to continue any replies/discussion in the Logos 8 thread.

I’m already doing that. I just want more visibility and maybe more people on board. I saw a thread that was making a similar request.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 2016
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 8:24 PM

You probably have every single Logos user on board already.

Posts 4
Mike Lester | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 11:20 PM

Dal,

I second your request!

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 11:34 PM

DAL:

Please bring back the Go box on the Home Page.  It was very nice to enter a passage and to instantly get a Passage Guide and an Exegetical Guide opened at the same time.

It's kind of a serious step backwards having to go to the command box enter a passage, wait for the drop down menu to produce options and then choose a lay out option just to find out it's only a passage guide and no exegetical guide included.

It's also a serious step backwards to have to create separate passage guide and separate exegetical guide to be able to study the same passage.  Extremely unpractical!

The Go box was something very extremely practical and had been useful for years.  Why change it to something so unpractical? I don't get it.

You do realize that you can customize the Passage Study Guide (or other Guide of your choice) to include both the Passage Guide and the Exegetical Guide or even to completely duplicate the L7 GO box format? So that the effort is:

1. Step one: Go to the command box

2. Step two: Type your passage

4. Step four: Click on the Passage Study Guide.

Yes, you do have to customize the layout once .... but many of us did that in L7 ....I grant you that the way in which the GO box and command box were combined is a bit confusing to get what one wants. We have to unlearn old patterns as well as learn new ones.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1773
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2019 11:59 PM

MJ. Smith:

4. Step four: Click on the Passage Study Guide.

MJ, in my experience, your #3 is unnecessary, and #4 you can simply hit enter. I believe this may be due to a reordering of options that happened between 8.0 & 8.2. See my response here.

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 12:05 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
MJ, in my experience, your #3 is unnecessary, and #4 you can simply hit enter.

I believe you are correct (I was using the OP's steps); but as it is rarely the most common or most recent used option for myself, I tend to wait to verify what I'm requesting.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1773
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 12:40 AM

MJ. Smith:
as it is rarely the most common or most recent used option for myself, I tend to wait to verify what I'm requesting.

Totally understood. I just thought it worth clarifying since the waiting was listed negatively in the OP.

Posts 6104
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 3:02 PM

Reuben Helmuth:

MJ. Smith:
as it is rarely the most common or most recent used option for myself, I tend to wait to verify what I'm requesting.

Totally understood. I just thought it worth clarifying since the waiting was listed negatively in the OP.

That’s because I’ve had to wait.  If I just type in the passage and hit enter only the preferred Bible used to open. I will try to set up a “custom PG” and a EG linked together that will stay without having to create one for each passage I want to study.  That was kind of like the point from the Go box you got a fresh PG and EG synced  to the same passage  at the same time without all this extra work.

So the learn new ways is not really a new way, rather, as I mentioned, a step backwards that wasn’t necessary.

Anyway, we’ll see how it works out.

DAL

Posts 6104
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 20 2019 4:35 PM

All right, so I set up my custom PG the way it looked by default in L7 and previous versions. Now I can go and type any passage in the command box and it’ll pull up the guide the way I’m used to and even tweaked it a little bit.

However, that still doesn’t deny the fact that you have to do extra work for something that used to come up by default before.  Did we do custom guides before? Yes we did, but not for the way it was by default in L7 and previous versions. So again, a little unnecessary extra work in my opinion.

Anyway, I’m just glad it’s set up now and good to go. 👍😁👌

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS