Question about parity between windows and mac

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1236
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 21 2019 5:57 PM

My wife recently bought a  pc for school. I have been playing around with it and I am impressed (256 SSD, 8 Gb RAM, I5 FOR $600.00) . I have been a mac man for years but my MacBook air is 8 years old and starting to show it's age. (1.6 I5, 4GB ram, 128 ssd) 

I am thinking of building a pc for the office and using windows. Everything I do at the office is within Logos so I am wondering if it would make much difference. I already use an external monitor.......

Can anyone speak to the parity? 

Posts 4628
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2019 7:07 PM

I have always been a Windows guy. A little over a year ago I bought a Macbook Air,. I still use a Windows desktop. There are a few differences, but nothing like it was several years ago. Faithlife has done a good job developing both platforms as equally as possible. Sometimes I have to remember the OS differences for Keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl vs Cmd). 

Depending on library size, you may want to consider a larger SSD. When I bought by Macbook Air, I purchased it with a 512gb SSD rather than going with the 256gb.  

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 2:10 AM

Mike Tourangeau:
I am thinking of building a pc for the office and using windows. Everything I do at the office is within Logos so I am wondering if it would make much difference. I already use an external monitor.......

Can you build a Mac?

Just make sure your video card is compatible with the monitor. Get a 512 GB SSD, at leastb  8 GB RAM, and an i7 processor if affordable, else an i5 is still good.

Parity with what? Windows 10 has really improved the OS over the last few years, and we don't have to be as hardware/vendor conscious as previously because it delivers hardware driver updates as well as software. Mac OS updates affect Logos far more than Windows updates (probably because of the built-in emulation).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17990
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 4:26 AM

Dave Hooton:
Can you build a Mac?

Legally no since macOS is only licensed for use on Apple models.

Operating system observation is macOS including many applications that need third party alternatives on Windows. Preview application is poorly named since Preview can annotate pdf's.

Windows 10 has privacy settings (with default to send lots of stuff to Microsoft, which includes your keystrokes).

For processor, suggest using Geekbench => https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks to compare models since the top 10 fastest CPU's are Intel i7, i9, i5, and i3 models (with #10 i3 being 8.5 % slower than the fastest i7, which is not humanly noticeable)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:16 PM

Dave Hooton:
Parity with what?

I think his question was not about the parity between OS's but rather the parity of LOGOS on those different platforms. 

The answer is that they are at "near parity." It seems to me that FL is an "equal opportunity bugger" when it comes to both platforms. Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:20 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Legally no since macOS is only licensed for use on Apple models.

Legally? Probably not. Big Smile

The answer is that you CAN build a "hackintosh" but you probably shouldn't for Logos. 

Posts 1236
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:23 PM
JT (alabama24):
I think his question was not about the parity between OS's but rather the parity of LOGOS on those different platforms. 
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, JT is correct. I am considering going back to a PC for my office machine. Right now I use a 2011 MacBook air which is showing it's age. I would like to get a Pro but the cost is pretty steep. My son and I are doing a pc build and I am pretty sure I will do one for myself. I do everything in Logos, so if the PC version is at parity it wouldn't through a wrench in my day to day work.
Posts 1236
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:28 PM

Dave Hooton:
Just make sure your video card is compatible with the monitor. Get a 512 GB SSD, at leastb  8 GB RAM, and an i7 processor if affordable, else an i5 is still good.

This is helpful. Thanks.

Right now I am thinking of either an i5 or i7 (?) with 16 gb of RAM and a PCIe SSD (probably just onboard graphics for now) . I am thinking this would be more than sufficient. Esp in light of what I am running now.  Any constructive criticism?

Posts 169
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:39 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

Dave Hooton:

This is helpful. Thanks.

Right now I am thinking of either an i5 or i7 (?) with 16 gb of RAM and a PCIe SSD (probably just onboard graphics for now) . I am thinking this would be more than sufficient. Esp in light of what I am running now.  Any constructive criticism?

PCIe SSD will be the largest contributor to the responsiveness of Logos.  The specs look good.  I'm on an old i5 3570K, 24gb of ram, and a SATA SSD and Logos flies.  A newly built system with those specs will have no problems with Logos.

Posts 1236
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:40 PM

Michael:
I'm on an old i5 3570K, 24gb of ram, and a SATA SSD and Logos flies.  A newly built system with those specs will have no problems with Logos.

Do you have discreet graphics?

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 12:56 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
if the PC version is at parity it wouldn't through a wrench in my day to day work.

Logos is first and foremost a windows app, so the "lack of parity" is usually on the Mac side. 

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 1:52 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
Right now I am thinking of either an i5 or i7 (?) with 16 gb of RAM and a PCIe SSD (probably just onboard graphics for now)

The PC I built in 2015 has an i5-4690 processor with onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600, fast 10,000 rpm HDD, 8 GB RAM and is more than adequate for Logos 7/Logos 8. So a modern i5 with onboard graphics will be fine. A PCIe SSD (512GB or more) will be much faster than my 10k SATA HDD.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 169
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 2:17 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

Michael:
I'm on an old i5 3570K, 24gb of ram, and a SATA SSD and Logos flies.  A newly built system with those specs will have no problems with Logos.

Do you have discreet graphics?

Yes I do.  It's currently a Nvidia GTX 670 which is pretty old at this point.

Posts 14
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 2:52 PM

Please notice: Windows 10  only accesses the 8 GB Ram if it is a 64-bit operating system. At 32 bit only 3.4 GB are used. This has led to memory problems with my Logos-8-installation. That's why I installed a 1 TB SSD hard drive and installed Windows 10 Professional. Since then Logos 8 runs great!

Greetings from Germany,
Hermann

I put together my desktop PC 2011 myself and changed the Processor 2013 (Phenom to FX). This is equipped with a six-core processor 3200 Mhz AMD FX 6300, has 8 GB RAM and now 6 TB Disc Space, including 2 SSD (1 x 512 GB, 1 x 1 TB).

The system has been running for seven and a half years daily without any problems and is sufficient for all applications. There is a 2GB Nvidia 650 TI graphics card in it. I run 2 monitors, 1 x 32 inches, 1 x 22 inches vertical (pivot).

Posts 1236
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2019 5:51 PM

Hermann Fritz:
Windows 10  only accesses the 8 GB Ram if it is a 64-bit operating system. At 32 bit only 3.4 GB are used.

Can you expand upon this Hermann? Are you sure?

Posts 14
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 7:15 AM

Hello Mike,

First of all, I forgot to mention earlier that my Win 10 Professional is now a 64-bit system.

Here an overview to the maximum addressable memory under the current operating systems:

https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/how-much-ram-can-be-addressed-under-the-current-32-bit-and-64-bit-operating-systems/

The Tech-Webpage tom´s Hardware gives you this answer:

32bit limits addressable ram to 4gb max. Its not the motherbd or the cpu but the OS that is the limiting factor.
This includes everything on the motherbd including your graphics card so dont go installing a 4gb GPU.

You have the option to use any ram above 4gb as something else such as a ram drive though. 

Plus your key is valid for the 32bit or 64bit install if you dont mind reinstalling everything as there is no other migration path for goinng from 32b to 64b.

Further Information here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-limitations-for-windows-10-32bit/32948af2-2062-491f-9038-aefd283096ec

I hope, I could help!

Greetings

Posts 1236
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 23 2019 8:57 PM

Hermann Fritz:
I hope, I could help!

Many thanks!

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 5:46 PM

You are right about the 32 bit limits, but extremely off for 64 bit (which most people should have by now).  In short, 64 bit can handle far more than you can probably afford.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/memory/memory-limits-for-windows-releases 

Posts 14
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 12:55 AM

If you want to switch from Mac to Windows, you can definitely overlook the fact that 32 bit limit the Ram. Most users rarely deal with the structure of their computer. Mike can save a lot of time and frustration by setting up his system right away.
My principle: As long as the PC does its service, never change a working system. Smile
Greetings, Hermann

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS