Logos STILL can't get Metadata correct

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 557
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 24 2019 10:48 AM

I just got the new Tyndale Commentary volumes released yesterday and today from pre-pub.

The Daniel commentary came tagged as "Tyndale Commentaries"

The Proverbs commentary came tagged as "The Tyndale Commentary Series"

This has been going on for years. Every single time i get a new volume in the TNTC or TOTC i know that i will have to go into the library to see how they are tagged. It never fails. For the life of me, i simply can't understand why this continues to happen. Yes, i can edit the series name, and that's what i do, but why does Logos continue to get this wrong?

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 1:52 PM

I would guess the current releases were in the delivery pipeline before this thread was written 2 weeks ago. Kyle Anderson is working on this specific problem.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/177348/1025091.aspx#1025091

John Kaess:
For the life of me, i simply can't understand why this continues to happen.

Did you read Kyle's reply in the earlier thread about a European edition and a North American edition that had separate licensing agreements? Perhaps the title of this thread should be "Logos STILL doesn't..." rather than "Logos STILL can't..."

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2833
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 1:59 PM

John Kaess:
Every single time i get a new volume in the TNTC or TOTC i know that i will have to go into the library to see how they are tagged. It never fails. For the life of me, i simply can't understand why this continues to happen. Yes, i can edit the series name, and that's what i do, but why does Logos continue to get this wrong?

I'd bet it is the same reason you consistently fail to capitalize the first-person personal pronoun.

Not being flippant here...I'm serious.  The reason is the either the same or closely related.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1011
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 4:05 PM

John

Could you take a look now? As David mentioned we updated a bunch of these recently. The Proverbs volume was a bit weird because it was mid-stream and had baked into the book the older, incorrect series title. My hunch is that when you looked your library hadn't caught up with what's on the server.

If the new volume by Wilson doesn't have the correct series title I'll need to do some more troubleshooting.

Posts 1399
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 5:35 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

John

Could you take a look now? As David mentioned we updated a bunch of these recently. The Proverbs volume was a bit weird because it was mid-stream and had baked into the book the older, incorrect series title. My hunch is that when you looked your library hadn't caught up with what's on the server.

If the new volume by Wilson doesn't have the correct series title I'll need to do some more troubleshooting.

When mine first downloaded they were tagged differently (like John's), but they're now the same (simply "Tyndale Commentaries") for all volumes, both OT & NT.

Posts 619
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 7:21 PM

I had this same problem this afternoon. I went ahead and changed all of them so they'd have the same series title, but now I'm confused to which is correct. Could someone let me know what they'll be called going forward so I can change them all to the correct series and not have to deal with this in the future (creates headaches for prioritization).

Thanks

Posts 557
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 9:18 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Since i manually corrected the series title, i can't tell if it's been corrected or not. But thanks for taking a look at this. Sorry if my frustration leaked out, but this same thing has been happening for years now and i've posted about it each time.

Posts 557
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2019 9:19 PM

My non-capitalization of i unless it begins a sentence is a deliberate and intentional decision on my part, not an unintentional mistake.

Posts 10109
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 1:30 AM

Ryan:

I had this same problem this afternoon. I went ahead and changed all of them so they'd have the same series title, but now I'm confused to which is correct. Could someone let me know what they'll be called going forward so I can change them all to the correct series and not have to deal with this in the future (creates headaches for prioritization).

The series names of all Tyndale commentary volumes I own has been harmonized by Logos to be "Tyndale Commentaries".

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 2:00 AM

John Kaess:
Since i manually corrected the series title, i can't tell if it's been corrected or not.

If you delete your custom title, it will be replaced with Logos' title.

Posts 25037
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 2:29 AM

NB.Mick:
The series names of all Tyndale commentary volumes I own has been harmonized by Logos to be "Tyndale Commentaries".

I have the "58 Volume" set which contains many duplicate titles, so the harmonization will not solve the problem of which volume (in a duplicate) will be used by  Passage Guide or Parallel Resources. My solution was to put the older version into a separate series, giving me a 48 volume "Tyndale Commentaries" set.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2833
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 7:47 AM

John Kaess:
not an unintentional mistake

Not a mistake on their part, either. You wanted to get your post posted. So did they. There were errors (your failure to capitalize is still an error, even if intentional). It's about getting the item posted/available. My point was, that's how FL rolls (look at how much isn't ready for prime time in L8).

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1011
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 7:53 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

Kyle G. Anderson:

John

When mine first downloaded they were tagged differently (like John's), but they're now the same (simply "Tyndale Commentaries") for all volumes, both OT & NT.

Thanks. That confirms my suspicion.

Posts 619
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 7:55 AM

NB.Mick:

Thanks NB.Mick, I appreciate it.

Posts 557
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 25 2019 6:14 PM

Sorry it took a while to go in and remove my change to Proverbs, and yes, Logos replaced the series name correctly. Thank you.

Posts 619
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 10:45 AM

Just as an FYI I got the new Tyndale Commentary by Ian Paul on Revelation today. Looks like the series hasn't been updated to the new "Tyndale Commentaries" for this volume yet.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 11:29 AM

Ryan:
Just as an FYI I got the new Tyndale Commentary by Ian Paul on Revelation today. Looks like the series hasn't been updated to the new "Tyndale Commentaries" for this volume yet.

It's right on mine. It probably just needs a few hours to get the updated metadata downloaded onto your installation.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS