What are Ranked, By Resource, By Count?

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2413
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 4:59 AM

Theo Lau:

I suggested more than one time that there should be “By date” (from the newest date of publication of the article/book to the oldest). To be a real writer or scholar, the foremost thing is to see who recently has mentioned the content of the search, and then he/she can compare which mention is important or valuable. For Logos to add “By date”, it seems not difficult for them, since every article/book has its date.

Question: in order to make money with your book you need to say that those in the past were wrong and here in my book is where they went astray. 

If, on the other hand, your book just states that those old timers really knew what they were talking about and got everything perfect with some examples showing how the new people are wrong and the old ones right. Your not going to sell many copies as everyone just needs to read the old books. 

The books we should look at the ones that are correct in their analysis regardless of when they were written.  

But too many think new is good / old is bad.  

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 6:57 AM

David Ames:

The reverse is true also.

However, when it comes to scholarship, it is a different type of thinking that applies. There are ancient sources, historically significant sources, and current sources. There are also outdated sources. For instance, Bultmann's History of the Synoptic Tradition is an historically significant source which is still useful but is also quite outdated now in terms of its approach and arguments. 

So, it is indeed essential for academic work to be able to sort through sources by historical periods or phases.

As regard the pubdate argument, it is of use but it is a filter, not a sorting method. One is not necessarily only interested in a specific historical period but might want to trace a topic across centuries or decades. I still believe that an actually method to sort by date is needed.

Posts 797
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 8:31 AM

Francis:

David Ames:

The reverse is true also.

Indeed. I certainly prefer new stuff by default for at least 4 reasons: (1) They are more likely to address modern concerns; (2) Our knowledge of language, anthropology, history, etc. has increased dramatically even over the last couple decades; (3) Newer works are more likely to utilize methods that benefit from this body of new knowledge; (4) New works can take advantage of the old works, but the reverse is not true.

Furthermore, it's often possible to understand an article's point of view (and other content) based on date alone, so such sorting would be quite handy.

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2019 4:03 PM

Thanks to both NB.Mick and EDIT. Now I have the following results (I use >2000) (see screenshot below). It seems successful. So, I am happy and thankful. But I need something more.

My aim is to see what scholars have said about נֶפֶשׁ AND ψυχή. I use “OR” instead of “AND”, in order to know even נֶפֶשׁ OR ψυχή may appear in the search.

What more I need, as I earlier said, is the function of “By date”. But since “BY date” is not a function in the Logos Search, I can only go around it. So now I need someone to show me the search of נֶפֶשׁ OR ψυχή between every 3 years, from 2019 backwards. That is to say, 2016-2019, 2013-2015, 2000-2012, and so on. So just show me this one-more-step. (Or someone has more brilliant ways?) Thanks very much.   

Posts 3086
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:25 PM

In your search, replace ">2000" with "2016-2019", etc.

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 7:34 PM

Oh, it did not work.

Posts 26810
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 7:53 PM

being to lazy to learn the short forms, I use:

type:journal (pubdate:>2015 AND pubdate:<2020)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 9:57 PM

Excellent. It works! Thanks very much.

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 10:05 PM

One more question. If I want to search any forms of נֶפֶשׁ (not just lemma) OR any forms of ψυχή (not just lemma) in type:journal (pubdate:>1990 AND pubdate:<1993), what should I type? Remember I want the “OR” between the Hebrew and Greek words.

Posts 26810
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 11:49 PM

I know the answer for Bibles that have morphological tagging but I was deliberately staying away from that on journals. I'd try this for the Greek before adding in the Hebrew:

(<Lemma = lbs/el/ψυχή>) AND (journal (pubdate:>2015 AND pubdate:<2020))

I'd also need to double check the rules on combining lists and logical operators ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 55
Theo Lau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 3:22 AM

Thanks to MJ. Smith, I tried but no result  (see screenshot). Anyway, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS