Mike Heiser Special Edition Logos 7

Page 3 of 5 (98 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 97 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 6071
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 5:20 PM

Remember Faithlife connect gives you access to current features and data sets but also access to future features and data sets that will be available in Logos 9. So  as soon as those start rolling out you’ll have access to Logos 9 before it becomes available.

DAL

Posts 30
Adam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 6:14 PM

How is everyone's price so low? I'm a connect subscriber too so not sure if that should make a bigger difference

Posts 873
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 6:34 PM

Adam:

How is everyone's price so low? I'm a connect subscriber too so not sure if that should make a bigger difference

The Connect subscription does not make a difference. Unlike the regular base packages, Faithlife has decided to make you purchase the datasets in this product, even though you already subscribe to them. It is why I did not buy it.

Posts 2971
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 6:37 PM

Adam:
How is everyone's price so low?

Your price would be higher if you didn't already own many of the commentary sets, courses, and features.

Adam:
I'm a connect subscriber too so not sure if that should make a bigger difference

No, sorry. Connect gives you a temporary license to tools and features, so that wouldn't affect dynamic pricing at all (since dynamic pricing is based on what you own, not what you subscribe to).

Posts 9861
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 7:06 PM

Justin Gatlin:
Faithlife has decided to make you purchase the datasets in this product, even though you already subscribe to them. It is why I did not buy it.

Interesting perspective. I signed for the resource; the other stuff (datasets, media) came along for the ride.

Actually, I'm fearful Logos may introduce a future killer feature (ok, unfounded fear). And to get it, they'd want me to pay for all the previous junk. So, this is like immunization.

Posts 30
Adam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 7:08 PM

Thanks all, there are quite a few commentaries & data sets I don't already own so had a feeling this was legit but should I be bothered that I don't see the "Nephilim-Sized Savings" as the original poster has put?

Just don't want to be missing out if I can save a heap

Posts 1325
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 7:57 PM

Price for me is about $195, but then, I own the JPS Torah Commentary, most of the John Walton books, the IVP dictionaries, the Anchor Bible Dictionary...

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 30
Adam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 8:03 PM

Ben:

Price for me is about $195, but then, I own the JPS Torah Commentary, most of the John Walton books, the IVP dictionaries, the Anchor Bible Dictionary...

Thanks Ben.

Hopefully there's something similar in the future with resources I already own so I can get a more affordable deal

Posts 432
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 8:41 PM

Brad:

So wait a second.  I have access right now to these additional features of L8 in the Mike Heiser upgrade through my Faithlife Connect package.  But now if I want to purchase the Mike Heiser I am having to pay additional for the overall package just so I can "own" the resources I have through Faithlife Connect already?

How is this fair?

If you rent a movie from Blockbuster and then want want to purchase the move from Blockbuster you're still going to have to pay the price of the movie. You might get a discount on the movie, but then you're also getting a "nephilim-size" discount on ownership of this package. 

This isn't unusual for other software programs nowadays. For instance, there is a fitness app that has options for a monthly subscription, a yearly subscription, or a one-time payment of for a lifetime license. If you subscribe for one month they aren't going to offer you a lifetime subscription with the cost of one month subtracted. 

Posts 6071
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 10:20 PM

Blockbuster 馃槀馃槀馃槀 Are they even around anymore? 馃槣

Posts 1808
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 10:36 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

Brad:

So wait a second.  I have access right now to these additional features of L8 in the Mike Heiser upgrade through my Faithlife Connect package.  But now if I want to purchase the Mike Heiser I am having to pay additional for the overall package just so I can "own" the resources I have through Faithlife Connect already?

How is this fair?

If you rent a movie from Blockbuster and then want want to purchase the move from Blockbuster you're still going to have to pay the price of the movie. You might get a discount on the movie, but then you're also getting a "nephilim-size" discount on ownership of this package. 

This isn't unusual for other software programs nowadays. For instance, there is a fitness app that has options for a monthly subscription, a yearly subscription, or a one-time payment of for a lifetime license. If you subscribe for one month they aren't going to offer you a lifetime subscription with the cost of one month subtracted. 

Not that simple.

Logos is double dipping towards Connect subscribers. If you're not careful with your finances, i guess, go for it. Especially if you're a blind fanatic.

No financial advisor would recommend paying double. Especially if you're planning to resubscribe Connect in May (day 1 members)

I know Logos made it even hard to make a decision for people by giving the $10 off to buy the Mike Heiser's bundle.... BUT .... that is part of their plan to gain your money! As if you'll lose something if you don't buy it. Remember, "money not spent is money earned"

Resist the temptation... Just my thoughts.

Posts 2971
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 10:40 PM

Adam:
should I be bothered that I don't see the "Nephilim-Sized Savings" as the original poster has put?

Ignore the sticker shock for a moment, and hover over the (?) next to the sale price. That savings is 51% off your dynamic price. When that promotion ends, the special edition will regularly be twice as expensive.

Packages may be 25% off at launch, but we rarely see one at 51% off.

Posts 2971
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 11:16 PM

mike:
Logos is double dipping towards Connect subscribers. If you're not careful with your finances, i guess, go for it. Especially if you're a blind fanatic.

For some of us, the Special Edition cost us much less than the feature set would cost (and it also came with some courses and books).

I happened to pay about $35 for features that would have cost $140.

I'm not a financial advisor, but I'd say that's a small price to pay for my features to be up-to-date when my subscription ends.

Posts 873
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 12:01 AM

Denise:

Justin Gatlin:
Faithlife has decided to make you purchase the datasets in this product, even though you already subscribe to them. It is why I did not buy it.

Interesting perspective. I signed for the resource; the other stuff (datasets, media) came along for the ride.

Actually, I'm fearful Logos may introduce a future killer feature (ok, unfounded fear). And to get it, they'd want me to pay for all the previous junk. So, this is like immunization.

For me, in this package, I owned all the high ticket books already, so the datasets drove the cost. Thus, I did not buy and was explaining to him why, unlike a regular base package, Connect did not help him. Personally, I have observed that each version of Logos seems to treat the newer datasets as more expensive. So buying now will lower my dynamic price if/when I stop subscribing, but by less than I paid. So it does not make sense to me. 

Posts 873
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 12:01 AM

Denise:

Justin Gatlin:

For me, in this package, I owned all the high ticket books already, so the datasets drove the cost. Thus, I did not buy and was explaining to him why, unlike a regular base package, Connect did not help him. Personally, I have observed that each version of Logos seems to treat the newer datasets as more expensive. So buying now will lower my dynamic price if/when I stop subscribing, but by less than I paid. So it does not make sense to me. 

Posts 432
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 5:19 AM

mike:

Not that simple.

No financial advisor would recommend paying double. Especially if you're planning to resubscribe Connect in May (day 1 members)

I know Logos made it even hard to make a decision for people by giving the $10 off to buy the Mike Heiser's bundle.... BUT .... that is part of their plan to gain your money! As if you'll lose something if you don't buy it. Remember, "money not spent is money earned"

Resist the temptation... Just my thoughts.

It kind of us that simple because if you choose to buy the features and subscribe to Connect then that's your choice. Logos isn't double dipping, you are. Logos didn't make you subscribe or buy the features. Logos also isn't hiding anything, so if you didn't know you were purchasing some features you already are renting that's not poor on Logos' part... That's poor on your part.

Frankly I don't really care about Connect and haven't been subscribed for a long time. I'd rather just pay for the features once, at a  good price, and I'll upgrade in two or three years when they have their next release.

Posts 935
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 5:51 AM

Not being funny but it seems like an absurd claim from a biblical scholar that they think they can read the Bible 'unfiltered'. Does he really think he is immune to denominational, cultural, privilege and social biases?

讙址旨诐志讞止砖侄讈讱职之 诇止纸讗志讬址讞职砖执讈知讬讱职 诪执肢诪侄旨芝讱指 讜职汁诇址讬职诇指讛 讻址旨讬旨郑讜止诐 讬指讗执謶讬专 讻址旨譂讞植砖值讈讬讻指謼讛 讻指旨讗讜止专指纸讛

Posts 432
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 6:05 AM

Having read (and listened to) Heiser, I don't think he thinks this. I think he's guilty of some over-marketing about how revolutionary his ideas are... similar to, say, N.T. Wright in some of his books.  

Reading ancient culture x and mapping it onto Scripture for "new" and "revolutionary" insights is all the rage these days (Walton, Wright, Heiser, etc.)

Posts 1331
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 8:50 AM

John Goodman:

Not being funny but it seems like an absurd claim from a biblical scholar that they think they can read the Bible 'unfiltered'. Does he really think he is immune to denominational, cultural, privilege and social biases?

Don't worry, John.  From what I've seen/heard from him, he makes it clear it's doubtful that anyone will ever be able to read the Bible totally "unfiltered", but that it is an important goal for us all to keep in mind and that there are things we can do to improve our awareness, desire, and ability to do it.

Posts 501
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 6:28 AM

Hi John:

John Goodman:
Does he really think he is immune to denominational, cultural, privilege and social biases?

A little off topic: nice list you posted, by any chance, can you recommend a resource that explores such biases (best if in L8)?

Thanks ahead of time for your input on this.

Page 3 of 5 (98 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS