Mike Heiser Special Edition Logos 7

Page 4 of 5 (98 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 97 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 20
Roger Pitot | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 6:53 AM

This was a great deal for me. $194 was only a little more than my price to upgrade to full feature. I got most of the features I wanted plus a bunch of other resources.

I am very happy, unlike some of the others on here. Well I guess you'll never please all the people, but for me, many thanks Logos!

Posts 290
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:34 AM

Roger Pitot:

Well I guess you'll never please all the people, but for me, many thanks Logos!

Same here, thank you FL for this generous offer.

Posts 1218
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 7:44 AM

I am also very happy. Thanks!

Posts 422
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 8:10 AM

Hamilton Ramos:

Hi John:

John Goodman:
Does he really think he is immune to denominational, cultural, privilege and social biases?

A little off topic: nice list you posted, by any chance, can you recommend a resource that explores such biases (best if in L8)?

Thanks ahead of time for your input on this.

Not that you asked me, but N.T. Wright discusses this (and his solution: critical realism) in The New Testament and the People of God. That's from a theological perspective. Of course, it's pretty standard knowledge across all disciplines nowadays. For instance, if you'd like to see some discussion of it in the political sphere cf. Jonathan Haidt The Righteous Mind and Thomas Sowell's A Conflict of Visions. Cornelius Van Til made the "no brute fact" a basic feature of his entire apologetic method. But no other camp of apologetics would deny the force of presuppositions today. In philosophy, and with other solutions, cf. maybe Thomas Reid's common sense philosophy and Michael Polanyi. Of course the entire history of philosophy (epistemology) could be inserted here... but this is where I'd dip my toes in if I were curious.

Oops, almost forgot the field of science. Cf. Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.

Posts 9811
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 8:32 AM

Hamilton Ramos:

Hi John:

John Goodman:
Does he really think he is immune to denominational, cultural, privilege and social biases?

A little off topic: nice list you posted, by any chance, can you recommend a resource that explores such biases (best if in L8)?

Thanks ahead of time for your input on this.

I'd argue the exact opposite. In religions, and watching actual behavior, parents, friends, etc are the criticality. And so also, what Jesus taught. Community. The religious text is primarily a stablizer like on an airplane ... keeps people from constantly arguing. So, social bias is important. And Metzger admits as much, when trying to decipher the greek ... he said he chose his beliefs.

That's why selecting relative to ones opinions is the norm, and quite valid.

Posts 33
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 10:17 AM

In relation to the value of the Mike Heiser Special Edition—this was the first engine I have purchased since Libronix. Yes, I have added books, but I waited for the no-cost version of the L5 through L7 engine when I could not longer activate books on Libby. This package pushed the correct buttons on my books wanted list (a bunch of original language tools) and the data sets of interest, as well as courses of interest. Someone at Faithlife apparently was reading my mind and finally came up with a package that appealed to me.

I would imagine it is difficult for Faithlife to provide packages attractive to customers of my inclination and philosophy, as so aptly expressed by once Presidential Candidate Pat Paulson: "Picky, Picky, Picky." ;)

Shalom,

Joseph

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 9811
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 11:00 AM

Joseph Sollenberger:

In relation to the value of the Mike Heiser Special Edition—this was the first engine I have purchased since Libronix. Yes, I have added books, but I waited for the no-cost version of the L5 through L7 engine when I could not longer activate books on Libby. This package pushed the correct buttons on my books wanted list (a bunch of original language tools) and the data sets of interest, as well as courses of interest. Someone at Faithlife apparently was reading my mind and finally came up with a package that appealed to me.

I would imagine it is difficult for Faithlife to provide packages attractive to customers of my inclination and philosophy, as so aptly expressed by once Presidential Candidate Pat Paulson: "Picky, Picky, Picky." ;)

Shalom,

Joseph

I agree completely. Also my 1st since Libronix.

It's clearly a Libby 5-Star package!

Posts 473
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 11:24 AM

J. Remington:

Thanks for the mentioned resources, the topic seems very interesting, I will research further.

Posts 473
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 11:39 AM

Hi Denise:

Hoping I am not misunderstanding:

Denise:
In religions, and watching actual behavior, parents, friends, etc are the criticality

Significant other modeling is important, until you get to a place where your views are challenged, and then you have to research and adjust your frame of reference. 

It does not happen to all, as some do not go to a place (e.g. college far from home) where you meet way different worldviews for comparison (think culture shock).

Denise:
also, what Jesus taught. Community. The religious text is primarily a stablizer like on an airplane ... keeps people from constantly arguing.

Wonder about this: Jesus had to explain the disciples much "beginning from Moses...".

Some believers think there have been different "angel of the church" servants through time, that bring certain light for persons of that time to be illuminated, all from the Holy Spirit. Some are: Ireneaus, Luther, Wesley, etc. And is as if they are able to open a particular understanding of Jesus' teachings, to find a particular application for that era, but still edifies and enriches Christianity as a whole.

I guess this is what many refer to as tradition, helping making sense of Scripture for the contextual situation. 

In such sense, social bias is important as you mention, but that should not allow irrational, or doctrines not in consonance with the nature and character of God to be accepted nor eiseiezed into the text.

Chosing beliefs under the Holy Spirit is a God given right. Trying to impose any set of doctrines (deemed orthodox by some) is not the original intent in the Bible.

All this can become complex: were the Bereans predetermined (seems so) to be nobler, and to diligently search the Scriptures to see if things were so, or did factors help them be that way (leaders, geographical and socioeconomic situation, etc.)?

Just for reflection, not to start polemics.

Thanks for your input.

Posts 773
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 1:31 PM

So is this L8 or L7?

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 873
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 1:35 PM

Cynthia in Florida:

So is this L8 or L7?

Definitely L8. It includes workflows and some other new features.

Posts 773
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 1:36 PM

I thought so!  Okay, I have a friend who's going to make this her first Logos purchase as opposed to the Basic.

Thanks!

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 26855
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 4:45 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
So is this L8 or L7?

I assume that a user purchasing this would gain the L8 engine... but if not, it should be available soon for everyone. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 584
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 9:27 PM

Do I understand correctly that this offer includes 5 Mobile Ed courses:

BI 101 Introducing Biblical Interpretation

BI 161 Problems in Bible Interpretation: Difficult Passages I

BI 162 Problems in Bible Interpretation: Difficult Passages II

NT 281 How We Got the New Testament

OT 281 How We Got the Old Testament

All these courses?

If I recall correctly, NT 281 and OT 281 were part of a flash sale around Christmas time.

Posts 2930
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 9:42 PM

Ted Weis:
All these courses?

Yes, the complete courses (video, transcripts, activities, audio).

Posts 584
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 8:39 PM

Wow. Hard to pass up. It would also add to my library Charlesworth's OT Pseudepigrapha, which I've wanted for long time.

Posts 2930
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 8:45 PM

Ted Weis:

Wow. Hard to pass up. It would also add to my library Charlesworth's OT Pseudepigrapha, which I've wanted for long time.

Good deal! Make sure to purchase by February 7th, before its introductory pricing disappears!

Posts 13
Jack Nørdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2019 2:10 AM

Can anyone help me out? I am interested in this offer, but as I was trying to figure out if I want to buy or not, I read a text sample from: The Bible Unfiltered: Approaching Scripture on Its Own Terms, and it seems like Mike was telling that the New Testaments writers were in some cases interpreting the OT wrong. It was about Acts 15 and Amos 9.

I hope I'm wrong, but I couldn't read more in that sample.

Posts 1218
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2019 3:22 AM

Jack Nørdam:

it seems like Mike was telling that the New Testaments writers were in some cases interpreting the OT wrong. It was about Acts 15 and Amos 9.

I hope I'm wrong, but I couldn't read more in that sample. 

In the text sample you read dr. Heiser is discussing the question if you should always interpret biblical prophecy literally. I'll quote the concluding paragraphs:

"Did James and Luke misread the Bible, then? Not necessarily. The “remnant of Edom” could be considered an abstract reference to “non-elect” people: Remember that the Edomites were descendants of Esau (Gen 36:1), who surrendered his birthright (Gen 25). Therefore, the non-literal translation of “mankind” in the Septuagint version of Amos 9:11 is within the realm of accurate meaning.

Comparing these passages illustrates important lessons: Interpreting biblical prophecy cannot be distilled to a simple maxim, and everything cannot be taken literally. The New Testament shows us otherwise."

Michael S. Heiser, The Bible Unfiltered: Approaching Scripture on Its Own Terms (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2017), 46.

Posts 9811
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2019 7:37 AM

HJ. van der Wal:

From Heiser: 'Comparing these passages illustrates important lessons: Interpreting biblical prophecy cannot be distilled to a simple maxim, and everything cannot be taken literally. The New Testament shows us otherwise."

He's kind of funny like the New Jerome authors. They follow the text excellently, until the last moment. Then hop back into their religious tradition (Heiser, evangelical, Jerome's, Catholic) at the last moment. Jesus appears to have had fun with this approach in his debates with the Pharisees, who were heavy on 'interpreting'.

EDIT:

Coincidentally, reading during lunch (McNamara; Targums /NT):

"In the second century ce a dictum ascribed to Rabbi Judah ben Ilai gives as a principle for rendering the Hebrew text: “He who translates a verse quite literally is a liar, while he who adds anything thereto is a blasphemer” (t. Megillah 4:41; b. Qidd. 49a"

Doesn't leave a lot of wiggle-room.

Page 4 of 5 (98 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS