First Impressions

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 73
Robert Kelbe | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2019 12:45 PM

I finally bought Logos, and I wanted to give some initial impressions, suggestions, and possible bugs.

I decided to go with Logos over Accordance because of what I perceived to be a better user interface, a larger library, and (in my opinion) a higher probability of being there in the future. First, I am very happy with it overall. I am running a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, and it seems to be quick enough to be usable. I love all the detail that went in to so many different functions and features. I am only just getting started. 

Here are a few things I noticed as a first-time user:

Pen/ Touch Compatibility
  • These comments also posted on https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-8/suggestions/619605-focus-on-tablet-and-touchscreen-features:
  • Handwriting input panel doesn't work in notes (but does in prayer lists)
  • Dragging does not select text in prayer lists (but does in notes)
  • In home screen, dragging selects rather than scrolls
  • In a Bible, dragging scrolls rather than selecting texts
  • In Program Settings, dragging neither scrolls nor selects texts, and if you drag the slider bar, the page scrolls in reverse of how it scrolls if you grab the same slider bar with the mouse! You really have to try this one to believe it.
  • A word to the developers - with touch, dragging up/down should scroll, whereas dragging left/right should select text. That works flawlessly in TheWord Bible software.
Bible search
  • It is impossible to easily add verses from a Bible search to a verse list, or copy into a sermon.
  • Text should be selectable so you can copy and paste it directly from the search results.
  • I know it is possible to drag verses to a passage list. It should be possible to Ctrl/Shift select verses to select multiple verse to drag to a passage list.
Word Study
  • Issue when I search for marvelous then click the Hebrew “to do something wonderful...” - I get duplicate results (Isaiah 29:14 is listed twice, as is Zec 8:6). Is that supposed to happen?
New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • There seems to be a bug where the Bible translations do not match the the chosen Bible translation. It opens with different versions for “New Testament” and “Source”. After that it is spotty. If I click ESV, nothing changes. If I then click CSB, only “New Testament” changes to CSB. If I then select LEB, the “New Testament” remains CSB and the “Source” changes to NRSV. After a while it seems to start working as expected.
Morphology Charts
  • Make it easier to change Bible translation (preferably, make this consistent across tools)
Timeline
  • Is it possible to overlay different timelines? Some people estimate the date of creation differently, and its difficult to know what to trust when some dates are off. For example, a timeline for the LXX vs the Masoretic text.
Sermon editor
  • Why does it not show Bible links when hovering over them? It seems to have automatically detected them? I can’t even click on them to get them to open up in a new window.
  • Inconsistent behavior pasting Scripture into the sermon editor. Copy pasting from a Bible makes a single block that you can’t trim or edit (underline, for example) later. Adding to a verse list and then copying, and pasting into the sermon editor does let you trim or edit it later. There should be an easy way to copy editable text directly from the Bible, without using the copy Bible verses tool. You should be able to select the text in the Bible, and choose in the popup to copy Bible verses in whatever format.
  • Sermon editor is unable to select and drag text (standard text editor feature).
Missing functionality
  • I really miss the clipboard detection feature in theWord, which automatically detected copied verses and displayed them in a tooltip. I could read a pdf and easily look up the verse references in any translation without switching programs and making a new verse list from the clipboard.
Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 1:11 PM

Robert Kelbe:
Pen/ Touch Compatibility

This is something a number of users have talked about.

Robert Kelbe:
It is impossible to easily add verses from a Bible search to a verse list, or copy into a sermon.

The the Search panel menu (the three dots at the top right) select "Save as Passage List"

Robert Kelbe:
ssue when I search for marvelous then click the Hebrew “to do something wonderful...” - I get duplicate results (Isaiah 29:14 is listed twice, as is Zec 8:6). Is that supposed to happen?

The lemma occurs twice in each of those verses

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 1:31 PM

Robert Kelbe:
Bible search

• It is impossible to easily add verses from a Bible search to a verse list, or copy into a sermon.
  • Text should be selectable so you can copy and paste it directly from the search results.
  • I know it is possible to drag verses to a passage list. It should be possible to Ctrl/Shift select verses to select multiple verse to drag to a passage list.

From a Bible Search, you can click the panel menu (three vertical dots) and choose "Save as Passage List".

From a Passage List, you can choose Add then ...from another Passage List (created from another Bible Search).  Alternatively, Ctrl/Shift select verses in one List and drag them to another List. As that moves the selected verses, just use copy/paste from the right-click menu.

You can also select a portion of text (with bible verses) in a resource and choose Add then ...selected text.

Robert Kelbe:
Word Study

• Issue when I search for marvelous then click the Hebrew “to do something wonderful...” - I get duplicate results (Isaiah 29:14 is listed twice, as is Zec 8:6). Is that supposed to happen?

With ESV, only Zech 8.6 is repeated, possibly because it occurs twice in the verse. The lemma in Is 29:14 is twice translated "wonderful", so that explains why the verse is missing with ESV.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 2:20 PM

Robert Kelbe:
New Testament Use of the Old Testament

• There seems to be a bug where the Bible translations do not match the the chosen Bible translation. It opens with different versions for “New Testament” and “Source”. After that it is spotty. If I click ESV, nothing changes. If I then click CSB, only “New Testament” changes to CSB. If I then select LEB, the “New Testament” remains CSB and the “Source” changes to NRSV. After a while it seems to start working as expected.

It is buggy. For each bug you have listed here, create a separate thread with the title prefaced by Bug:

Robert Kelbe:
Morphology Charts

• Make it easier to change Bible translation (preferably, make this consistent across tools)

Your preferred bible is used by many features, so I assume you know how to Prioritize resources?

Robert Kelbe:
Missing functionality

• I really miss the clipboard detection feature in theWord, which automatically detected copied verses and displayed them in a tooltip. I could read a pdf and easily look up the verse references in any translation without switching programs and making a new verse list from the clipboard.

You would have to explain that in more detail, but if you have an alternative method in Logos then accept that as "different" to the way other programs work.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 651
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 3:13 PM

By the way, Robert, welcome to the Fora. And thank you for detailing your first impressions.

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 5:28 PM

Robert Kelbe:
Timeline

• Is it possible to overlay different timelines? Some people estimate the date of creation differently, and its difficult to know what to trust when some dates are off. For example, a timeline for the LXX vs the Masoretic text.

It doesn't "overlay", but different timelines are shown. e.g. for Abraham (Early and Late), for Paul the Apostle, for the birth of Jesus (9 BC Earliest possible, 7 BC Early, or 4 BC Late!), and for the date of Creation. ca means approximately. These may accommodate LXX vs Masoretic dates (as well as the 1 AD problem).

Another problem is that the Timeline shows that life occurred for several millennia before the (biblical) proposed dates of Creation, including Noah and the Great Flood (6000/7000 BC)! So there is a mixture of scientific estimates as well as biblical.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 73
Robert Kelbe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:08 PM

Yes, it was that that made me wonder what perspective Logos was coming from.

I thought it might be cool (and good for Logos) if you could buy alternative timelines.

Posts 73
Robert Kelbe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:31 PM

I hope no one takes this as a criticism of Logos, or complaining. 

On the contrary, I am very impressed with Logos! I also enjoy giving feedback and doing what I can to make it better.

theWord has a clipboard monitor which continually monitors your clipboard for Bible verses. Whenever you copy text with Bible verses in it, it looks them up for you and displays them over your cursor in your chosen translation. You can also add it to a verse list from there. The popup disappears when you move your mouse away from it. It is very handy for looking up verses on a web page, a PDF, a Word document, etc. without having to switch applications, add a tab in Logos, etc. All you need to do is select the text and Ctrl-C and there it is. Sometimes you just want to know what the Bible verse was referring to, but you don't need to do anything with it.

http://www.theword.net/manual/index.html?clipboard_monitor.htm

Clipboard Monitor Window

Posts 2196
LogosEmployee

Robert Kelbe:
Yes, it was that that made me wonder what perspective Logos was coming from.

The timeline tool displays dates that have been taken from a large variety of resources. Click on the event to view the resources which mention the date. In the event that different resources contain different dates, these are frequently split into multiple events (a "late" and and "early" date for example).

Posts 37
Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 4:44 AM

Robert Kelbe:

theWord has a clipboard monitor which continually monitors your clipboard for Bible verses. Whenever you copy text with Bible verses in it, it looks them up for you and displays them over your cursor in your chosen translation. You can also add it to a verse list from there. The popup disappears when you move your mouse away from it. It is very handy for looking up verses on a web page, a PDF, a Word document, etc. without having to switch applications, add a tab in Logos, etc. All you need to do is select the text and Ctrl-C and there it is. Sometimes you just want to know what the Bible verse was referring to, but you don't need to do anything with it.

I've been wishing for this functionality myself. So far, the closest I've got is to copy the whole text to clipboard and then create a passage list "from clipboard" (see this thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/157022/947289.aspx ) but this is usually more of a hassle than it's worth so I generally just look up each reference (in the PDF I'm reading) manually.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS