Which 'tradition' to choose

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 8:43 PM

Bill, your contribution, has, I think, has led to a minor (Logos) ephiphany.  Buying Pentacostal Bronze for $65 - way below the cost of that product if you had started Logos with it - tells me that the price of the second tradition when you building is way less than shown on the site.  My question is now whether than pricing applies when I start with Logos:  is the cost of two traditions the total of the price of each them, or do you get the discount that you are talking about?

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 11:16 PM

Ted Sherwood:
is the cost of two traditions the total of the price of each them, or do you get the discount that you are talking about?

It sounds like you are describing what Logos calls "Dynamic Pricing" Disregard my comment if you are already aware of it, but Dynamic Pricing is Logos way of making sure that you don't pay for a resource twice.

Let's say you buy Base Package A that has 200 resources. You then want to buy Base Package B that has 100 resources, 50 of which are also included in Package A, which you already own. Logos has some wild formula that calculates a valued discount to make sure you receive a discount that sets a value for the 50 Resources you already paid for.

Sometimes it's a real steal. I am looking to purchase the Academic Professional BP for under $250, specifically because it will include TDOT ($699) and ICC ($1570). Not too interested in ICC... but... it may help me out with Dynamic Pricing for my next purchase. I'm just stoked I can get TDOT plus some other stuff for 65% off, the same strategy Bill is contemplating for the Life Application Commentary set.  

If you were looking to purchase two Base Packages in one go, you should contact sales, from my understanding, buying two Base Packages online may not give you a proper Dynamic Pricing discount.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 11:30 PM

Another very helpful post.  Thanks Richard. (Logos website very pretty but nowhere near helpful enough for first-timers.  I can see no mention of Dynamic Pricing.  In fact the search box is only for products.

Posts 3727
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 11:44 PM

Ted Sherwood:
I can see no mention of Dynamic Pricing.

Dynamic pricing won't appear until you make your first purchase. Once you own some resources, other collections which happen to contain some of what you own, will have a lower price:

If you're just looking for information about dynamic pricing, this link might be helpful:

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 11:55 PM

Thank you for the example.  (And if Logos staff ever read the forum so that they can improve their business:  Yes, I found the page on Dynamic Pricing by using site:logos.com.  But I shouldn't have to.  There is no search function on the site, and the site map is at a high level.  The other issue is that there is no mention of any saving when buying more than one tradition as a new user.  Without this forum I would have been lost.)

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 12:19 AM

Ted Sherwood:
And if Logos staff ever read the forum so that they can improve their business:

If it is any consolation to you, the FL staff does check the Forums (Bob the CEO of FL and other Executives as well). I know they start threads asking for insight and chime in when they see fit, usually open to suggestions, ideas, and challenges.

I personally think the Forum Community is probably one of the best things FL has going for it - nothing against customer service, but the first few years of me forum-stalking during L4-L5 was a tremendous help. Between The Forum, Logos Pro Videos, and a driven curiosity, I've done well learning the ropes (admittedly not as experienced as most power-users, but I'm a confidently functional user.) 

You should definitely stick around and ask as many questions in new threads as possible.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 1072
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 10:50 AM

Denise:

William Gabriel:

The one you pick is the one you’ll be judged by in eternity. Think of this as your Divergent choosing ceremony on a spiritual level.

William, surely you're jesting?

Of course--I tried to lay it on pretty thick.

Posts 660
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 10:56 AM

Aren't there also some Scholar's packages too?

-Michael

Posts 3727
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 11:40 AM

Michael S.:
Aren't there also some Scholar's packages too?

Are you thinking of the Logos 8 Academic packages?

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 660
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 7:08 AM

PetahChristian:
Are you thinking of the Logos 8 Academic packages?

YES!! Thanks.

Posts 660
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 7:24 AM

PetahChristian:

Interesting that this does not come with a free Mobile Ed course...

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2019 8:09 AM

From a Baptist pastor who did Diamond in Logos 5, Collectors in Logos 6 and who has now been more selective in 7 and 8 (since I already have most of what I want): the peak library for a generalist, evangelical preacher is standard Gold. I am grateful for a massive library purchased over a number of years, but if I had it to do over, Gold is the place to start.

The lowest price will come by subscribing to Faithlife Connect (so your software is always up to date) and then opting out of buying the datasets on Standard Gold. That will give you good commentaries, good dictionaries and an overall strong foundation, you will have an annual subscription, but it comes with some other perks (two free books a month, on top of Logos' free ones). If you ever decide to quit renewing, you can buy the feature set you know you will use at a subscriber  discount. Plus you got a discount on the base package (I think 5%) which probably covers the subscription.

For supplementing, Factbook collection has got a lot of valuable books at a low price. If you are into the original languages, see what it would cost to add the academic package. For me it was a great deal. If not, I would just go with Gold until you see what you would like that you do not have, and look at tradition base packages to scratch that itch. 

Posts 9
Ted Sherwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2019 1:13 AM

Thank you Justin I'm a member of a Baptist community now, and am not too far from your preacher description, so a powerful recommendation for me.  And the purchase + subscription option hadn't been mentioned yet, so I'm glad I didn't rush.  Thank you again.

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS