Looking for historical dictionary/encyclopedia

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1324
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 30 2019 9:35 AM

I was rewatching the Luther film, and looking up some of its historical inaccuracies. I decided to run a search in my library for "indulgence" and found little. I'm now looking for something like an encyclopedia or dictionary covering Christian history (including Eastern Christianity, doctrinal terms and debates, etc., from an academically neutral perspective, as much as possible. 

Suggestions?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 9854
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 10:09 AM

Of course you have your standard historical theology in Logos. Basically, alpha listing of pieces, not development.

https://www.logos.com/product/3072/the-dictionary-of-historical-theology

The closer match, but not quite what you're looking for; has a Europe-centric perspective, as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Christianity-First-Three-Thousand-Years-ebook/dp/B0030CVQ5I/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=#reader_B0030CVQ5I 

Or search Logos theological history.

One I like, but not your goal, latin dictionary of Christian theo-terms.

https://www.logos.com/product/3608/dictionary-of-latin-and-greek-theological-terms 

Posts 5223
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 12:13 PM

This might be exactly what you are looking for:

Indulgences. 

1. Roots of the RC doctrine of indulgences reach back to the ancient practice of penitential* discipline. As the penitential system changed its character and the RC sacrament of penance* evolved, penance was no longer regarded as a mere expression of sorrow for sin or even as the discharge of ch. penalties, but as pleasing to God, meritorious, and compensatory for sin. It was held to remove, acc. to the degree of its merit, a portion of that temporal punishment of sin (chiefly purgatory*) which could not be removed by absolution.* Commutations* of penance, or indulgences, became commutations of divine punishment and were gained by giving money to chs. and monasteries, by pilgrimages,* sometimes by direct payment to the priest. Contrition,* or at least attrition,* was in theory necessary to gain indulgence.

2. The Crusades* marked an epoch in the hist. of indulgences, for each crusader received plenary indulgence (see par. 5). In the later Middle Ages plenary indulgences were offered in gen. for opposition against various “heretics” and their followers.

3. Boniface VIII (see Popes, 12) instituted special plenary indulgences connected with jubilees* beginning 1300.

4. Sixtus IV (see Popes, 16) introd. indulgences for souls in purgatory* 1476.

5. M. Luther’s* exposure of the indulgence traffic convinced many of the corruption of the RC Ch. and prepared them to welcome the restored Gospel. The Council of Trent* made quaestors of alms (indulgence preachers) scapegoats, “absolutely [Lat. penitus] abolished” their name and service [Lat. usus], but decreed “that the use of indulgences, most salutary for Christian people and approved by authority of holy councils, is to be retained in the Church,” that “moderation be observed,” and “that all evil traffic in them … be absolutely [Lat. omnino] abolished” (Sess. XXI, Decree Concerning Reform, chap. ix; XXV, Decree Concerning Reform, chap. xxi, Decree Concerning Indulgences). Indulgences are called plenary (remitting all temporal punishment due to sin) or partial (e.g., for 40 days, which means the equivalent of that period of canonical penance). Some indulgences can be gained only at particular places or at certain times; others are attached to objects, e.g., crosses, medals. To gain some indulgences, prayers must be said.

See also Opera supererogationis; Treasury of Merits.

RC Roman Catholic

* separately listed

RC Roman Catholic

* separately listed

ch. church; chapter (usually abbr. chap.)

acc. according

* separately listed

* separately listed

* separately listed

chs. church; chapter (usually abbr. chap.)

* separately listed

* separately listed

* separately listed

* separately listed

hist. historian; historic(al, -ally); history;  historico

gen. general(ly)

* separately listed

introd. introduce(d); introducing; introduction; introductory

* separately listed

* separately listed

RC Roman Catholic

Ch. church; chapter (usually abbr. chap.)

* separately listed

Lat. Latin

Lat. Latin

Lat. Latin

Sess. session

chap. chapter

chap. chapter

e.g. Lat. exempli gratia, for example

e.g. Lat. exempli gratia, for example

Erwin L. Lueker, ed., Christian Cyclopedia (St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2000).

-dan

Posts 24347
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2019 12:29 PM

Ben:
I decided to run a search in my library for "indulgence" and found little. I'm now looking for something like an encyclopedia or dictionary covering Christian history (including Eastern Christianity, doctrinal terms and debates, etc., from an academically neutral perspective, as much as possible. 

A Basic search for   indulgencies, indulgences, indulgence is more rewarding, and I used a temporary collection by specifying * -type:(bible,commentary) instead of "All Resources".

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 163
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 10:30 PM

Mark Barnes made a Personal Book which he made available on the Files section of the forums called...

The Dictionary of Christianity and the Bible.

It had a large number of hits when searching for "Indulgence NEAR luther".

Heres the link....  https://community.logos.com/forums/t/82064.aspx 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS