Aramaic Targums

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 36
Deepak Kumar Singh | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 31 2019 6:11 AM

I have been intrigued by Aramaic Targums, the translations and paraphrases of the Hebrew Scriptures that were read in the synagogues before, during, and after the time of Jesus - more specifically, the concept of memra appearing hundreds of times in these Targums.

So, I was looking for Aramaic Targuns with full morphological tagging containing Onkelos, Neofiti, Pseudo-Jonathan, Jonathan, the targums of the Writings, Geniza and other Targum fragments. I found that the same is available in Accordance but seems unavailable in Logos. I also observed that Aramaic English Translation in Aramaic Bible series is a lot more costlier than one available in Accordance. Is what I found correct or am I missing something? I hope there may be many more seekers like me.

Posts 9855
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 6:29 AM

Logos' Targums are from CAL and tagged. They're from Cohn (an amalgum) ... not the overlapping versions. As such, they're ok-ish. 

The english is old, though not particularly over-priced. Never have used them.

Aramaic Bible is my favorite.Love it. I don't think Accordance carries. A bit expensive but it's included in the Orthodox biggest. It's primarily a differences discussion (critical if you will, though doesn't deal much with the aramaic aging, etc).

But you're right. Nothing in Logos like:

https://www.accordancebible.com/buzz/articles/targ.php 

Posts 9855
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2019 6:42 AM

Just adding, there's historically a lot of interest in the Memra, so it's easy to find.

This book, however, has a nice packaged comparison:

https://www.logos.com/product/39637/jewish-targums-and-johns-logos-theology 

Posts 140
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2019 10:16 PM

+1 to what Denise says.  Also, McNamara et al's targurm translations are now in Portfolio+ with Logos 8 which is awesome.  Also in Orthodox/Verbum Diamond.

Posts 36
Deepak Kumar Singh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 5 2019 4:15 AM

Thanks for the reply...Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS