Changing a highlight to a note or the reverse

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 973
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 1 2019 10:44 PM

If I have an existing highlight and add a note to it, the resource does not display the note icon automatically. This means that the note is effectively invisible from my resource, because I cannot hover over the highlight and see the note. It is not even clear that there is a note at that location.

I appreciate the ease of changing the note icon, but I should not have to manually select a note icon when I add a note to what started out as a highlight.

By the same token, if I delete my note but retain the highlighted text, I would like to see the note icon disappear from the resource, so it becomes a pure highlight rather than an empty note.

Posts 1804
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2019 12:53 PM

We've talked about allowing users to manually adjust the note type, but for now have opted not to introduce more UI into the system.

It's pretty easy to make a couple of quick adjustments as you describe, or you could simply create a new note or highlight and delete the old one (especially if having the type match its properties is important to you).

If there's sufficient interest in manually adjusting the note type, we'll consider adding it in the future. But I'm not sure such a feature would force certain properties such as the presence or absence of the note's icon.

Posts 973
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2019 1:12 PM

Thanks, Phil.

In my mind, the difference between a note and a highlight is whether I type any text in it. Both highlight part of the resource, but the note has an icone as well as a highlight and allows previewing by hovering over it. So the note icon is critical to the usability of the note.

It would seem pretty simple to program it to check for any content in the the note edit box when a note/highlight is saved and then tag it as a note or highlight accordingly. If there is no icon, then the default note icon would be used. This would prevent "invisible notes" that do not have an icon indicating it is a note and thus no ability to preview the note.

I have no idea why some of my notes came over from Logos 7 without any note icon, so they are invisible notes. As I find them (by accident) I have been changing them to use an icon. They are pretty useless to me because I cannot see them from the resource.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS