Show Various Translations of the Same Passage?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3
Marlyce Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 7 2019 1:02 PM

Friends,

I am certain that there is a facility in Logos 7 to get a list of the same passage in many different translations. In fact, I think I may have used it in the past on an occasion or two (although I am old and the memory is not so good any more!). But today I find myself absolutely perplexed as to how to see all the various translations of, for example, Col. 4:23 in as many of the English Versions as I have on Logos? Can someone give me a quick tip to perhaps jog the old memory? Thanks!

Mike

Posts 17
Robert S Stramski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 1:05 PM

Hi Mike,

This is the first time I get to help instead of being helped! Ha!

https://www.logos.com/logos-pro/text-comparison

Robert

Posts 1301
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 1:12 PM

A shortcut: If the computer's cursor is on a Bible verse, or on a Bible reference, you can press F7 (in Windows) and it will show you a quick preview of that Bible verse(s) in your top 5 prioritized Bible versions.

Peter

Posts 3
Marlyce Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 1:19 PM

Thanks guys! That's great!

Mike

Posts 28
Leigh Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 2:36 PM

You can also use Power Lookup, as demonstrated in this Morris Proctor video: https://blog.logos.com/2019/01/how-to-quickly-see-one-passage-in-many-bibles/#more-94914

Posts 527
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 6:50 PM

Marlyce, does "Text Comparison" (go to Tools, then "Text" [horizontal arrows pointing left and right]) not do what you want?

Posts 17632
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 10:29 PM

Marlyce Johnson:
But today I find myself absolutely perplexed as to how to see all the various translations of, for example, Col. 4:23 in as many of the English Versions as I have on Logos?

Welcome Big Smile

Colossians Chapter 4 ends with verse 18 so did a Basic search for Colossians 3:23 Milestone in English Bibles with results sorted by Ranked

{Milestone <Co3.23>}

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3
Marlyce Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 3:00 AM

Peter,

If you are still following: I looked in vain yesterday after getting your good answer but couldn't figure out how to prioritize my Bibles. Again, I remember many, many years ago doing it once, but my preferences have changed, and I can't find the way to reorganize and reprioritize the Bibles I would now prefer using. Can you give me a reminder? Thanks!

Posts 2130
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 3:07 AM

Marlyce,

You open the library there should be a prioritize option on the upper right. I answered as if you were using L8 and then notice this is the L7 forum. I no longer have L7, so someone else may be able to provide you a screen shot.

Posts 2020
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 2:58 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

It is extremely frustrating that this type of command doesn't work in localized Logos versions. On a German Logos 8 installation, it produces exactly 0 matches. When I switch to English, a similar list like this one comes up.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 25583
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 4:59 PM

Jan Krohn:
On a German Logos 8 installation, it produces exactly 0

This doesn't make sense to me. Are you sure that it isn't just that you need the German equivalent to "milestone"?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2020
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 3:33 AM

It turned out it requires different verse formatting: Kol3,23 instead of Co3.23.

MJ. Smith:

This doesn't make sense to me. Are you sure that it isn't just that you need the German equivalent to "milestone"?

There's no equivalent. We're on the metric system. Stick out tongue

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS