This post has 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 436
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 7 2019 7:31 PM

what's wrong with Logos users ... Stick out tongue

Posts 481
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2019 8:36 PM

Is Drake using Logos now? 😉

+1 on meme usage. 

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 633
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2019 8:39 AM

I've always felt that there aren't nearly enough memes in these forums. lol

Posts 436
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 6:30 AM

Posts 2775
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 7:43 AM

Kiyah:

I post memes pretty consistently, but they don't seem much appreciated.  (That doesn't stop me, of course.)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 8:25 AM

Doc B:

Kiyah:

I post memes pretty consistently, but they don't seem much appreciated.  (That doesn't stop me, of course.)

Mine gets rejected by some too and I have yet to find an article that says it’s a negative meme. To me is just a cool 😎 funny face that reminds me of Jim Carry, the Mask. Funniest meme ever and definitely better than that pervert drake.

Posts 436
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 8:49 AM

Wink

Actually, most memes are negative--in that the humor is usually at the expense of others. Your particular "cool, funny face" meme is actually a troll face--it signifies that your aim in whatever communicative act you're engaging in is to irritate or annoy people. That's why it would be understood negatively. 

Memes have a public meaning, just like ordinary language, and using them in a private manner (it just means 'x' to me) defeats the purpose of the meme. 

(I'm not trying to meme-police you, just explain why others might not like your use of the troll face meme, even when you tell them how you privately interpret it.)

Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 9:10 AM

J. Remington Bowling:

Memes have a public meaning, just like ordinary language, and using them in a private manner (it just means 'x' to me) defeats the purpose of the meme. 

Where do we find a dictionary of Memes so that we will use them properly?

For example: One meaning of 'LOL' is "Lots of Love".  But to others it means "Laughing out Loud". Where do we find the authority that can tell us the one and only true current meaning of these things?  And how do we find out that the meaning we have been using for some time has now changed?

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 9:25 AM

I found the real guy

Posts 481
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 9:45 AM

David Ames:

As in most of the internet, not always a safe page. But my general reference for Meme-ology is https://knowyourmeme.com. Tracks popularity and meme origins. 

Troll Face story - https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trollface

I would present the Laughing YaoMing face buuuutttt... the internet is not always PC.

Lots of Love. 

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 436
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 10:56 AM

David Ames:

Since memes are a more recent phenomena and have only more recently broken out of internet sub-culture into the broader culture there is no official dictionary. But even "official" dictionaries for ordinary language aren't very "official". 

'LOL' in itself isn't a meme, it's an acronym or 'internet slang' and it does not mean "lots of love" by any standard use of the term. It means "laugh out loud". You and some people you know, or some internet subculture, may use 'lol' to mean 'lots of love' but it would be misleading to simply claim that this is one of its meanings since that would give the impression that if you looked in a dictionary of internet slang you would find that listed as one of its meanings... but you don't. And see here and here.

Like any language, you and your subculture can mean whatever you want by the terms you use. But one shouldn't expect others to understand you or act as if there is no broader, common usage. 

Posts 120
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 11:43 AM
DAL Knowing where yours is from, I can see why some people don't like it.
Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 2:35 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

David Ames:

Since memes are a more recent phenomena and have only more recently broken out of internet sub-culture into the broader culture there is no official dictionary. But even "official" dictionaries for ordinary language aren't very "official". 

'LOL' in itself isn't a meme, it's an acronym or 'internet slang' and it does not mean "lots of love" by any standard use of the term. It means "laugh out loud". You and some people you know, or some internet subculture, may use 'lol' to mean 'lots of love' but it would be misleading to simply claim that this is one of its meanings since that would give the impression that if you looked in a dictionary of internet slang you would find that listed as one of its meanings... but you don't. And see here and here.

Like any language, you and your subculture can mean whatever you want by the terms you use. But one shouldn't expect others to understand you or act as if there is no broader, common usage. 

Yes, it it not meme!  

Found this at https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Talk:LOL

""I have added "lots of love" as being abbreviated to LOL. As far as I know this dates to before LOL's widespread useage as meaning "laughing out loud". Due to its nature, the older meaning of LOL would mostly be confined to personal letters or emails (or in my case SMS. heh). However there are a few sources for this useage. Most noteable being Dictionary.com. I knew LOL as "lots of love" long before I encountered it as meaning "laugh out loud" (and boy, was that a confusing experience, lol). I have put that it is outdated, because I doubt many people would use it these days. ""

Others in the same article disagree    Lots of Love may predate the internet.  While Laughing out loud seems to be very early internet usage. 

Years ago Hackers were the GOOD GUYS that helped you get up and running.  They had a word for those that cause problems: Crackers

Years ago the Hot Rod guys had a name for people that drive fast and crazy: They called them Short Rodders. 

So now why do we call those that cause problems hackers and fast drivers Hot Rodders instead of crackers and Shot Rodders?

Posts 2190
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 2:42 PM

Here's another good resource for memology: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1okSIA8UEY8OqvtjGHFvzA

(Whaddyoumeme. The guy refutes anti-Christian memes!)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 2:51 PM

DBR:
DAL Knowing where yours is from, I can see why some people don't like it.

Where is it from?

I think memes are intended to be used however one see fits. The link provided has some memes with weird captions that don’t even match the meme. So the use of them is very subjective IMO.

DAL

Posts 2775
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 7:56 PM

J. Remington Bowling:
Actually, most memes are negative

I have to disagree. Most memes from positive people are positive. Negative people post negative memes. They are kind of like a gun, a TV, or an internet connection...it all depends on how it is used.

Here are three of my favorites...don't see too much negativity there, do we?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 2775
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 8:00 PM

I also like to use them when arguments go bad. I picked up some NFL referee pics (mostly Ed Hochuli) and turned them into logical/argument memes.  These are endless...here's a few of the good ones.

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 9:15 PM

Doc B:

I also like to use them when arguments go bad. I picked up some NFL referee pics (mostly Ed Hochuli) and turned them into logical/argument memes.  These are endless...here's a few of the good ones.

Thanks for sharing. These are great!

Posts 436
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 5:39 AM

Doc B:
I have to disagree. Most memes from positive people are positive. Negative people post negative memes. They are kind of like a gun, a TV, or an internet connection...it all depends on how it is used.

Suppose there are only 100 memes. 12 of those are 'positive' (not having fun at anyone else's expense (or are having fun at the expense of the meme user)) and the rest are 'negative' (targeted at 'ribbing' the other guy). You would agree that just because you only choose to use the 12 positive memes that doesn't make the sentence "Most memes are positive." true, correct? 

Doc B:
Here are three of my favorites...don't see too much negativity there, do we?

I mean if you're correct that memes can mean whatever the user wants then maybe there is negativity in all three.

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS