AYBC Sale... help picking some

Page 4 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 80 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 26305
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 15 2019 1:36 PM

Wilson Hines:
You and I are just opposite.  That is totally fine.  I'm not being critical, I'm just observing.

Thank you. I merely want people to have an historically accurate view of Milgrom's position - that of an observant Conservative Jew.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 11:16 AM

Michael S.:

Is this sale over in February?

wait...this thread was about a sale??? I thought it was about theological terminology?! Big Smile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 10126
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 5:04 PM

Friedrich:

Michael S.:

Is this sale over in February?

wait...this thread was about a sale??? I thought it was about theological terminology?! Big Smile

Friedrich ... are you Methusaluh? AYB is theology. The rest are 'commentaries'.

It's like asking which KJV in Logos is the inspired one. The thread will not go straight.

(Hint: it's the 1611 one.)

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 7:31 PM

Denise:
Friedrich ... are you Methusaluh?

I am Groot.

Denise:
It's like asking which KJV in Logos is the inspired one. The thread will not go straight.

I am Groot.

Posts 785
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:16 AM

Friedrich:

I am Groot.

I am Groot.

That made me laugh!

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 6:57 AM

Lew Worthington:

Friedrich:

I am Groot.

I am Groot.

That made me laugh!

I am Groot.

Wink

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2019 11:55 AM

LOL on the "I am Groot" comments!

But back to the OP, if you could only get one volume from this sale, what would it be and why?

Posts 373
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 12:33 PM

Jonathan Ray:

Mattillo:
So there is an AYBC sale going on at the moment.  I don't have any AYBCs and I've had people tell me to stay away from them because they tend to lean on the liberal side.  Anyone have any thoughts on "must haves"?  There are quite a few ranked high on Best Commentaries but I know that rating system isn't the best at times.  Thanks in advance

1. Leviticus (Milgrom)
  2. Jonah (Sasson)
  3. Habakkuk (Anderson)
  4. Luke (Fitzmyer)
  5. Acts (Futzmyer)
  6. John (Brown)
  7. Romans (Fitzmyer)
  8. 1 Corinthians (Fitzmyer)
  9. Philemon (Fitzmyer)
  10. Ephesians (Barth)
  11. 1-3 John (Brown)
  12. Revelation (Koester)

I'm assuming the other volumes by Sasson would be good, although I have no firsthand knowledge. Same applies to the Zechariah volumes and some of the other minor prophets by Anderson, Freedman, and Hill. From what I hear, Fox on Proverbs is worth the price of admission.

I really don't understand why the 1-2 Samuel volumes are rated so highly.

Also, if you are studying the Apocryphal books, this set is one of the only ones to cover them in detail.

If you approach this set looking for background information and grammatical expertise, you will find a lot. For theology or practical applications to incorporate into sermons, no.

Well, Jonathon, I appreciate your input.  I went to bestcommentaires and strained and strained and figured out this is what I needed to do.  I also did Levitucs 1,2,3 and Amos this month. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 672
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 2:06 PM

Matthew recently became available in Logos.

https://www.logos.com/product/162594/matthew-introduction-translation-and-notes

Any comments on Albright and Mann?

Posts 785
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 2:09 PM

Dale E Heath:

I own all the other volumes in the series except that one. I don't intend to buy it. By reputation, it's not very good. My impression (made a long time ago, so I don't remember specifics, but I recall its analysis is very thin) agrees with this reputation.

Posts 373
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 2:10 PM

Dale E Heath:

There‘a a thread on here regarding that volume. Is it not lacking? I seem to remember them saying the volume had issues. I’m mobile, so it is hard to look. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 3:58 PM

Wilson Hines:
Well, Jonathon, I appreciate your input.  I went to bestcommentaires and strained and strained and figured out this is what I needed to do.  I also did Levitucs 1,2,3 and Amos this month. 

Great to hear. I picked up Revelation by Koester this time around and highly recommend it from what I have read. Great background information.

Posts 672
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 4:24 PM

Dale E Heath:

The copyright is still 1971, but the publication date is 1995 with 2008 showing at the top of the Logos information page. There have been some negative comments, but these may have been for the previous volume, which is withdrawn. I think I'll bite for $19.99.Hmm

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2019 11:24 PM

I took Acts and Revelation

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 9:56 AM

If you could only get one volume from this sale, what would it be and why?

Posts 373
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2019 10:00 AM

Michael S.:

If you could only get one volume from this sale, what would it be and why?

Milgrom’s second book of Leviticus because of its renown decompression (unpackagin) of the Levitical code

Wilson Hines

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2019 6:16 PM

Michael S.:

LOL on the "I am Groot" comments!

But back to the OP, if you could only get one volume from this sale, what would it be and why?

Groot got more than one. So not sure can ethically answer.  It'll likely sound all the same to you anyway. Stick out tongue

Wow, before this sale, I would have said Koester's Revelation because it had not been on sale previously, having been more newly released.  It is also one of the greatest discounts.  It seems like a highly respected volume.  I'm curious what his interpretive approach is.  I don't really know.  I did pick it up.

That said, I started reading Fitzmyer's Luke (vol 1) and really like it.  He has good insight and seems a clear writer.  Detailed but you don't get bogged down.  I got volume two also and then picked up Acts because he wrote that and really focuses on their relationship to one another (Luke-Acts).  I haven't, but I would like to add his 1 Corinthians.  I like his style so far and am curious how he would treat that book.

I have a few hardcopies of RE Brown's works, given to me by my dad, and have started getting some of those in Logos format.  But because of tight funds I have resisted completing the buy, even at $19.99 which is terrific.  Also already have Markus Barth in both hardcopy and Logos.  May not be as highly rated to some, but I liked it a lot when I used it years ago for a sermon series and he is very thorough.

If I can, I also plan to get Koester's Hebrews.  I love that book of the Bible and have a few good commentaries on it (actually realized several different volumes were written by Stan Guthrie.  He's really good, but I am hoping to get a well done commentary with some different insight, hence, Koester)

Posts 352
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2019 7:42 PM

Mattillo:

So there is an AYBC sale going on at the moment.  I don't have any AYBCs and I've had people tell me to stay away from them because they tend to lean on the liberal side.  Anyone have any thoughts on "must haves"?  There are quite a few ranked high on Best Commentaries but I know that rating system isn't the best at times.  Thanks in advance

https://www.logos.com/anchor-yale-bible-sale 

I doubt I can be of any help on choosing particular items; but, I have several points for you that might help.

First, how I deal with special offers, freebies, etc. I like to look at a) the most expensive, because I can't afford those but more importantly b) what is of interest to me and to my studies. 
Second, regarding "liberal" ideology or "conservative" ideology, studying one-sided is lopsided. And can keep people from getting to truth. Truth does not fear opposing ideas, because the truth prevails. If one only studies what one agrees with, how can they learn? And how can they be sure they know the truth? When seeking truth, one should be willing to go where ever truth leads. 

As far as me, liberals say I'm conservative, and conservatives say I'm liberal. My concern is not what liberals or conservatives have to say about me, but rather what God says. 

Posts 210
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 2:28 AM

Picked up I Corinthians, I & II Timothy and Revelation by Koester.

So far, what I am seeing is that the NIGTC is far more exegetical.  

I like the format in this series, and there’s certainly some good info. here, but, I would like to see more internal-grammatical interaction...but that’s just me.  Great pricing though.

Posts 124
Dennis Hilario | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 7:51 AM

I bought 1 Corinthians, 1&2 Thessalonians and the new Revelation. The first two have positive review by D.A. Carson (esp Thessalonians). The 3rd has a steep discount, better that the old Revelation commentary and read some good reviews.

Page 4 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS