AYB 1 Corinthians question

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6059
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 9 2019 7:41 AM

I remember reading a while ago in one of the 1 Corinthians AYB that the Jews don’t handle money on the Sabbath.  This was in the 1 Corinthians 16:1-2 section. The only problem is that I can’t remember which of the two had that statement.  Is it the volume by William Orr and James Walther or is it the volume by Joseph A. Fitzmyer?

Could someone who owns both, please, check? I really don’t want to buy both just to later return one.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 21528
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 7:50 AM

DAL:
Is it the volume by William Orr and James Walther or is it the volume by Joseph A. Fitzmyer?

It's in the Orr volume

Posts 6059
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 9:43 AM

Thanks G! LOL “G” for Graham. I wonder where he got that information from. There doesn’t seem to be a source for that statement, though I’ve read on the internet something similar.  I’ll have to perform a search for that and see what else comes up on the subject.

Thanks again for your willingness to always help and for your super fast response! 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 9852
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 9:50 AM

Well, also not wasting time with Logos, the first coins were during the Persian. Before that, you'd have to handle sheep and goats (maybe figs).

Clearly, it's the Hasmonians.

Posts 21528
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 10:46 AM

DAL:
 I’ll have to perform a search for that and see what else comes up on the subject.

You might find some of these interesting

Posts 163
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 11:57 AM

you might check out the Talmud (Shabbat).

I remember looking around one time in the Talmud and found that there was a lot of concern about transferring something from on e persons hand to another's on the Sabbath. This would be considered work in some instances. Maybe this is where such a prohibition comes from? (Not meant to be a discussion on doctrine!)

Posts 13058
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 12:54 PM

DAL:
There doesn’t seem to be a source for that statement, though I’ve read on the internet something similar.  I’ll have to perform a search for that and see what else comes up on the subject.

I struggled to find a first-century source, until I found this from Philo

Yet more, [158] in the monthly doles in his own city when all the people each in turn receive money or corn, he never put the Jews at a disadvantage in sharing the bounty, but even if the distributions happened to come during the sabbath when no one is permitted to receive or give anything or to transact any part of the business of ordinary life, particularly of a lucrative kind, he ordered the dispensers to reserve for the Jews till the morrow the charity which fell to all.

Posts 6059
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 1:43 PM

Thanks Roy and Mark!

Philo sure comes in handy here! I will definitely check both the Jerusalem and Babylonian Talmuds to see if I find anything else there 👍😁👌

Thanks again!

DAL

Posts 6059
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 9 2019 1:49 PM

Graham Criddle:

DAL:
 I’ll have to perform a search for that and see what else comes up on the subject.

You might find some of these interesting

Wow this search is better than what I had. My only significant hit was from the Understanding the Bible commentary where the author disagrees with Orr‘s and Walther’s comment on the AYB.

Thanks, I’ll save this search for my research on the offering I’m working on 👍😁👌

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS