Loeb or Perseus?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 459
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 15 2019 1:55 PM

I recall someone on the forums mentioning that one of these (Loeb or Perseus) was better in Logos (tagging?), though I don't recall which. 

Can anyone give any insight here?

Posts 26467
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 15 2019 2:07 PM

Loeb is better for tagging. Perseus is free.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 459
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 15 2019 2:16 PM

Thanks

Posts 282
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2019 10:14 PM

MJ. Smith:

Loeb is better for tagging. Perseus is free.

In what way(s) to make it worth purchasing for somebody who uses Classics a lot?

Posts 273
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 4:39 AM

In general, the Loebs are better formatted and include the short introductory material, indexes and maps that the Perseus volumes leave out.

Keep in mind however, that the Perseus texts are based on the same out-of-copyrigh Loeb editions. There is a lot of overlap, so if you just want the text and don't want to spend money on the extra material, the free versions are almost just as good.

I continue to use the Perseus versions occasionally to check for misspellings and typos in the Greek and Latin texts. Otherwise I prefer to use the Loeb volumes.

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 5:44 AM

An example of both Loeb (on Left) and Perseus (on Right) opened to a passage quite early in Plato's Republic. Both have tagging as a destination for the Plato datatype. Both have the surface text and are tagged with lemma forms for each word.

Loeb is broken up into more readable paragraphs. Loeb also includes page number tagging. The about panel says that the Loeb also includes footnotes.

It has been a while since I have done any detail work with either, but one reason I intentionally bought a few Loeb volumes (others were thrown in in various base packages and topical collections) was because in looking at the Perseus when it came to Logos, there were a fair number of typos and the automated lemma tagging had a few issues. I have not done enough work to say if this is improved, or if one is done better than the other as the texts would be delivered now. That said, having two texts to compare gives you another way to catch the problem and start you on the process of figuring out what is indeed the text for a passage.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 282
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 4:36 PM

Greg F:

In general, the Loebs are better formatted and include the short introductory material, indexes and maps that the Perseus volumes leave out.

Keep in mind however, that the Perseus texts are based on the same out-of-copyrigh Loeb editions. There is a lot of overlap, so if you just want the text and don't want to spend money on the extra material, the free versions are almost just as good.

I continue to use the Perseus versions occasionally to check for misspellings and typos in the Greek and Latin texts. Otherwise I prefer to use the Loeb volumes.

Wow, the paragraph formatting of Loeb is really better. What about the tagging? Is the tagging used with Perseus and Loeb the same? Is one better or better supported than the other?

Posts 273
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 4:28 AM

I haven't noticed that the tagging is particularly better or worse in either. As far as I can tell, they have identical tagging, unless words are spelled differently in a version.

The Perseus texts, however, always seem to have the negative written as "ουʼ" instead of "οὐ" for some reason, I'm not sure why.. 

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 5:49 AM

Michel Pauw:
Wow, the paragraph formatting of Loeb is really better. What about the tagging? Is the tagging used with Perseus and Loeb the same? Is one better or better supported than the other?

Both Perseus and Loeb have machine morphological tagging. That means they'll include multiple options for ambiguous forms. So τελευτῆσαι will be tagged as ALL of the following:

• aorist middle imperative 2nd person singular
  • present middle/passive indicative 2nd person singular
  • aorist active optative 3rd person singular
  • aorist active infinitive

In manually tagged texts, a human editor would select the correct option.

Posts 282
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2019 8:47 PM

Mark Barnes:
In manually tagged texts, a human editor would select the correct option.

If I were willing to be such a human editor for a particular Greek resource, for Logos, who (in Faithlife) would I need to talk to?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS