L6 Version of "Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew" in L8

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 16 2019 7:42 AM

I'm considering these Mobile Ed courses (LA151 & LA161) but am concerned that they are tightly paired with Logos version 6.  So I have a couple of questions.

1. Can someone from Faithlife comment as to whether there are plans to upgrade these courses for L8, and if so, indicate if the upgrade would primarily consist of procedural adaptions required for L8, thereby likely resulting in a free upgrade ...OR, if the course content would be modified at the same time, requiring owners of the L6 version to purchase the L8 version in order to have course procedures that match how L8 works?
  2.  Can a current owner of either course comment as to how much a course-taker's ability to simply follow the process steps as presented in the current L6 version of the course are affected by changes in L8?

Thanks in advance to anyone providing insight.  Smile

Posts 194
Daniel Radke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2019 7:52 PM

These are great questions. I would love to hear replies to these as well.

eChristianResources.com - Connecting Christians With Quality Evangelical Resources Available For FREE On The Internet (including links to free Logos/Vyrso resources!)

Posts 512
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2019 6:02 AM

I would like to know as well

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 4:42 PM

Bump! Coffee

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2019 5:02 PM

Rick Ausdahl:

I'm considering these Mobile Ed courses (LA151 & LA161) but am concerned that they are tightly paired with Logos version 6.  So I have a couple of questions.

1.  Can a current owner of either course comment as to how much a course-taker's ability to simply follow the process steps as presented in the current L6 version of the course are affected by changes in L8?

For the items that are taught and emphasized there is very little change between Logos 6 and Logos 8. The core functionality of word studies and how to access lexical data hasn't changed in any substantial way in these updates. The differences, therefore, that you will notice between what i s on the screen in the course and your version are primarily aesthetic. You will have no problem at all following along with these courses in Logos 8. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 6:46 AM

Jacob Hantla:

Rick Ausdahl:

1.  Can a current owner of either course comment as to how much a course-taker's ability to simply follow the process steps as presented in the current L6 version of the course are affected by changes in L8?

For the items that are taught and emphasized there is very little change between Logos 6 and Logos 8. The core functionality of word studies and how to access lexical data hasn't changed in any substantial way in these updates. The differences, therefore, that you will notice between what i s on the screen in the course and your version are primarily aesthetic. You will have no problem at all following along with these courses in Logos 8. 

Thank you, Jacob ...that's encouraging!  One of my primary concerns was that in explaining how to locate/access various Logos features, or achieve particular tasks, that this L6 based version of the course might provide steps to follow that would not work in Logos 8.

My understanding is you're saying that's not the case, or at the very least, the differences are minimal and any deviations required for Logos 8 are fairly obvious and intuitive.  Am I tracking with you? 

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 6:49 AM

I'm still hoping to hear from someone at Faithlife regarding question number one.

Rick Ausdahl:

1. Can someone from Faithlife comment as to whether there are plans to upgrade these courses for L8, and if so, indicate if the upgrade would primarily consist of procedural adaptions required for L8, thereby likely resulting in a free upgrade ...OR, if the course content would be modified at the same time, requiring owners of the L6 version to purchase the L8 version in order to have course procedures that match how L8 works?
  2.  Can a current owner of either course comment as to how much a course-taker's ability to simply follow the process steps as presented in the current L6 version of the course are affected by changes in L8?

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 6:52 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
My understanding is you're saying that's not the case, or at the very least, the differences are minimal and any deviations required for Logos 8 are fairly obvious and intuitive. 

I had the original video series for Hebrew and Greek and the Mobile Ed is quite different than those.

I also just am finishing the Hebrew Mobile Ed course and found any references to the software very transferable from L6 to L8 and almost forgot that he was using L6.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 7:15 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Rick Ausdahl:
My understanding is you're saying that's not the case, or at the very least, the differences are minimal and any deviations required for Logos 8 are fairly obvious and intuitive. 

I had the original video series for Hebrew and Greek and the Mobile Ed is quite different than those.

I also just am finishing the Hebrew Mobile Ed course and found any references to the software very transferable from L6 to L8 and almost forgot that he was using L6.

Thank you, Bruce.  If you almost forgot the instructor for the Hebrew course was using L6, that's very encouraging!  It's seems reasonable that would also then be the case for the Greek course.  Sure hope so.  Smile

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 10:24 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
Thank you, Bruce.  If you almost forgot the instructor for the Hebrew course was using L6, that's very encouraging!  It's seems reasonable that would also then be the case for the Greek course.  Sure hope so.  Smile

You got me intrigued about this so I just watched one video in the Greek course and found it to be very similar to the Hebrew course. What both instructors seem to use mostly is searching and visual filters and those are very similar in L6 and L8.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 2:22 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Rick Ausdahl:

You got me intrigued about this so I just watched one video in the Greek course and found it to be very similar to the Hebrew course. What both instructors seem to use mostly is searching and visual filters and those are very similar in L6 and L8.

Thanks for the update, Bruce.

I guess the next things to determine are how many of the resources used in the course are currently in my library and what it would cost to add enough of the missing resources to make the course worthwhile.  Huh?

Posts 2912
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:30 PM

Rick Ausdahl:

My understanding is you're saying that's not the case, or at the very least, the differences are minimal and any deviations required for Logos 8 are fairly obvious and intuitive.  Am I tracking with you? 

You are tracking with me. I just reviewed some of the videos from various portions to make sure that my recollection is accurate. I saw no areas where locating or accessing features will be different. I don't remember if they talk about notes in any of the videos, but if they do that will be the only area where there would be significant differences. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 5:29 PM

Jacob Hantla:

Rick Ausdahl:

You are tracking with me. I just reviewed some of the videos from various portions to make sure that my recollection is accurate. I saw no areas where locating or accessing features will be different. I don't remember if they talk about notes in any of the videos, but if they do that will be the only area where there would be significant differences. 

Awesome!  Thank you!!

Posts 178
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2019 10:05 PM

Are we talking about Van Pelt’s Hebrew classes (BBH) & Mounce Greek (BBG)?  I am currently taking Van Pelt’s classes and, oddly, seem to be picking up Hebrew categories, exceptions, etc. more readily than I did Greek I.  

Also, just an FYI, but Dr. Bill Barrick has excellent Hebrew courses for free...all the way up to Hebrew 4!  

Here is a link to his courses:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvh8yziVsCE

Here’s his site:  https://drbarrick.org/lesson/hebrew-1-lesson-1/

Personally, I supplement w. both courses since each covers things the others don’t 馃憤.

Love Van Pelt’s course though.

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2019 1:20 AM

Puddin’:

Are we talking about Van Pelt’s Hebrew classes (BBH) & Mounce Greek (BBG)?  I am currently taking Van Pelt’s classes and, oddly, seem to be picking up Hebrew categories, exceptions, etc. more readily than I did Greek I.  

Also, just an FYI, but Dr. Bill Barrick has excellent Hebrew courses for free...all the way up to Hebrew 4!  

Here is a link to his courses:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvh8yziVsCE

Here’s his site:  https://drbarrick.org/lesson/hebrew-1-lesson-1/

Personally, I supplement w. both courses since each covers things the others don’t 馃憤.

Love Van Pelt’s course though.

No — here’s the link to the Mobile Ed courses referenced here: https://www.logos.com/product/49819/mobile-ed-learn-to-use-biblical-greek-and-hebrew-with-logos-6 

Pelt’s and Mounce are not Mobile Ed courses by FL they’re DVD lectures by Zondervan.

DAL

Posts 948
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2019 1:47 AM

IMHO the logos 4 version was better... You have to think your way round changes to the way the software works but you'll learn more about the languages.

讙址旨诐志讞止砖侄讈讱职之 诇止纸讗志讬址讞职砖执讈知讬讱职 诪执肢诪侄旨芝讱指 讜职汁诇址讬职诇指讛 讻址旨讬旨郑讜止诐 讬指讗执謶讬专 讻址旨譂讞植砖值讈讬讻指謼讛 讻指旨讗讜止专指纸讛

Posts 356
LogosEmployee
Miles Custis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2019 11:21 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
Can someone from Faithlife comment as to whether there are plans to upgrade these courses for L8, and if so, indicate if the upgrade would primarily consist of procedural adaptions required for L8, thereby likely resulting in a free upgrade ...OR, if the course content would be modified at the same time, requiring owners of the L6 version to purchase the L8 version in order to have course procedures that match how L8 works?

We are planning on creating new versions of these courses. We have plans to record a completely new version of the Greek course with a different speaker. We will also be updating the Hebrew course with Mike Heiser. We hope to have both courses available by the end of the year.

We're still working out the details, but we will make sure people who already own the Logos 6 versions of these courses can get the Logos 8 versions for a significant discount. The new courses will probably not be free for owners of the previous courses, but they will be heavily discounted.

Posts 1379
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2019 7:44 PM

Miles Custis:

Rick Ausdahl:
Can someone from Faithlife comment as to whether there are plans to upgrade these courses for L8, and if so, indicate if the upgrade would primarily consist of procedural adaptions required for L8, thereby likely resulting in a free upgrade ...OR, if the course content would be modified at the same time, requiring owners of the L6 version to purchase the L8 version in order to have course procedures that match how L8 works?

We are planning on creating new versions of these courses. We have plans to record a completely new version of the Greek course with a different speaker. We will also be updating the Hebrew course with Mike Heiser. We hope to have both courses available by the end of the year.

We're still working out the details, but we will make sure people who already own the Logos 6 versions of these courses can get the Logos 8 versions for a significant discount. The new courses will probably not be free for owners of the previous courses, but they will be heavily discounted.

Thank you Miles!  Smile

Posts 178
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2019 9:55 PM

Thanks DAL - I actually have Van Pelt & Mounce through my Logos App. in my library.  I don’t have the DVD’s.

Will look into the links you posted 馃憤.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS