Prayer List

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
Jacob Beattie | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 3 2010 12:56 PM

Any idea when the prayer list feature will be done?

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2010 5:34 PM

Would a possible option be to not just have a prayer list, but a prayer journaling option. Although I guess you could do that with notes and not anchor it to a resource.

Posts 43
R. Pared | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:33 PM

Just as a privacy option, will prayer lists be synchronized with the Logos server?  I would hope not and that this type of personal information would be housed and kept locally.  Thoughts?

Robin

Posts 673
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:39 PM

@Robin - yes the Prayer List is in the Cloud, you can see a debate in the thread about Cloud computing..

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:03 AM

Robin Paredez:

Just as a privacy option, will prayer lists be synchronized with the Logos server?  I would hope not and that this type of personal information would be housed and kept locally.  Thoughts?

Robin

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/17889/134888.aspx#134888

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 4732
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:32 AM

Ok - It not being in the Alpha yet - can somebody explain to me how prayer lists fit in with the concept of L4

To this 'bear of little brain' the idea seems a bit disconnected.

How do our prayer lists link with the resources that Logos is there to drive?

As an aside, your UK brothers would have a problem placing personalised data on any computer let alone one synced to a cloud unless it was pre-encrypted and unavailable to the managers of the cloud.

Tootle pip

Mike

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:44 AM

Mike Binks:

Ok - It not being in the Alpha yet - can somebody explain to me how prayer lists fit in with the concept of L4

To this 'bear of little brain' the idea seems a bit disconnected.

How do our prayer lists link with the resources that Logos is there to drive?

They don't. This was a little quickie feature that Logos threw in because they thought it might be useful to people. Now look at all the flak they've been getting about the fact that prayer lists sync to the cloud, and people wanting to be able to control this. Bob said at one point in frustration that they'd rather rip the feature out than implement iron-clad security for it.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:05 AM

Rosie Perera:
They don't. This was a little quickie feature that Logos threw in because they thought it might be useful to people. Now look at all the flak they've been getting about the fact that prayer lists sync to the cloud, and people wanting to be able to control this. Bob said at one point in frustration that they'd rather rip the feature out than implement iron-clad security for it.

Maybe Bob should just offer a little stand alone prayer journal app that has nothing connected at all to Logos 4. (Kinda like the little sticky notes app he wrote.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:21 AM

Matthew C Jones:

Maybe Bob should just offer a little stand alone prayer journal app that has nothing connected at all to Logos 4. (Kinda like the little sticky notes app he wrote.)

Yes, that would be a good idea. Then it doesn't need to mess with syncing to the cloud at all. It would just keep its data locally. I'm sure the sticky notes app doesn't sync between your PC and your iPhone, and yet it is what it is and some people find it useful.

Posts 4732
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:22 AM

Rosie Perera:
rather rip the feature out than implement iron-clad security for it.

Yes I have seen the mountain of posts that heap up on this subject and (again without experience of the usefulness of this facility) I have no desire to see it implemented.

And if people are really using it to record serious and identifiable personal information they could well be falling foul of the law at least int he UK.

There are better things that the Development team could be concentrating on.

In my (not all that) humble opinion.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:38 AM

Rosie Perera:

Matthew C Jones:

Yes, that would be a good idea. Then it doesn't need to mess with syncing to the cloud at all. It would just keep its data locally. I'm sure the sticky notes app doesn't sync between your PC and your iPhone, and yet it is what it is and some people find it useful.

Rosie

I agree with you that a little stand-alone journal would be a good answer. However, I wonder if some people would then want it to sync so that they could have their prayer lists on their iPhone/iPad when they were away from their computers. I can just hear the howls of protest, if Bob disconnected it from the main app.

Also, Mike, in the original thread I raised the very point of falling foul of the Data Protection Act in the UK, if we used synced Prayer Lists with personal data in them. Speaking personally, I keep that kind of data in a mobile, rather erratic through secure, data store with rather slow, built-in computing facilities – my head! But I can live with the data loss. Tongue Tied

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:49 AM

Alan Macgregor:

Rosie

I agree with you that a little stand-alone journal would be a good answer. However, I wonder if some people would then want it to sync so that they could have their prayer lists on their iPhone/iPad when they were away from their computers. I can just hear the howls of protest, if Bob disconnected it from the main app.

Yup, you're right. It's not something I'd use anyway, I was just giving Matthew an encouraging response, but it was his suggestion in the first place, not mine.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 2:09 AM

Rosie Perera:

Yup, you're right. It's not something I'd use anyway, I was just giving Matthew an encouraging response, but it was his suggestion in the first place, not mine.

I would not use it either. I was just trying to make the anti-cloud users happy. (Probably an impossible task.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:59 AM

I personally like the idea of having a prayer list in Logos. I don't need another application that I have to run to check my prayer list. As for syncing to the cloud, I personally like the idea. I would love to be able to see my prayer list on my iPone (or iPad when I get one) so that I always have it with me. As for personal information I don't need detailed personal information, just reminders i.e. healing, Janes mother has cancer. I'm not in the UK so I don't know about your laws. As for me it would be a very useful tool. If you have issues with using it and personal information the just don't use it, but don't take it away from thoose of that use/would use it and find it a useful tool.Stick out tongue

Just my two cents

God bless

Stephen

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:33 PM

I agree with Stephen.  (Although this might only be worth one penny...)Smile

Posts 4732
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 4 2010 10:42 PM

Stephen Weasler:
I don't need another application that I have to run to check my prayer list.

But - and I come back to my main point - why would you naturally 'run to' Logos for a prayer list?

It seems to me like using your pliers to knock nails in - possible but not really appropriate!

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 7:38 AM

Mike Binks:
why would you naturally 'run to' Logos for a prayer list?

Mike,

I just don't want to have to run another program to do a prayer list if I've already got that functionality in Logos. It would be great it I could put scripture links in my prayer list so that when I'm going through it I can just pull up the scriptures in Logos or hover over them and have the scripture display in a pop-up. I'd rather see it more like a prayer journal and have an ability to like to resources like Prayer that Avail Much or the Scripture Quick Reference Guide for Counseling so when I have a subject I'm praying for I can select a key word like "marriage" or "deliverance" it will give me a list of related scriptures that I can pray for that situation. I know I could already do a search for these scriptures in Logos but many times I get a lot scriptures that aren't relevant. So of the Prayer/scripture reference guides have already done this. It would be nice to have this ability to do it quickly in Logos (sorry I'm still working on memorizing the whole Bible), and to have that on my iPhone so it's always with me is awesome so when I'm sitting on the training I can read my prayer list and prayer for the 30 minute train ride.

I already have a prayer list app on my iPhone but to get it on my computer I have to retype it or email the list to myself which makes it a text file and then I can't edit it and send it back. All I'm asking is that they just make it easy for me and that it work. After all I use a Mac and not windowz Big Smile

God Bless

Stephen 

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:46 PM

Stephen Weasler:
to have that on my iPhone so it's always with me is awesome so when I'm sitting on the training I can read my prayer list and prayer for the 30 minute train ride

You could use something like Things for a prayer list for use on the train. It's designed as a task manager, but is versatile enough for almost any list you need. It syncs between Mac and iPhone (or iPad) ... without troubling 'the cloud' and associated issues regarding data security.

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 3:39 PM

I've thought about using Things before but that's another $60 for the Mac and iPhone version. I have Bento 3 for both and am starting to use it more and that's also a possibility. I'd like to have it in Logos so that I can use the resources/Bible I have. Being able to "tag" a prayer with related scriptures would be great. I don't put personal information beside a persons first name in my prayer list. If we worry about security so much, everything has vulnerabilities, even a paper based journal/planner can get lost. The only way we can make sure nothing get lost or compromised is to not record it anywhere besides our memory and that defeats the whole purpose of writing stuff down so we don't forget itBig Smile

It boils down to the fact that I don't want another application for prayer lists. While there are alternatives I want it in Logos and would use it extensively if it were in the Mac version.

It's a personal choice and mine is to have a prayer list or journal in Logos.

God bless

Stephen

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 4:04 PM

Stephen Ashton:
You could use something like Things for a prayer list for use on the train. It's designed as a task manager, but is versatile enough for almost any list you need. It syncs between Mac and iPhone (or iPad) ... without troubling 'the cloud' and associated issues regarding data security.

I use Omnifocus for my prayer list and other tasks, preferring it over Things because of the limitations in Things synchronization. I've played with the Logos prayer list but it's a little more limited than what I want, and I don't really want to fire up Logos to look at my prayer requests. :)

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS