Asia Bible Commentary Series .... who's buying and why?

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9955
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2019 3:10 PM

Related, but an excellent article in the Bible Study Magazine about pursueing the Bible in Ethiopia, by Rebecca Van Noord.

Really has quite a bit of information ... the Orthodox Church, the multiplicity of dialects (about 80!), and about the opportunity for training ministers. The latter is really interesting.

Also, if you like archaeology, this month is packed.

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2019 3:41 PM

Are you aware of An Ethiopian Reading of the Bible: Biblical Interpretation of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Church by Keon-Sang An?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9955
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2019 3:59 PM

MJ. Smith:

Are you aware of An Ethiopian Reading of the Bible: Biblical Interpretation of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Church by Keon-Sang An?

Well, you sure didn't do me any favors (smiling). I had my $10 bill ready, until I read your review! Then, after it was found to be hopelessly flawed, you loved it.

So, I got the Kindle. I admit tremendous ignorance for all things Ethiopia. My only contact was when we got our military kicked out, after Haile Salase (sp). Followed by my suspicion that locations like Ethiopia offer good clues on early Christianity. It keeps re-appearing with Enoch.

Thank you for the review.

https://www.amazon.com/Ethiopian-Reading-Bible-Interpretation-Missiology-ebook/dp/B0176VUC9O 

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2019 5:28 PM

Denise:
I admit tremendous ignorance for all things Ethiopia.

Not uncommon. A funny story: I was taking a class taught by an Orthodox priest/professor, highly qualified in church history. A classmate who had fascinating input in class was a Coptic Catholic Jesuit priest on a sabbatical from his native Ethiopia. We were two-thirds of the way through the class before the Jesuit got the Orthodox priest to understand that he was Catholic not Orthodox Big Smile Ever since, I've gone out of my way to learn about the Ethiopian church short of learning to read the various Coptic languages.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 119
Chris Belmonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 8:22 AM

De facto modalism appears to be a rampant problem in Africa, Ethiopia not included. My source on this is from "Trinity Among the Nations."

I have a very strong interest in world Christendom considering how Christianity in the West has so drastically declined. But there's the problem of indigenous ideas contaminating theology. This is not always the case, and it's probably not the majority in most places. I think the majority of Koreans have orthodox theology (I'm not referring to Orthodox Christianity), but it is known for disproportionately producing cults. Western Christians should actively pursue the outside world and try to provide a corrective voice were needed. Unfortunately there is a language barrier. That's something I won't be able to cross. So Christians who can't do that, should focus on foreigners who know English, and there's a lot of them. Helping them can branch off to help those who do not speak English.

Posts 1766
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 9:43 AM

Roy:
I am thinking of picking it up to have a non-western point of view (as it were).

I learned from some very dear friends who were raised in various parts of Ethiopia (just one country on the African continent) and have now immigrated to the US, that it is dangerous for Americans to think of an entire continent as monolithic. Tribal/rural Ethiopians have very diverse experiences from urban dwellers. Asia is also a VERY diverse continent. I admire Roy's desire to pick up A non-western perspective, as long as we remember it is not THE non-western point of view.

Just as this week's UMC conference revealed that my perspective (a non-denominational, white, American male) is much closer aligned with the Methodists of Africa than the majority of North American UMC Bishops,  All commentaries are an "eat the chicken, spit out the bones, swallow the meat" experience.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9955
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 9:30 AM

MJ. Smith:

Denise:
I admit tremendous ignorance for all things Ethiopia.

Not uncommon. A funny story: I was taking a class taught by an Orthodox priest/professor, highly qualified in church history. A classmate who had fascinating input in class was a Coptic Catholic Jesuit priest on a sabbatical from his native Ethiopia. We were two-thirds of the way through the class before the Jesuit got the Orthodox priest to understand that he was Catholic not Orthodox Big Smile Ever since, I've gone out of my way to learn about the Ethiopian church short of learning to read the various Coptic languages.

Well, I finished it. It didn't really get 'good' till about 40% (each reader, their own goals). I was pleasantly surprised at the jewish-Christian combo, the syriac-combo, the apparent pre-Calcedon cut-off, and the heavy use of Ephram. There's a lot of similarities to the recent evangel/nationalism trend also.

But my next rabbit-hole has to be baptism. In the NT, baptism shows up out of no-where (a one-time event, not a repeated cleansing). Apparently, looking at early Ethiopian, it may trace to blocking the demons, which fits Jesus' teaching (healing/sin/repent vs the demons).

A very good $10.

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:23 PM

Falasha Anthology (Yale Judaica Series) Black Jews of Ethiopia Yale Judaica Series may interest you as well now that you have a taste of the region.

Posts 9955
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 4:12 PM

Thank you!

Posts 1379
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 3 2019 10:03 AM

If you have these two resources in Logos, you can find something very  interesting about Moses and Ethiopia. 

(The fourth search result has Ethiopians in the footnote)

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS