Zondervan MasterLectures vs. Logos Mobile Ed.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1541
John Kight | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 25 2019 12:37 PM

Zondervan has just announced an interesting new subscription service, MasterLectures. $14.99/mo for access to all Zondervan's video lectures! That's a fantastic price for some really great content! We've been asking for something similar with Mobile Ed for years. Maybe now is the time Faithlife?!  

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 180
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2019 2:03 PM

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Seems like a great deal. 

Posts 476
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2019 2:33 PM

Looks awesome! Thanks for the share! There is a growing supply of these kinds of quality video lectures being presented. I am tempted to jump in on it... 

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 6
Defenders Media | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2019 4:02 PM

Problem is that Zondervan doesn't provide transcripts for any of the videos, lectures or even classes. 

Posts 1541
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2019 4:58 PM

Defenders Media:

Problem is that Zondervan doesn't provide transcripts for any of the videos, lectures or even classes. 

I'm not sure that's a "problem". I don't supply lecture transcripts to my students, nor did my professors provide me lecture transcripts. So, while it's useful and makes sense for something like Logos, I don't consider it a "problem" enough to diminish the value of what Zondervan is offering.  

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 984
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2019 6:19 PM

Defenders Media:

I agree. The transcript and tagging of Logos courses add a ton of value. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2019 10:01 PM

Wow! Maybe a bit too conservative, but some great lecturers still. I didn't know that Mobile Ed had real competition. This is the exact model Faithlife needs to follow. I'm going to try the free trial.

Posts 34
Anthony Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 12:19 AM

John Kight:

Defenders Media:

I'm not sure that's a "problem". I don't supply lecture transcripts to my students, nor did my professors provide me lecture transcripts. So, while it's useful and makes sense for something like Logos, I don't consider it a "problem" enough to diminish the value of what Zondervan is offering.  

Right. I would gladly give up the convenience of tagging and transcripts for access to lectures. Having the transcript isn't necessary since I take notes and rewrite concepts in my own words.

To me, Mobile Ed is a more robust, fuller experience but I really only care about the lectures. Perhaps Faithlife could offer another tier for their subscription that is only audio/video, has more courses available, and is priced similarly to Zondervan.

Posts 878
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 1:31 AM

I saw it as 19.99 per month though. Are there some sort of discount going on (academic?)

By the way, should this not be posting here since it is a competing service to Logos/Faithlife TV? (But I secretly am glad you did because I wouldn't have known about that...)

Posts 878
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 1:34 AM

Oh, I see you mean the annual subscription price is equiv. to 14.99 a month.

Posts 35

Defenders Media:

For me it's a problem, because I'm not a native english speaker (I'm brazilian), and sometimes I have a difficult to understanding some phrases, and the transcription is a great help to me.

Posts 1743
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 8:49 AM

a search for "Dallas Theological Seminary" on iTunes will also yield a list of Seminary lectures available FREE on iTunes U.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1356
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 9:14 AM

Myke Harbuck:

Defenders Media:

I agree. The transcript and tagging of Logos courses add a ton of value. 

I appreciate this as well.  My guess is that it wouldn't have to add much (if anything) to the cost of a course to include just the transcript.  I suspect the tagging/linking is where most of the transcript related cost comes from.  I would see value though in having just the transcript without tagging/linking and wouldn't mind having a lower price tier offered for courses with a non tagged/linked transcript, but I can't see that as being practical cost-wise for Faithlife if they still offered a tagged/linked version they invested in producing but sold fewer of them.

The bottom line for me is that the Mobile Ed courses have always been considerably out of my financial reach unless there's a reeeeaaaaaly great sale on them.  So I watch for the sales and am thankful to have been able to pick up several courses--not nearly as many as I would like, but such is life, and I'm thankful for what I have.  However ...I can also see the Zondervan MasterLectures as a great and reasonably priced way to supplement my Mobile Ed Library with quality video lecture resources that I wouldn't be able to afford if dependent solely upon great Mobile Ed sales.  So I'm thinking it might work out to be more a choice of both Mobile Ed and MasterLectures rather than an either/or decision.

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 10:52 AM

Defenders Media:

Has this been verified? I find it odd that they don't have transcripts. I couldn't see anything on their site though. Do they at least offer captions for the hearing impaired on their videos?

I didn't start the free trial yet. I'm waiting for a good 14 day stretch.

Posts 1404
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 11:16 AM

I hope Bob is following this thread. He constantly repeated that he wished he would have subscription only company, but yet when it gets to Logos Mobile ED. we dont have subscription at all for common users. Personally, I don't like books subscription, but with media, I prefer only subscription. Faithlife somehow trying to do opposite; books but not media. Someone can tell that wait, Faithlife has Faithlife Connect, lol, thats a joke for me. If I have more than 10k books in my library, why would I subscribe to pay $9 to get just one video per year and pay for books I own, what kind of value is that to me? I DONT NEED THOSE BOOKS, I NEED VIDEO SUBSCRIPTION ONLY. I hope faithlife hears us. WHY WE STILL DONT HAVE VIDEO SUBSCRIPTION???

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 42
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 11:45 AM

Ligonier has a similar service, and it often includes transcripts, quizzes, CEU credits, and even a fairly active community for discussion. Hopefully Faithlife is planning something.

Posts 3037
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 11:50 AM

Faithlife has had a Mobile Ed video subscription for over two years now. It's marketed to churches (but individuals can sign up too, last I heard).

The link in the original post is broken, but this one works: https://faithlifetv.com/church

Posts 1063
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 12:10 PM

PetahChristian:
It's marketed to churches (but individuals can sign up too, last I heard).

Looking at the link ... individuals can sign up (congregation 1-49) ... but at a 'slight' difference in monthly cost ... unless I am missing something

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 1404
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 1:24 PM

PetahChristian:

Faithlife has had a Mobile Ed video subscription for over two years now. It's marketed to churches (but individuals can sign up too, last I heard).

The link in the original post is broken, but this one works: https://faithlifetv.com/church

The pricing is obvious for the church/organization and not for regular users. With this pricing for regular users, they will never capture the market, and while Zondervan and other ones will attract users, Faithlife will seat with their rich library on the curb and miss the opportunity wishing to be "a subscription" company. 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 878
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2019 1:32 PM

If there’s 49 of us forming an online church, that‘d be a great deal.

The faithlife Premiere is kind of good, you can redeem courses for half a year every quarter for course as much as 6xx in value. But it’s cost effectiveness can break down soon if the one interested in is cheap and short (hence finishing soon and need another one soon)

A better model might be like a library, only a certain no of courses can be checkout at a time, but as long as one is returned another one can be redeemed.

also agree the transcript is useful. But the problem I‘ve found out from Faithlife TV is that most if not all Faithlife originals doesnt have subtitle. This is a huge oversight as traditional TV cannot even be broadcasted without one. Luckily years of being in the US gives me a listening skill that can mostly follow, but I’ll never follow 100% word for word and there’s always something missed.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS