Confused about guidelines. Is there a place for theological discussion?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 123
Chris Belmonte | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:41 AM

The guidelines say that theology should not be discussed but that seems odd and I thought I've seen it discussed a few times, even if peripherally. Would it be possible for the admins to make a new section for discussion of Christianity rather than only Logos products? I know there's a Faithlife community area but I hear people suggest it's not populated and fellowship kind of stuff, really isn't what I'm here for, at least for the most part.

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:46 AM

NGTH.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 11:55 AM

The forums have always been, and will likely continue to be a place for users to ask question and discuss Logos Bible software and other Faithlife products and features. 

For theological discussions many Logos users frequent https://www.christiandiscourse.net/

Though some threads sometimes develop into theology and doctrinal debates, I personally believe it important for maintain the policy to keep those out of the user forums. 

2 Timothy 2:23 

Titus 3:9

Posts 450
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 12:21 PM

Trust me, it's better this way. There was a time when theology debates were allowed on this forum and it's much better and more useful this way--including the way the forums do sometimes quickly dip into a debate that then quickly dies.

If you want to have theology discussion/debates its better to do it in person with people you know from your church or class or friends . . . A few strangers on the street is fine too. Maybe a few people you trust online. But throwing out a topic for an anonymous mass dialogue (or diving into one) can be pearls before swine that leads to more frustration than fruit. 

Posts 1599
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 12:35 PM

Words are important. And the first word to notice is that they are Guidelines, and not rigid rules, or terms of service. There are many times when  conversation has drifted beyond those guidelines, and I have participated in some of those discussions.

That said, there is a lot of wisdom in those Guidelines. The users of this forum includes sometimes a surprisingly large amount of theological diversity. And the purpose of Faithlife providing this forum is for conversation about their software - not theological discussion that happens in many places elsewhere on the internet. Keeping us all on task:

1) Saves our time when we are looking for information

2) Saves resources from Faithlife who are providing this forum

3) Keeps a more positive, welcoming atmosphere

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 9:23 PM

Ken McGuire:

4) And makes things quite a bit less interesting. Just saying.

Posts 26306
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:15 PM

David Paul:

Ken McGuire:

4) And makes things quite a bit less interesting. Just saying.

5) And promotes the actual exchange of reference resource information without fear of being attacked for knowing of them. Just saying.

Disclosure: Everything I know about Bereans and smaller LDS groups has been thanks to rabbit trails offered in the forums. I have also learned certain rabbit trails are not worth following ... or mentioning.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 210
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2019 11:31 PM

And then there is issue of straw man attacks.  Just about a week ago I heard James White making charges against Oneness Pentecostals that we do not even believe (even though he’s been informed otherwise repeatedly).  After over 20 years in apologetics, this seems to be the preeminent issue that I have personally witnessed.  Seems best to allow others to define what they actally believe, instead of informing them of what they believe.  One of the main reasons I frequent this forum is because of the congenial exchanges (well, mostly that is).

Just sayin’.

Posts 962
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:58 AM

Theological debate is completely unnecessary here because after using Logos for a while and therefore actually studying the Bible everyone has come to a natural and unified consensus. Correctly understanding the scriptures we now find ourselves to be overwhelmed with joy in the Lord as our churches are filling up with new believers and we ourselves suffer the same persecution Christ suffered for our service. Despite our eyes being fixed on the Lord we find it useful to have a space in which to share info about faithlife including tips, tricks, deals and the odd complaint. The best resourse you can jump to for perfecting your doctrine sooner rather than later after the esv study Bible is Calvins institutes followed by the charismatic base package. Just sayin

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 210
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 1:36 AM

John Goodman:

Theological debate is completely unnecessary here because after using Logos for a while and therefore actually studying the Bible everyone has come to a natural and unified consensus. Correctly understanding the scriptures we now find ourselves to be overwhelmed with joy in the Lord as our churches are filling up with new believers and we ourselves suffer the same persecution Christ suffered for our service. Despite our eyes being fixed on the Lord we find it useful to have a space in which to share info about faithlife including tips, tricks, deals and the odd complaint. The best resourse you can jump to for perfecting your doctrine sooner rather than later after the esv study Bible is Calvins institutes followed by the charismatic base package. Just sayin

Ahhh, I see the debate beggineth already 😉!

Just taught the church here about Calvinism, including several of his own quotes (I actually have a blog piece about Calvinism).

But, I will digress 🤓.

Posts 26306
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 2:05 AM

John Goodman:
is Calvins institutes followed by the charismatic base package. Just sayin

You had to mention the one theologian I simply can't stand to read .... I'm certain that this must be in error. Perhaps you meant to reference The Complete Writings of Mennos Simons? I mean I haven't seen many dispute his position in the forums. Geeked

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 4:20 AM

MJ. Smith:

John Goodman:

You had to mention the one theologian I simply can't stand to read .... I'm certain that this must be in error. Perhaps you meant to reference The Complete Writings of Mennos Simons? I mean I haven't seen many dispute his position in the forums. Geeked

Product page link? Just saying.

Posts 9969
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 4:55 AM

David Paul:

MJ. Smith:

John Goodman:

Product page link? Just saying.

https://www.logos.com/product/40859/the-complete-works-of-menno-simons 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 123
Chris Belmonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 6:53 AM

Alright I understand now. thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS