Overblown marketing hype

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 128
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 1 2019 10:55 PM

Yeah... right... looking forward to the worldwide Christian unity that flows from all these unquestionable answers. 

Who writes this stuff?

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 1:58 AM

How it feels ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 790
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 5:50 AM

Yeah, my eyes usually skate past ad slogans, but this one caught my attention for much the same reason.

Posts 144
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 9:30 AM

I agree 100%.  Though like all such frustrations, they are just marketing what people want.  The sad thing are the people who accept "unquestionable answers" without exploring other interpretations or arriving at them on their own.  And then their best argument becomes "because ____ says so"

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 10:18 AM

The ad is basically aimed at a specific, relatively small group of primarily American and largely non-liturgical Protestants, most/all of whom have never done any post-secondary studies in any related field. It may also be marketing by such people.

At any rate, I am not part of the target audience.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 10:25 AM

I like the cat one ...

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 10:54 AM

In a way it’s totally Biblical. Jesus prayed for unity and Paul admonished us “to speak the same thing and to be of the same mind.” Only God knows how he will judge denominationalism, but it’d sure be nice if we all were united in doctrine, but since we aren’t, that’s why many unbelievers get discouraged because they see how divided we are and how everybody claims to have the truth while each speaking their own thing. Sad but true...

DAL

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 11:00 AM

Andrew116:

Yeah... right... looking forward to the worldwide Christian unity that flows from all these unquestionable answers. 

Who writes this stuff?

lol, that's bad.  likely the first year bible college intern wrote that.  Or John Piper

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 11:37 AM

Friedrich:

lol, that's bad.  likely the first year bible college intern wrote that.  Or John Piper

Or the Roman Catholic Church...

(Hey if we're firing shots, let's fire shots)

Posts 3219
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:02 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

Friedrich:

Or the Roman Catholic Church...

Please, let's not start being disrespectful.

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:34 PM

PetahChristian:

I agree with  PetahChristian and make the same request.

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:34 PM

Denise:

I like the cat one ...

I'm good with cats. I didn't know the Logos and Verbum web apps were for cat videos, though. Wink

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 12:41 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

Incontrovertible evidence that the original Logos post is in error. as you refer to an non-existent entity.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 2:23 PM

Right so if people don't use this as an excuse to throw punches at, say, "American and largely non-liturgical Protestants" or "John Pipers" then that's fine. But if you dish it out then be prepared for other people to do the same Wink

Doubt the "let's not be disrespectful" line would have come up had the targets remained Piper and American non-liturgical protestants. 

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 2:33 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

Right so if people don't use this as an excuse to throw punches at, say, "American and largely non-liturgical Protestants" or "John Pipers" then that's fine. But if you dish it out then be prepared for other people to do the same Wink

Doubt the "let's not be disrespectful" line would have come up had the targets remained Piper and American non-liturgical protestants. 

I can't speak for the Piper line, which I didn't write, but I wasn't taking a shot at the people I mentioned.

I was honestly (and, I believe, accurately) describing the group of people (which is not quite the group you name in referring to my post) whom that ad was targeting, or at least those who I think are most likely to be positively disposed to it. From what I can tell, the group of people I was referring to are a non-trivial subset of FL's paying customers, so the ad may well not be a failure from a marketing perspective.

You're welcome to disagree and to argue that the target market is different than what it seems to me to be. For my part, I can explain every element of my description of the target market if such is desired.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 3:17 PM

SineNomine:

I'm good with cats. I didn't know the Logos and Verbum web apps were for cat videos, though. 

I was just hinting the 'unquestionable' is this thread might relate to the questionable answers on the web (in their other ad). They may not have meant it literally.

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 3:42 PM

I've said many times one of Faithlife's biggest problems as a company is their marketing people writing checks the programmers can't cash.

So far, I've been completely ignored, which is certainly fine...not my circus, not my monkeys. But IMO they are doing harm with their marketing hyperbole, whether they see it or not.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 4:32 PM

wow, hadn't really thought through how some people would be offended by that, but I can see that.  I thought about having Hank Hanegraaff instead of Piper, not equating them with a first year intern  but due to their generally straightforward presentation as being able to supply answer and being quite secure in not having really any gray areas.  I listen to the one and have books by the other.  I learn from both.  But neither come across as equivocators.  Anybody have evidence to the contrary and feel it would be important to enlighten me I am game.  It was merely a tongue-in-cheek comment.  Not an indictment.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 7:14 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

Note: denominations mentioned are selected solely to illustrate difference in beliefs. The one and only Northern Free Will Baptist I have ever known was a warm and inviting pastor who would have brought the kids together.

Let me break it down for you. Imagine yourself as a 10 year old High Anglican accidentally sent to a Northern Free Will Baptist summer Bible camp. They use a different religious vocabulary, so in half the Bible classes you are totally lost. In worship, they omit all the gestures, postures, and responses that make church familiar to you. You try, with a ten-year-old's skills and understanding, to fit in, make friends, and have fun. You think you're succeeding when your new "friends" start making fun of those half-papist middle way folks (Anglicans and Lutherans) and saying they'll rot in hell with those Romanists. Eventually one of the older kids realizes that you are one of those "half-papist" middle way folks; they try to get the others to back off and change the topic. But the damage is done. You now know you will never be one of "them"; you know most of what they said about "half-papists" was a half- or mis- understanding ... but that they have no interest in correcting their misconceptions. In fact, they are often convinced that they know what you believe better than you do.

Think of the analogous situation of a new Logos owner who must go to the forums to learn how to use Logos. They find, to their surprise, that it isn't an ecumenical forum but that a group of members assume that everyone believes what they believe. They talk and exchange information in a way that excludes others. You see them mocking non-Trinitarians like yourself, Or, you are an Ethiopian Jew using an expanded canon and use realize that they are insulted if you refer to the larger canon as canonical. Or you refer to Pope Theodoros II and are informed that the Pope is Francis I. How often do you think that the new Logos owner will return to the forums to learn how to truly use Logos? Yes, they will return as a last resort to get what they need to minimally use Logos.

Now imagine what the Logos forums could be . . .

Posts 3219
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 7:41 PM

Thanks, MJ.

MJ. Smith:
Now imagine what the Logos forums could be . . .

Yes

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS