"Save this email for your records."

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
DaveR | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 2 2019 6:35 AM

Over the years I've rarely actually printed out a Logos purchase-confirmation email. I have "saved" some such emails on my hard drive, but I've also lost hard drives over the years.

Does an .html copy of my Orders page constitute a legal "proof of purchase"? And what about assets not shown on that page (e.g., WBC-54 - would be difficult to redo that validation without an old Libronix-compatible computer)?

Is there some place in the program (e.g., under Tools), where you can print a valid list of your current licenses?

Thanks!  Dave

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 6:49 AM

There is a License database within the program, but I'm not sure that would solve the problem you're concerned about. 

To address the problem of losing a hard drive, you do not need a proof of purchase to recover resources. If you replace a hard drive, replace a computer, or a meteor hits you house and you lose everything, all you have to do is download the current Logos engine. When you log in using you account, the program will automatically download everything you are licensed for. 

Posts 3173
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 8:18 AM

Dave

Used printout of purchases in Logos for tax purposes - so it is acceptable, unless the laws have changed regarding it in the last 10 years.

If you still have the order in your purchases, you can click on it and print it as well.

Posts 8
DaveR | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 2:35 PM

Thanks for your responses. As a non-professional, I hadn't considered that Logos might advise saving purchase-confirmation emails only for tax filing purposes.

I thought that with the "Save this email" comment Logos was perhaps implying that the customer is responsible for keeping record of his/her purchases. While I trust Logos' intentions, what if a meteor, or a hacker, or some technical glitch hits the Logos server and destroys their record? That's why I was wondering whether there is a way to capture an accepted snapshot of one's license holdings. (This would be especially helpful with older resources from CDs, which will become more difficult to validate in the future.)

Thanks again,
Dave

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 2:43 PM

DaveR:
While I trust Logos' intentions, what if a meteor, or a hacker, or some technical glitch hits the Logos server and destroys their record? T

If it makes you feel any better, it would take at least two meteors, unless one of them was big enough to pulverize the entire United States.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 5:11 PM

SineNomine:
If it makes you feel any better, it would take at least two meteors, unless one of them was big enough to pulverize the entire United States.

Posts 8
DaveR | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 6:41 PM

I only mentioned the meteor for Fred, who had mentioned one. I was thinking more of hackers or technical glitches. Knowing there is a back-up server does make me feel better, however.  

But better yet would be if a Logos employee would join the thread and substantiate the assumption that customers need no record of their licenses by writing:

"Logos customers are in no way responsible for keeping record of their license holdings. Furthermore, barring their transfer of a resource license, all licensed products that currently show up in a customer's library -- even older ones not listed on their Orders page -- are guaranteed to remain available for them so long as Logos/Faithlife remains a viable corporation."

(But then, how do we prove the what resources were licensed, but not shown on the Orders page?  Hmm...)

Dave

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 6:54 PM

DaveR:
"Logos customers are in no way responsible for keeping record of their license holdings. Furthermore, barring their transfer of a resource license, all licensed products that currently show up in a customer's library -- even older ones not listed on their Orders page -- are guaranteed to remain available for them so long as Logos/Faithlife remains a viable corporation."

It hasn't been said in those exact words but those very things have been stated by Bob Pritchett, the CEO of Faithlife on a number of occasions. Perhaps someone can locate those posts, as I cannot. Basically, resources we've purchased are ours for life. We can even pass on those resources after death or transfer ownership of them to others while still alive (for a modest fee). When Faithlife stopped allowing us to make local backups of our licenses (at the beginning of Logos 4), they accepted the responsibility to maintain those records.

So, Bob, or someone else may come in to give an 'official' answer, but in fact it has been given a number of times already.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8
DaveR | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2019 7:36 PM

Thanks, Mark!   No need for Bob to chime in.

Cheers,
Dave

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS