Payment plan real world costs

Page 4 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 67 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2372
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2019 5:32 PM

Robert Neely:

You are correct in your impression. 1980 to 1990 saw the highest percentage increase in textbook prices at somewhere around 400%.  From 1990 to 2010, price increases leveled off at ~200% every 10 years.  We are just farther up that exponential curve now.

We need the same analysis on student loans.  There is more money available so the publishers took their pound of flesh!

Posts 10032
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2019 7:33 PM

MJ. Smith:

Chris Belmonte:
Debates trying to prove God's existence are FRUITLESS

Yes, but they don't have to be; most fail to start with the basics - definitions and human experience.

Chris Belmonte:
The average Christian DOES need to "take on" Bart Erhman

Not if they waste time using loaded language rather than understanding what he is saying and speaking his language back to him. We can start by practicing some Medieval desputatio where we lean to argue both sides.

Regarding fruity debates, there is likely room for a god(s) argument. Demonstrating which one or only one is the problem, both now, and the 1st century. I think the Pastoral writer recommended 3 'debate' rounds before moving on. True.

Regarding Bart, he's the best thing that could happen to modern Christianity. Narrow down doctrines/traditions from evidence, and return to belief.  I have a subscription to his site .. he promises (not to me) my Paypal goes to charity. But the discussions are pretty down to earth; usually the students are flying around a bit.

Posts 119
Chris Belmonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 22 2019 6:25 AM

Why on earth would you give money to a fraud like him? 

I can see some people here are annoyed with my tone. I'm sorry I don't have boomer sensibilities. 

Ehrman is not "good" for Christianity. Muslims (and occasionally Jews too) use his "work" to solidify their own prejudices against Christianity. I've literally met a Jewish Professor who uses Ehrman to deceive his students. As for Muslims, well anything that justifies their own ideology internally, especially coming from a "non-Muslim" source, indirectly threatens of. Considering when they decide that taxing us and persecuting us out of existence isn't enough, they just chop off heads.

I don't care that Ehrman gives money to charity. He's spreading evil in the world.

Posts 10032
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 22 2019 7:26 AM

Chris Belmonte:

I can see some people here are annoyed with my tone. I'm sorry I don't have boomer sensibilities. 

Ehrman is not "good" for Christianity. Muslims (and occasionally Jews too) use his "work" to solidify their own prejudices against Christianity. I've literally met a Jewish Professor who uses Ehrman to deceive his students. As for Muslims, well anything that justifies their own ideology internally, especially coming from a "non-Muslim" source, indirectly threatens of. Considering when they decide that taxing us and persecuting us out of existence isn't enough, they just chop off heads.

I don't care that Ehrman gives money to charity. He's spreading evil in the world.

Chris, you're getting your arguments mixed up. Probably you didn't get boomer training.

1. The best way to sharpen up a movement (in this case Christianity) is from a strong opponent. You don't learn good chess reading about it, or doing another word study.

2. If you want to take on Bart, you need Logos. Accordance isn't going to do it. But Logos has premium prices. Not good for the movement (in this example).

3. Ergo, your original points.

Now, my argument, for many years, has been a lazy Christianity in the 20th century. Lots of chit chat. Christian leaders not sure what to do about the 1930s ... poverty and racism at the extremes. Feel good thereafter. Compare to the 1800s Christians. Or even better, the 1700s Christian leaders. So far, the 21st is shaping up to be a political ballgame, not a spiritual one.

Posts 119
Chris Belmonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 22 2019 11:20 AM

Fred Chapman:

God makes a solid point here. I agree. But It's hard to help myself. :D

Posts 119
Chris Belmonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 22 2019 11:33 AM

Denise:

Chris Belmonte:

Chris, you're getting your arguments mixed up. Probably you didn't get boomer training.

1. The best way to sharpen up a movement (in this case Christianity) is from a strong opponent. You don't learn good chess reading about it, or doing another word study.

2. If you want to take on Bart, you need Logos. Accordance isn't going to do it. But Logos has premium prices. Not good for the movement (in this example).

3. Ergo, your original points.

Now, my argument, for many years, has been a lazy Christianity in the 20th century. Lots of chit chat. Christian leaders not sure what to do about the 1930s ... poverty and racism at the extremes. Feel good thereafter. Compare to the 1800s Christians. Or even better, the 1700s Christian leaders. So far, the 21st is shaping up to be a political ballgame, not a spiritual one.

Christianity has gotten lazy, and the Church has cowardly retreated for some time now. Not much I can do about that. However, when i look at the vast majority of boomer pastors, they lack both skill and education. Everything is strained through dumb sectarian filters. The orthodox church has no hermeunetics, the catholic church is communist now. I'm being a tad hyperbolic, but the essence is true. 

What I am saying is only peripherally connected. I'm used to a close circle of friends who do NOT have old school filters and use lots of edgy terminology and language. I'm not talking about hedonist young people either. They are all Christian or sympathetic to Christianity. We face a thousand threats from a thousand directions. 

Let me get BACK on the beaten path. It's partly my fault this conversation has gone way off track.

Anyway, Logos needs DRASTICALLY lower prices, both on individual items, and packages / collections. 90% off isn't enough when it's still hundreds to thousands of dollars. What they could do, off the bat, is not charge massive prices for features. Logos is not constrained by publisher greed with their own in house products and tools. You know, you can't have two masters. There needs to be a way to let everyone have access to the interlinears, apocryphal texts, manuscripts, and concordance and various tools for free, or for an extremely low cost. One man's want is what another man claims its a need. I claim its a necessity for all of Christendom to have fast, easy, and free access to these tools, so we can win the struggle in the streets of every city and principality. I'm BEGGING Logos to pressure Christian publishers to lower prices on us, not by 10% what they are now, but 95% or something actually substantial. I'm BEGGING Logos to not charge 500 or more dollars for important features. They are all important. Every man is a temple and every man should have the tools to fight the good fight.

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2019 4:48 PM

Chris Belmonte:

hmmm...not only do you insult Catholics, Orthodox, and boomers ... if I were to describe the impression you make it would be composed in words with negative denotations. Yes, I agree with Denise - reading Ehrman with understanding should be standard. And you need to read on the interplay between Sufism, Orthodoxy, and Catholicism to improve your understanding of Islam. I'm not sure how being a deliberate distrupter supports your subsequent request for freebies. Please follow the forum guidelines of being polite enough and accurate enough to be welcome in my living room

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 119
Chris Belmonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2019 4:57 PM

MJ. Smith:

Chris Belmonte:

hmmm...not only do you insult Catholics, Orthodox, and boomers ... if I were to describe the impression you make it would be composed in words with negative denotations. Yes, I agree with Denise - reading Ehrman with understanding should be standard. And you need to read on the interplay between Sufism, Orthodoxy, and Catholicism to improve your understanding of Islam. I'm not sure how being a deliberate distrupter supports your subsequent request for freebies. Please follow the forum guidelines of being polite enough and accurate enough to be welcome in my living room

Did you email me? I emailed back. 
I will behave myself, and my statements have been crass and blunt, but they work much better with my own generation.

The catholic church DID build western civilization, and the orthodox church has the most beautiful prayers, vestments, and some doctrinal positions I'm very sympathetic toward, but not all.

I sent some personal information, and I'm sorry for being disruptive. I know I've been a problem. It can be difficult to help myself. I have been out, posting from my phone, fighting with gmail and a poor interface. I'm acknowledging I have been, and can be foolish. My statements reflect strong emotions I'm dealing with. That being said, I believe sincerely, that the overwhelming majority of Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox, are just that word, Orthodox, well-meaning, and justified before God. 

There are aspects of all of these, which I find good and helpful. But each of them have downsides as well in my opinion. I believe it is you MJ. Smith, who has helped me, thank you. Thank you for extending the olive branch to me. If it's alright, may i correspond with you privately?

Page 4 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS