A Shorten/condensed reading plan for Calvin's Institutes

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 391
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 8 2019 12:28 PM

Hi everyone, 

Stab in the dark, does anyone have a shortened/condensed reading plan for the institutes that they would like to share/link to? I know there are plenty for reading it in a year, but I was looking for something which might cover the key sections only? 

Ta, Liam

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 105
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 1:13 PM

I don't know of any reading plan like that but you might start with the 1541 version which is shorter and comes from the French instead of the Latin (one of the two modern translations are available on Logos). 

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 4:39 PM

http://larryfarlow.com/2012/12/10/read-calvins-institutes-in-90-days-or-less/

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 769
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 8 2019 5:10 PM

William McFarland:
... start with the 1541 version ...

But, maybe they prefer the 1559  ...

Wink

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 391
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2019 6:46 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your help and suggestions. I guess i was looking for something which might cover the "key sections", a short of abridged reading plan if that makes sense. 

MJ. Thank you for the link, however the download link in the article is broken :-(

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 435
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2019 10:20 AM

Have tried searching for "abridged Calvin's Institutes"? There are some out there: https://www.amazon.com/Calvins-Institutes-Abridged-Jean-Calvin-ebook/dp/B00SLHGVKW

Then divide the number of pages by the number of days in the period you want to read to create your own reading plan. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS