Logos MM: too large chunks to swallow

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1221
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 7:06 PM

Mark Smith:
In the future, should FL do this sort of thing again, I'd recommend they choose 5-6 really good books on each Bible book, and then give the discount on however many of them we chose to buy (not requiring we buy them all).

This is a good idea......I wonder if Faithlife would consider breaking up the collections?

Posts 941
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 9 2019 11:04 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

Mark Smith:
In the future, should FL do this sort of thing again, I'd recommend they choose 5-6 really good books on each Bible book, and then give the discount on however many of them we chose to buy (not requiring we buy them all).

This is a good idea......I wonder if Faithlife would consider breaking up the collections?

Although it wasn't a MM sale, I guess Faithlife came close to Mark's idea last year with their Best Commentaries sale where they offered 50% off the top 5 rated commentaries for each book of the Bible as rated on www.bestcommentaries.com .Now that was a sale where the problem was working out which books to buy as there was so many great possibilities!

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2019 4:45 AM

Graham Criddle:

One thing I have found helpful this year - and want to recognise - is that we can see what resources are included in each option.

To the best of my knowledge this is the first year it has happened.

I hope this continues in the future.

This. Yes Yes

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2019 10:34 AM

Paul Caneparo:
I guess Faithlife came close to Mark's idea last year with their Best Commentaries sale where they offered 50% off the top 5 rated commentaries for each book of the Bible as rated on www.bestcommentaries.com

Yes, I  remember that. It was great idea for a sale. Of course, it wasn't March Madness and so the discounts were not as high as the winner gets in MM.

I was also thinking not just commentaries, but other books as they've done this year. Fewer and with the option to buy them individually.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 38
Robert S Stramski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2019 5:04 PM

Paul Caneparo:
Although it wasn't a MM sale, I guess Faithlife came close to Mark's idea last year with their Best Commentaries sale where they offered 50% off the top 5 rated commentaries for each book of the Bible as rated on www.bestcommentaries.com .

I would be all over this!!

Robert

Posts 80
Kevin Wang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2019 7:41 PM

Investing in the new Galaxie bundle will limit anything else I can buy this month. The relatively expensive MM deals probably won’t get as much attention from me as compared to times past. A doctoral student doing deep studies into a specific book may find this helpful.

Posts 9
JohnHubris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2019 5:07 AM

TLDR: MM dosn't give you good value for money because they are full of "filler" resources. Regular dynamic pricing upgrades are far better value for money.

The "less desirable" resources heavily outweigh the "more desirable" resources in any given collection. Money is far better spent on collections which have significantly "more desirable" resources.

For example the James collection: $297.59. (My cost with student discount and dynamic pricing.)
The only "more desirable" books would cost me purchased separately $58.36

1. An Exegetical Summary of James ($11.17, $639.99 for the 32 volume set, $683.14 w/ Platinum upgrade)

2. High Definition Commentary: James ($27.20, $124.99 for 5 volumes)

3. Lexham Discourse Commentary: James ($19.99, $43.49 for 3 volumes)

Instead of buying three of the cheapest MM collections at $891 and getting maybe 10 "more desirable" resources
OR
I could upgrade to platinum ($683.14) and get the HD Commentary set ($124.99) and the Lexham Discourse commentary set ($43.49) for $851.62.

FYI: Platinum Upgrade ($683.14)
NT Exegetical Summary Set ($639.99),

PNTC Set ($327.99 purchased through Chinese Silver),
NAC Set ($358.50),
Tyndale commentary Set ($232.23)
Plus heaps of other "more desirable" resources!

Positive Logos marketing spin: Logos dynamic pricing and library upgrade pricing is good; while March Madness has been too good previously.

Posts 44
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2019 9:18 AM

JohnHubris:

TLDR: MM dosn't give you good value for money because they are full of "filler" resources. Regular dynamic pricing upgrades are far better value for money.

The "less desirable" resources heavily outweigh the "more desirable" resources in any given collection. Money is far better spent on collections which have significantly "more desirable" resources.

For example the James collection: $297.59. (My cost with student discount and dynamic pricing.)
The only "more desirable" books would cost me purchased separately $58.36

1. An Exegetical Summary of James ($11.17, $639.99 for the 32 volume set, $683.14 w/ Platinum upgrade)

2. High Definition Commentary: James ($27.20, $124.99 for 5 volumes)

3. Lexham Discourse Commentary: James ($19.99, $43.49 for 3 volumes)

Instead of buying three of the cheapest MM collections at $891 and getting maybe 10 "more desirable" resources
OR
I could upgrade to platinum ($683.14) and get the HD Commentary set ($124.99) and the Lexham Discourse commentary set ($43.49) for $851.62.

FYI: Platinum Upgrade ($683.14)
NT Exegetical Summary Set ($639.99),

PNTC Set ($327.99 purchased through Chinese Silver),
NAC Set ($358.50),
Tyndale commentary Set ($232.23)
Plus heaps of other "more desirable" resources!

Positive Logos marketing spin: Logos dynamic pricing and library upgrade pricing is good; while March Madness has been too good previously.

This is the math that I was guessing at in my head - it does seem like they tried really hard with expensive filler materials that are not very desirable. It's a bit disappointing and hopefully not indicative of a wider issue that's going to continue to reoccur. 

Posts 3
Phillip Chong | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2019 7:08 PM

Agree. Regardless of who wins, I won't be buying any of these bundles. There are so many filler commentaries/resources while leaving out so many of the best ones! It may be cheaper to just buy the best ones even without discount!

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 7:05 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

I've also always been on-board during MM.  But this year, after my first look at the offerings, my anticipation balloon rapidly deflated and hit the floor.   I thought "Hmmm ...I guess nothing for me this year".  I didn't even check out the voting during the first couple of rounds.  But then during round 3, I took at peek to see what was happening.  Still no real excitement or interest, but I decided to cast my votes in that round in the off-chance something was to happen later in the process to peak my interest.

I do agree though that it's nice to see up front what's included in the bundles.

I took a look at round 4, but decided it wouldn't be right to vote any more as I'm very unlikely to purchase any bundle.  I've realized that on the "Book" side of the bundles, I already have a good percentage of the resources I'm really interested in.  But even if I was interested in enough of the remaining resources to consider a purchase, the bundle cost is much more than I want to spend for several resources on a single book of the Bible--even with dynamic pricing applied to the MM sale prices.

I see more of interest on the "Mobile Ed" side of the bundles, but there I hit one (or both) of two roadblocks.  1) There are just enough courses in the bundle that I'm not interested in that it leaves the bundle price unappealing.  2) The bundle is just too large to be affordable for me, even with dynamic pricing applied to the MM sales prices.

But it's OK.  I have benefitted from many sales and appreciate the many sales opportunities Faithlife has provided.  I also realize there are likely many people who are in different walks of life and at different stages of life than mine, for whom this MM sale may be very appealing.  I'm happy for them!  Smile

Posts 38
nl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 4:02 PM

"I'm incredibly disappointed, and somewhat disillusioned, at Faithlife for their decision to structure the MM the way they did this year.  As many others have said, this was always the highlight of the year for me, where I'd often spend a good bit of coin.  Not this year.  I halfheartedly voted a little bit this past week, but have stopped voting and won't be purchasing anything from the MM for the first time in forever."

This is accurate for me.

Posts 3236
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 5:19 PM

No

Agreed... This sale gets a thumbs down for me

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 5:33 PM

I think they are discounting individual volumes now... or at least this one (I haven't checked others)

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 1221
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 6:36 PM

Whatever it was it is no longer that way......Let's hope!

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 7:00 PM

Weird! The discount has not been removed for me as well. Indifferent

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 11:22 PM

See these

https://www.logos.com/march-matchups-ot-2

https://www.logos.com/march-matchups-nt-1

https://www.logos.com/march-matchups-nt-2

It is obvious that these are still under constructions because other links (mobile ed, ot-1, etc.) are still broken. So let's wait patiently.

But good news is they're listening and they are doing whatever they can to sweeten the deal. Hopefully all those negativity will go away.

Happy bidding.

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:26 AM

NICE! I might actually get a few things now. Thanks Faithlife!

Posts 1426
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 4:59 PM

UPDATE: it’s official, they are discounting individual books 

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/180067.aspx

Thank you Faithlife 👌👍🙌

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 9
JohnHubris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 6:19 PM

Awesome way to listen to feedback :D

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 2:33 PM

not really sure where to put this (General?) but this resource was not discounted:

https://www.logos.com/product/55657/johns-use-of-ezekiel-understanding-the-unique-perspective-of-the-fourth-gospel

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS