Add Feature - Search Within Anchors

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 90
Paul Yeager | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 10 2019 3:36 PM

I would guess a lot of Logos users would like to be able to search for (and then view) all their notes and highlights made in Bibles and commentaries for a specific Bible reference. 

I am adding his suggestion because I believe it would allow Logos users to search all of their notes for highlights and notes on a Bible reference 

------------

In Logos 8, when passages in commentaries are highlighted, the anchor for the note includes both the Bible reference and the name of the resource (Examples, "John 10:25-30 BECNT JN" or "John 10:29 UBS Handbook: John").  

I think it would improve Logos 8 immensely if an update allowed users to search within anchors.  For instance, a search for <John 10:29> would generate a list of notes and highlights which would include both of the above highlights.  Currently, a search for <John 10:29> or John 10:29 does not bring up either of the highlights noted above.  My understanding is that currently the only way to find both of these notes on John 29 would be to open John under the Bible Book section of the Notes sidebar and then scroll through all of one's notes for John beginning at John 1:1. And yes, that can lead to a LOT of scrolling.  Ironically, the difficulty of finding highlights for a bible passage increases as a user creates more highlights and notes.  

Just wondering if there are other community members who would like this search capability.  And hoping so one from Logos can weigh in on this as well.

Posts 1775
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 2 2019 9:57 AM

Thanks, Paul. I agree. We'd like to solve this, but we don't currently have a time frame for it. Thanks for the feedback, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

I think there are four different features here:

1. Search your note content for a Bible reference.
  2. Search the anchored text of your notes for a Bible reference.
  3. Search for notes anchored to a Bible reference.
  4. Search for notes tagged with a Bible reference.

You can currently do #1 by searching for John 10:29 (with or without the brackets) by running a Basic Search of Everything or Your Documents.

You can currently do part of #2 by searching in your highlights using the search extension (e.g., <John 10:29> WITHIN {Highlight *}) or the search fields.

You can partially do #3 by filtering your notes to John and scrolling to John 10:29, but there's no easy way to do it.

You can do #4 by using the Filters sidebar to find the reference, but only if you've tagged your notes with a Bible reference. And tags are currently just strings, not data type references.

Let us know if you need help with any of these.

I agree doing these from the Notes panel search box would be ideal. I hope we can make that happen eventually.

Posts 7909
LogosEmployee

You can do #3 by running a Basic Search in Your Documents for:

references:<John 10:29>

Posts 13141
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2019 1:36 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

You can do #3 by running a Basic Search in Your Documents for:

references:<John 10:29>

The fact that even Phil didn't know how to do this (and nor did I), suggests there's a significant documentation/discoverability issue again. Are there any other fields (or pseudo-fields) we don't know about? References isn't one of the fields listed when you search Your Documents, and I couldn't find it in the help file, either.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS