Opening a notebook from the Notebook button in the Noted Editor

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 21871
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 12 2019 1:13 PM

The release notes for 8.4 beta 1 have:

• Added the ability to open a notebook from the Notebook button in the Notes Editor.

And this is really welcome, pleased to see it.

But, as far as I can see, it does this by selecting the Notebook in the currently open instance of the Notes Tool. I think it would be helpful - maybe better - if it opened another instance of the Notes Tool with that Notebook selected.

What do others think?

Thanks, Graham 

Posts 1972
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 1:22 PM

Graham Criddle:

it does this by selecting the Notebook in the currently open instance of the Notes Tool. I think it would be helpful - maybe better - if it opened another instance of the Notes Tool with that Notebook selected.

What do others think?

My internet connection is still having me hope that I'll get beta 1 downloaded before beta 2 is released!... so I can't "play" with it yet, but my initial thought is that if no filters whatsoever are applied, then open in the current instance, otherwise open a new instance.

Posts 21871
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 12 2019 1:25 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
but my initial thought is that if no filters whatsoever are applied, then open in the current instance, otherwise open a new instance.

So I think you are saying that if we start from here

Clicking the notebook icon should not end up here - i.e. with the existing filters still in place and the notebook added to them

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 11:08 AM

Graham Criddle:
I think it would be helpful - maybe better - if it opened another instance of the Notes Tool with that Notebook selected.

Reuben Helmuth:
my initial thought is that if no filters whatsoever are applied, then open in the current instance, otherwise open a new instance.

Can you explain your reasoning? I can't think of another example where clicking something inside the Notes tool opens a new instance. It's also uncommon in the application in general.

Just thinking "out loud"— What you are describing is sort of similar to inline search behavior: Open a Bible, run an inline search, click the reference above a result, and it opens in a new instance. Though, to be honest, I've always found that to be a bit confusing an annoying; I expect it to clear the search and jump to the reference in the same panel. 

Help me understand what you are trying to do: In what scenario would you build a filtered view, and then want to open a new instance?

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 21871
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 1:14 PM

Hi Adam

One scenario - I am reviewing my notes on Matthew’s Gospel (so have filtered to that Gospel) and come across some notes that I wrote when preparing for a sermon series on Discipleship (there were placed in a Discipleship Sermon notebook). 

This leads me to want to review the notes for that sermon series and so I want to open the Discipleship Sermon notebook. However, that contains notes anchored in a range of biblical books.

The current implementation would limit me to just seeing those notes anchored in Matthew whereas opening a new instance of the Notes Tool would show me all notes in the Discipleship Sermon notebook.

Graham

Posts 1972
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 1:33 PM

In addition to the scenario Graham described (which I was also envisioning), there's currently the possibility of having a note in the editor that's not part of the filtered list, such as when opening a note from a workflow while a notes tool instance is open (BTW, I consider this a bug).

Provided that a note never appeared in the editor without being in the notes list (including by changing filters!) I would be fine with the current behavior but would like to suggest that a Cmd/Ctrl+click would open a new instance/tab, just like clicking a link in a web browser.

Edit: The problem of having a note in the editor but not in the list due to changing filters is something I complained about probably a year ago already. If you do keep the current behavior, you at least need to make sure the note is included in the list before adding the notebook filter, otherwise, you'll end up with no results.

Posts 21871
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 1:52 PM

And I’m sure there’s another scenario that I come across quite frequently but I’m away from my computer at the moment and can’t envision it!

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 9:11 PM

Thank you both for your thoughts. I'm not completely convinced, but I'll bring it up with for discussion with our design team. Cmd/Ctrl+click is interesting compromise. 

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2019 9:13 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
I consider this a bug... The problem of having a note in the editor but not in the list

Reuben, we agree. We are actively working on solving this issue. No firm ETA, but I'm reasonably confident we'll deliver it in the 8.4 beta cycle. 

Posts 1972
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 12:02 AM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
Cmd/Ctrl+click is interesting compromise. 

Just a bit ago I wished for this functionality in the Passage Guide. I was looking at Important Passages and wanted to open a new instance of my Bible to a reference of interest. I did find that I could open in a new tab by right clicking, selecting the reference, then clicking "open in new tab",  but it would have been MUCH easier/faster and intuitive to simply Cmd+click the reference link. I point this out to show that this functionality would be useful throughout the app, not just in the Notes tool.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS