Is this an error in the Hebrew language database?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 162
Scott Jacobsen | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 14 2019 8:22 AM

I was looking at Psalm 23:6. The last line is, 

וְשַׁבְתִּ֥י בְּבֵית־יְ֝הוָ֗ה לְאֹ֣רֶךְ יָמִֽים׃ [Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia: With Westminster Hebrew Morphology., electronic ed. (Stuttgart; Glenside PA: German Bible Society; Westminster Seminary, 1996), Ps 23:6.]

Logos tags וְשַׁבְתִּ֥י "and I shall dwell" as being of the root, שׁוב, "to return" when "ישׁב" "to dwell" would be expected. 

When I ran a word study on שׁוב, it lists these passages as "predicators" in Genesis 13:6; 16:3; 19:1; 18:1, but when I turn to these passages each one indicates not שׁוב but ישׁב. 

Am I missing something? It seems that WIVU on Psalm 23:6 is mistagged, or I'm possibly not seeing the connection.

Thanks, all.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 9:22 AM

In this verse, the tagging is correct as pointed in the MT

To show the power of Logos:

6 Good and commitment will certainly chase me
          all the days of my life.
   I will return to [MT]/dwell in [LXX] Yhwh's house
         for long days.

In v. 6b, both "return to" and "dwell in" make partial sense but also raise problems, and it finally makes little difference which we follow.24 MT implies that the worshipper's returning is a recurrent, not a once-for-all act, but it also implies that we return in order to stay for a while. LXX hardly implies that the worshipper sleeps in the temple every night, which could only apply to (e.g.) a Levite.25 Perhaps the suppliant lives with an ongoing cycle of danger, deliverance, and dwelling. But references elsewhere (e.g., 27:4–5) suggest that the expression could be understood figuratively to refer to dwelling in the realm of Yhwh's provision and protection.26

Goldingay, J. (2006). Baker Commentary on the Old Testament: Psalms 1–41. (T. Longman III, Ed.) (Vol. 1, p. 352). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.

Footnote 24 cites a full discussion of this: Ernst A. Knauf, “Psalm xxiii 6,” VT 51 (2001): 556.

Posts 162
Scott Jacobsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 8:56 PM

Thank you for the reply, but I was wondering why a word study on שׁוב used examples (noted above) for the lemma, ישׁב. I can understand how one could be read in Psalm 23:6, but am perplexed as to why it is mixed this way in the database.

Thanks, though, for the Goldingay reference.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 9:02 PM

I don't really have the time to look into everything. Maybe some Logos person could chime in here.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS