Sermon Guide--Words per Minute adjust?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 223
Bruce Junkermann | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 14 2019 10:26 AM

Is there a way to adjust the words per minute in the Sermon guide?

Posts 4602
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 11:49 AM

Not at this time.

Posts 223
Bruce Junkermann | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 11:50 AM

Thanks for letting me know.

Posts 1835
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 1:07 PM

Bruce Junkermann:

I find when I actually preach the sermon I'm taking about 2x as long as the estimate. How about you?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 21914
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 1:09 PM

David Thomas:

Bruce Junkermann:

I find when I actually preach the sermon I'm taking about 2x as long as the estimate. How about you?

I find it quite accurate

Posts 4602
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 1:11 PM

I find that if it says 20 minutes, it usually takes me around 25 minutes. But that is primarily because of what what I add to the message from the pulpit. If I stuck just to the content, it would probably be fairly accurate.

Posts 8940
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2019 3:28 PM

Fredc:
But that is primarily because of what what I add to the message from the pulpit. If I stuck just to the content, it would probably be fairly accurate.

I think that many of us can relate to that. I know that I sure can. Stick out tongue

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 142
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 7:54 AM

Without easily made adjustments for personal style, this is a largely symbolic feature. I find that I can READ a 3,000 word manuscript in about 20 minutes, but it takes me 35-40 to PREACH that same manuscript, because I don't read it word for word, but use it as a map for the sermon. 

Posts 1835
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 9:49 AM

Pastor Greg:
this is a largely symbolic feature.

Thank you to each who has responded. It confirms that the timer is like the MPG (MPL in the metric world?) on a vehicle sticker.  It always has the disclaimer "Your actual mileage may vary"

Honestly, my final product in the Sermon Guide is a "detailed outline" more than a "manuscript". I am convinced that a preacher must be prepared in heart and mind before preaching, but that the act of preaching is a human/divine exercise if it is to be transformative so I don't fret if I go off script. I would guess this explains the variance.

So to the OP of the thread. I don't know how a computer could calculate a more accurate timer for many of us. I guess experience will teach the homiletician to mentally adjust the data to his/her personal situation.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS