Indexing, Is it Really Worth the Time?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:39 PM

Over the past several months, my poor computer has indexed, merged-indexed, and re-indexed for more than 50 hours...and counting. The result? Well, other than wear on my hard drive, I now can search my entire library in less than 5 seconds. A similar search used to take me about 30 seconds in L3. Should I be impressed? Is this really the future of bible study software?

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:51 PM

You could search your entire library in 30 seconds in L3? Not me.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 31961
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 7:00 PM

DHG:
I now can search my entire library in less than 5 seconds. A similar search used to take me about 30 seconds in L3.

The size of the library and the type of search make a big difference in the gains, but personally I think an 83% decrease in time is sufficient to be impressed. Statistically a single search tells me very little but for starters that's not bad.Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 7:05 PM

Yeah, maybe hours of searching will eventually, statistically, begin to make up for the disparity in the hours upon hours of indexing.

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 7:12 PM

...and to be fair, most of my indexing was done while I was asleepSleep

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:30 PM

Fortunately I have never experienced the excessive indexing problem that some have been having.  Since my L4 purchase in Nov '09, the only time I have had to index has been the initial install, after a purchase and after an update.  The indexing time has been worth it to me.

I'm sure if I had experienced the daily indexing issues it would be driving me nuts too.

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 9:09 PM

Todd Phillips:

You could search your entire library in 30 seconds in L3? Not me.

Small library or fast computer.......Computer

When I ran searches under Version 3 I would literally take a coffee break.Coffee

Since I index while sleeping or away from the computer, I hardly notice it. Sleep

EDIT: Hey Todd! That is strange how the forum software added my comment to your quote. Scary!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 9:19 PM

DHG:
Over the past several months, my poor computer has indexed, merged-indexed, and re-indexed for more than 50 hours...and counting.

Laptops/Netbooks suffer most from indexing because the cooling system is barely satisfactory. The thing to do is ignore the invitation to manually index (Merge) in Basic Search's "New Resources" section or to re-index because you think it will be more efficient. My strategy with multiple computers is to regard my desktop system as a master for downloading and indexing and to use Method 1 or 2 at Quick Installation onto multiple computers for the laptop. The desktop tells me what has been downloaded (Auto Download = NO on my systems) and I don't mind the laptop indexing a few MB.

The situation will change with 4.0d (currently in beta) as Merge has been re-introduced and my tests have been very encouraging. This true Merge takes minutes and not hours when compared to a rebuild (a "merge" in 4.0c performs a rebuild!).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 5 2010 9:47 PM

DHG:
Over the past several months, my poor computer has indexed, merged-indexed, and re-indexed for more than 50 hours...and counting. The result? Well, other than wear on my hard drive, I now can search my entire library in less than 5 seconds. A similar search used to take me about 30 seconds in L3. Should I be impressed? Is this really the future of bible study software?

You shouldn't forget that indexing on your own computer also makes the downloads significantly smaller (because in L3 the index is included in the download). For example in L3, the ante-nicene fathers requires a 51.6Mb download. In L4 it's 31.7Mb (a 39% saving).

It's also the case that the many updates we've been receiving to L4 have necessitated more indexing than will normally be the case. I'd expect to be indexing less in the future as those updates slow down (though 4.0d due in a month or two will require a full index).

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 12:03 AM

My 13GB of resources indexes in just under 4 hours. The increase in search speed over Logos 3 is nothing short of incredible. The time this saves me is invaluable.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 1:28 AM

Dave, you're right. I'm using a laptop, and that certainly slows things down.

Mark, good points; thanks. And I look forward to 4.0d

Blessings!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS