Please Stop Hijacking Threads

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 316
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 4:10 PM

Hey everyone needs to just chill out.  What is the big deal if a conversation takes a turn??  It keeps it interesting, if you don't want to waste your time, read something else!!  I mean their are people who live to tell someone that they are not following the guidelines, hey get a life people!!

Posts 411
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 4:36 PM

John Goodman:

Fredc:

John Goodman:

Is there a Logos resource that would help me apply the Bible to deciding what to eat for dinner?

https://www.logos.com/product/46727/what-did-the-ancient-israelites-eat-diet-in-biblical-times

https://www.logos.com/product/161667/you-are-not-what-you-weigh

Thanks I went for Shiitake Mushrooms, Lamb steak and a fine rioja;) Your a good sport... Shalom

Now that's a seriously good meal!  Keep well Paul 

Posts 261
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 4:39 PM

Let's all remember "Mike Binks." https://community.logos.com/forums/t/180041.aspx

Posts 38
Robert S Stramski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 5:14 PM

Mathew Haferkamp:
Hey everyone needs to just chill out.  What is the big deal if a conversation takes a turn??  It keeps it interesting, if you don't want to waste your time, read something else!!  I mean their are people who live to tell someone that they are not following the guidelines, hey get a life people!!

Have to agree. It was over earlier today. I get the poster’s original intent. The whole thing was silly and accomplished nothing as predicted. Lol. I find it interesting that after the whole thing blew over that people kept posting. That was the comical part. I hold no ill will and it all is what it is. I still love this forum and find it a place of solace. It really does bless me to see others love the Word so much and love the software and platform. Just coming here and knowing there are so many who love one book and thousands of books about it again brings me comfort. Well.....it has been a day. I hope everyone has a great evening and a great weekend. Gonna be in the 60s in Oklahoma; finally warming up a little.

Posts 878
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 5:31 PM

First, why someone might hate thread being hijacked: if one follows a thread (by subscribing to email), they will be spammed by the hijacked topics. Especially if a thread is a decade old, dozens pages long, a lot of people is going to be spammed.

Now, why hijacking is unavoidable?

• Forum guidelines are too nice. I recently point out someone went off-topic on a thread about Linux version of Logos and got challenged by an MVP by claiming it is not welcoming. (Note that please don’t hijack this thread discussing if it is off-topic or welcoming Wink. Links attached and judge yourself and whatever your conclusion is, don’t start the fire again.)

• Someone might mentioned something relevant to a thread, but there’s often a follow-up question not relevant to that thread. By replying, you make sure the original author (the “someone above”) is notified, but then it spams everyone.

• Forum here is linear, not a tree. In many other implementation of a forum on the net, a thread is a tree. i.e. a starts. b reply to a, c reply to b, d reply to a, then it’s a tree of

• a
      • b
        • c
      • d

then one can safely ignore the b-tree if that gets digressed by hiding it.

• One’s digression is another’s on-topic. There’s another challenge by another MVP on another thread about exposing trait, where a proposed solution is one that effectively exposing trait through DIY.

So it is mission impossible to stop any hijacking in its current forum. i.e. Logos forum is defective by design. (See first 3 bullets above.)

Proposed solutions: (Cherry-pick some of these or propose other solutions. Don’t argue. Another toxic thing in Logos forum is that people just like to argue, but let’s brainstorm. Bad ideas will sink, good ones rise. You don’t need to kill bad ones.)

• migrate Logos forum to Faithlife social network. For old posts, either fully migrate it to the new platform or make it read-only.
    • The reason is, Faithlife social network is designed to be a nice place (see the forum guidelines problem above.) And as a social network we totally accept digression.
  • Implement a much more tightly controlled “forum” for technical discussions. How tight? Examples are GitHub issue tracker, Stack Exchange and friends. There’s no friendliness in discussion and everyone is just being “professional”. Off-topic? Close the issue/question, ban the user from speaking up in that issue/question, etc.
    • The reason is, you just can’t be nice and strict at the same time, look at the forum guidelines, hijacking is completely fine according to the guidelines. It only says keep the discussion focus on Logos…, not focus on the topic of a thread. So effectively what is asked in this thread is completely unenforcible, and can only cause confusion.
Posts 38
Robert S Stramski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 15 2019 7:23 PM

Kolen Cheung:
Now, why hijacking is unavoidable?

That was amazing!! Well don't worry about me. I'm not gonna hijack, lojack, or watch Billy Jack ever again......I learned my lesson!

Robert

Posts 161
Anthony Dowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2019 4:27 AM

👍

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS