Most Important Logos 8 Bugs and Improvements for Academic/Seminary Users

Page 5 of 6 (106 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 105 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 2764
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 7:42 AM

Mark Barnes:

SineNomine:
Could you clarify what exactly you mean?

Let's say you click on footnote 14, and it says "ibid" ("ibid" means "the same as the previous reference"). You then have to find, and click on, footnote 13, to find out what book it refers to. If you're unlucky, it too will say "ibid.", and you'll then have to go back to footnote 12, or even footnote 11 or earlier…

This is a valid and important point and one that I hope isn't ignored. The 'ibids' were invented in an era of mechanical printing to save time and effort (and thus money) on printing, and were used on a hard copy where looking at a list meant scanning your eyes up the page a bit to find the original citation.

In the electronic publishing world, these abbreviations are not necessary (copy and paste), and when citations are viewed through pop-ups, make things much more complicated than they should be. (However, until the style manuals agree, we probably won't see much change.)

This isn't a lot different from the dropping of the double space after a period. A necessary convention in paper printing became a formatting issue in electronic publishing, and needed to go away. Though I've rarely seen as much anger about something absolutely tiny in my life as asking people to do away with the second space after a period. Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2457
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 9:37 AM

I have an alternate view. If the electronic resource is a digitization of a printed work, I'd rather have ibids as printed, whether in the footnotes or the main body. I'd welcome tagging (links and pointers) to help out though.

Posts 629
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 3:37 PM

Jordan Litchfield:

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that neither the morphology charts nor the tagging of the LHB have ever been completely finished. It seems to me that both of these would be a must for academic/seminary users.

Morphology Charts:

• Most importantly, I would like to be able to open the morphology chart for a lemma from the context menu. Right now you can get there by first clicking on the Bible Word Study guide from the context menu and then clicking on Morphology Chart within the guide. Why not just put a link directly to the Morphology Chart on the context menu itself?

Word Lists:

On a separate note, I have a small simple request (although I know it's not a bug): Can the Word Lists please include the number of words on the list so that you can quickly know how much lemmas are on each word list? See this forum post for rationale: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/176766.aspx

Reverse Interlinears:

• Academic users would benefit from having reverse interlinears for the following bibles: NJPS (Tanakh 1985), NET, CEB (including apocrypha), REB (including apocrypha), and the NETS (Septuagint).
  • BUG: The RSV is missing interlinear information for the following books: Susanna and Bel and the Dragon. See this forum post for more details (https://community.logos.com/forums/t/174718.aspx). Initially I included Song of the Three Youths and 2 Esdras, however Song of the Three Youths seems to be working now, and 2 Esdras never had any interlinear info since the original text is in Latin (according to Isaiah from Faithlife). This problem does not exist for the RSVCE or RSV2CE.
Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 6:11 PM

This is more of a... cherry on top than anything, but I would love some finer control over fonts and panel backgrounds. For example, I would love to be able to set all my tabs/panes with scriptural text against a papyrus background (instantly know which tab has Bible text in it), and an archaic Hebrew font without pointing. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 38
Steven New | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 8:28 PM

Everyone that has been mentioning visual advanced search is speaking my main concern. A nice side panel search with all the advance search codes organized in a logical manner. This could even allow for refining searches. 

Posts 36
LogosEmployee
Isaiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 7:22 AM

Kiyah:

• BUG: The RSV is missing interlinear information for the following books: Susanna and Bel and the Dragon. See this forum post for more details (https://community.logos.com/forums/t/174718.aspx). Initially I included Song of the Three Youths and 2 Esdras, however Song of the Three Youths seems to be working now, and 2 Esdras never had any interlinear info since the original text is in Latin (according to Isaiah from Faithlife). This problem does not exist for the RSVCE or RSV2CE.

Kiyah:

We're sorry that you are still experiencing this issue. What's the version of the RSV and reverse interlinears you are working from? They should be stamped with 2018-11-06. We'll do our best to get this resolved.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention again!

Isaiah

Posts 629
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 10:39 AM

Isaiah:

Kiyah:

We're sorry that you are still experiencing this issue. What's the version of the RSV and reverse interlinears you are working from? They should be stamped with 2018-11-06. We'll do our best to get this resolved.

Isaiah

My RSV is indeed the 2018-11-06 version, as are the interlinears. I always let Logos update everything automatically, so I have the latest stable version of Logos as well (SR-3, 8.3.0.0034).

Posts 629
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 11:00 AM

Isaiah:

Kiyah:

Isaiah

Isaiah,

I was playing around with the interlinear similar to what you had me try in my original forum thread and it crashed a couple of times so I'm attaching the log files. It crashed twice before I did the log file so I had to try to make it crash a third time to be able to create the file.

7652.Logos Log Files (2).zip

Posts 36
LogosEmployee
Isaiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 2:41 PM

Kiyah:

I wasn't able to determine anything with your log files, but I believe I've gotten to the root of the problem (at long last). Thank you for your patience waiting for this to get properly fixed.

A new version of the RSV with reverse interlinears is scheduled to ship this coming Monday.

Posts 162
Scott Jacobsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 3:13 PM

I could certainly live with this--if a hyperlink to the referent to the Ibid was made available so jut by hovering over it I could see it, or go to it if available in Logos.

Posts 629
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 4:47 PM

Isaiah:

Kiyah:

I wasn't able to determine anything with your log files, but I believe I've gotten to the root of the problem (at long last). Thank you for your patience waiting for this to get properly fixed.

A new version of the RSV with reverse interlinears is scheduled to ship this coming Monday.

Yay! Thanks Isaiah!

Posts 1795
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 30 2019 3:35 AM

Another thing with Search Improvements is the ability to match/ignore diacritics, vowel points, etc. For instance, there is currently absolutely no way to distinguish between "mode" and "mōðe".

Posts 13144
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 30 2019 4:10 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
For instance, there is currently absolutely no way to distinguish between "mode" and "mōðe".

You can already distinguish between languages: danish:mōðe

Posts 1795
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 30 2019 5:31 AM

Mark Barnes:
You can already distinguish between languages: danish:mōðe

But mōðe is not Danish. It's a typo/OCR error of mōše (the SBL Academic transliteration of the Hebrew מֹשֶׁה = Moses). It occurs twice here: https://ref.ly/logosres/txtlcrtcsmvrvwl?ref=lms.LMS+I+2.1.2.c&off=1337 

Posts 1256
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2019 9:46 AM

Kiyah:
BUG: The RSV is missing interlinear information for the following books: Susanna and Bel and the Dragon. See this forum post for more details (https://community.logos.com/forums/t/174718.aspx). Initially I included Song of the Three Youths and 2 Esdras, however Song of the Three Youths seems to be working now, and 2 Esdras never had any interlinear info since the original text is in Latin (according to Isaiah from Faithlife). This problem does not exist for the RSVCE or RSV2CE.

An update to the RSV should ship today (April 1, 2019) that we believe will address these issues.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 629
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 3:04 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):

Kiyah:
BUG: The RSV is missing interlinear information for the following books: Susanna and Bel and the Dragon. See this forum post for more details (https://community.logos.com/forums/t/174718.aspx). Initially I included Song of the Three Youths and 2 Esdras, however Song of the Three Youths seems to be working now, and 2 Esdras never had any interlinear info since the original text is in Latin (according to Isaiah from Faithlife). This problem does not exist for the RSVCE or RSV2CE.

An update to the RSV should ship today (April 1, 2019) that we believe will address these issues.

The updates have downloaded and the RSV reverse interlinear looks to be working now. Thanks!

Posts 1795
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 4:28 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Please keep your requests focused on the kinds of things relevant to the needs of the academic/seminary audience

Here's something that would be really nice... partner with www.academia.edu to have all their academic papers available on demand in Logos. One possibility would be to simply have them available in the "public" tab of our Docs menu (with relevant faceted browsing, of course). I would prefer a solution, however, where I could get notified within Logos of any new Papers from the people I follow or the subjects I've selected. Also, I'd strongly prefer having these as library resources rather than "documents". Of course, a new resource type ("article" or "paper") would be required. 

I would like the ability to set up "channels" that would automatically download papers that meet my criteria. Additionally, if the entire catalog could be indexed and populate the Cloud Resources Search Results, that would be incredible.

I know this is more of a New Feature request, but I think the value would be HUGE for academic users.

Posts 287
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 5:09 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Here's something that would be really nice... partner with www.academia.edu to have all their academic papers available on demand in Logos. One possibility would be to simply have them available in the "public" tab of our Docs menu (with relevant faceted browsing, of course). I would prefer a solution, however, where I could get notified within Logos of any new Papers from the people I follow or the subjects I've selected. Also, I'd strongly prefer having these as library resources rather than "documents". Of course, a new resource type ("article" or "paper") would be required. 

I would like the ability to set up "channels" that would automatically download papers that meet my criteria. Additionally, if the entire catalog could be indexed add populate the Cloud Resources Search Results, that would be incredible.

I know this is more of a New Feature request, but I think the value would be HUGE for academic users.

This indeed would be HUGE!!!!!! Great idea!!!!!YesYesYes

Posts 54
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 5:49 AM

Charlene:

Reuben Helmuth:

I would like the ability to set up "channels" that would automatically download papers that meet my criteria. Additionally, if the entire catalog could be indexed add populate the Cloud Resources Search Results, that would be incredible.

This indeed would be HUGE!!!!!! Great idea!!!!!YesYesYes

I concur. This would be awesome.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 5:55 AM

I still just want all the citations for everything in my library, especially journals, to be fully there and in the proper format I selected in the program settings.

I would love to click on ibid and have it take me to the resource, and not to the line above that also says ibid, and so forth.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 5 of 6 (106 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS