Logos 8 Performance on Mac

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 236
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 16 2019 6:22 PM

What Apple computer (Mac Mini, Macbook, MacBook Pro, iMac)are you running Logos 8 on and how is the performance?

I am currently using a MacBook Pro 15-inch, Mid 2014, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, and 512 SSD. Logos 8 runs fast, and I only hear the fan come on during indexing.

I am considering purchasing a new Mac mini to run Logos on two 4k monitors. Only concerns with the Mac mini is the weakness of the video card and possibly slowing down Logos 8.

Posts 4602
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2019 8:23 PM

I have been running L8 on a 2017 Macbook Air. I ran L7 on it before L8. I have no complaints with the performance. I am not "techy" enough to speak about the video card quality of the Mac Mini. I can tell you that I have seen a number of people who have issues related to lower end video cards. I can tell you that I would not go with the standard 128gb or 256gb SSD the mini comes with. I would not run any less than a 512gb SSD. 

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 16 2019 8:38 PM

Fredc:
I can tell you that I would not go with the standard 128gb or 256gb SSD the mini comes with. I would not run any less than a 512gb SSD. 

For me, it depends upon what the computer is being used for. If <only> Logos, 256 should be sufficient. If it is used for music, photos, etc. then I certainly agree with Fred. 

Fredc:
I can tell you that I have seen a number of people who have issues related to lower end video cards.

On Mac? I am not aware of any such problems. I have an older Mac Mini which does have Logos installed, but it is really a backup machine to my MacBook Pro. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 236
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 1:06 AM

Yes

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 4:27 AM

Re-reading your post, I should say that I don't have one 4K monitor, let alone two. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 17 2019 4:33 AM

Im facing a similar problem and often time the recommendation you can get is very much base on impression and subjective experience. I just open a thread about benchmark and hopefully something more concrete can come out before I finally need to give up my current already problematic MBP.

Posts 236
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2019 10:08 AM

Yes

Posts 36
Anthony Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2019 7:36 PM

The difference in performance between the 750m and 630 is negligible. Are you running your current mac on two 4k monitors?

Posts 262
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2019 7:56 PM

I'm on a 2015 MacBook Pro, 13inch with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD, 2.7Ghz i5 processor. It runs great for me, and I rarely hear the fan, even when indexing. I generally only hear the fan when it's indexing at the same time as my backup is going. I use it with an external monitor, having Logos windows open on both monitors. Logos 8 runs so much more smoothly than 7 did, in my opinion. 

Posts 743
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2019 8:44 PM

Jonathan Bradley:

Logos 8 runs so much more smoothly than 7 did, in my opinion. 

Yes, this is also my experience. Logos 8 is a significant improvement and step forward.

Armin

Posts 1363
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 18 2019 9:12 PM

I'm on a 2014 MbPro with a 512Gb SSD and 8Gb RAM. I usually run it in clamshell, hooked up to a 32" 4k monitor and a 24" 1920x1080. 

I find that the video performance is significantly better if I'm running the 4k at native resolution (too small) or half resolution, i.e. like a 32" 1920x1080. If I'm scaling the 4k monitor, it struggles a bit moving windows, streaming video, etc. I'm interested in a new Mac mini, and have had the same minor worry about the video, since I'd like to replace my HD monitor with another 4k. 

I've read elsewhere that the Mini with 16 or even 32Gb RAM has an effect on the video performance, so you can run 2x4k (even scaled) without problems. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 236
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2019 3:42 AM

Yes, I am running two 4k monitors on my current set up (see above) without any problem. I have been considering adding a Mac Mini but I am worried about the weak video card. Maybe, I should just trade in my older MacBook Pro and get a new MacBook Pro which has a much better video card than the Mac Mini. 

Posts 236
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2019 3:43 AM

Cool

Posts 884
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2019 3:43 AM

have you considered external GPU with the Mac Mini?

Posts 1363
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 19 2019 11:13 AM

Note that Apple updated iMacs today. Much stronger GPUs and 6-8 core 9th gen Intel processors. Nice stuff.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS