What are the March Madness "must haves?"

Page 5 of 5 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 92 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 25 2019 1:38 PM

GaoLu:
Yet in the end, to appeal to logic as final authority is a wobbly self-deception because we can only apply logic to what we can perceive (rooted in our nasty, deceptive senses)  we end up back at faith in the authority of God.   

While I don't necessarily agree with all the points, you might find James C. McGlothlin's The Logiphro Dilemma: An Examination of the Relationship between God and Logic a interesting read.

Is God above logic? If so, is he irrational? Is God subservient to logic? If so, is he really omnipotent? These questions are similar to Socrates' infamous challenge to explaining God's relation to morality, the so-called Euthyphro dilemma. In this book McGlothlin argues that the Euthyphro challenge can be extended to help explain the relationship between God and logic, what he call the Logiphro dilemma. Logic, on this account, depends on aspects of God's mind other than God's will. This is a nonstandard form of theistic logical dependence. It contrasts both with the standard form of theistic logical dependence, according to which logic depends on God's will, and with theistic logical independence, according to which logic is independent of God. These rival views can be seen as the horns of the Logiphro dilemma: either logic depends on God's will, in which case special revelation would no longer be communicable; or logic is independent of God, in which case core claims of classical theism--for example, that God is the only independent being--would be violated. The best way to escape both of these horns, according to McGlothlin, is to adopt the nonstandard form of theistic logical dependence.

The better known but in my mind the lesser logician is Vern Poythress's  Logic: A God-Centered Approach to the Foundation of Western Thought 

Another marginally related book comes to mind; Michael Durrant's The Logical Status of "God"

And I just found an interesting book hidden among the ebooks Scientific Models for Religious Knowledge: Are the Scientific Study of Religion and a Religious Epistemology Compatible? by Ralls

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 25 2019 1:42 PM

Josh:
Any resource that can start a debate is worth owning. Smile

Logos should give you a big reward - that's the best promo for their products I've ever seen.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1379
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2019 12:17 AM

MJ. Smith:
Logos should give you a big reward - that's the best promo for their products I've ever seen.
 Cool

And related to the original topic, I bought:

https://www.logos.com/product/15515/social-science-commentary-on-the-book-of-acts 

It was in my wish list. I think it is "nice to have" giving additional perspective for me (tunnel view crypto-biblicist Lutheran)

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 47
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2019 4:39 AM

John Fidel:

Here is what I bought. Not sure any are must haves, but you can decide. I have found them interesting and helpful:

All 3 Lexham Discourse Commentaries. If you have Faithlife Connect and buy through Lexhampress.com you should qualify for and additional 25% discount on at least one of them. Not sure if it applies to one or all, so purchase all of the Lexham at one time to see.

I also purchased the 3 Lexham Discourse Commentaries. I'm preaching through 1 Th now and am finding the Lexham discourse commentary quite helpful. Other items I purchased are:

• Hebrews through a Hebrew's Eyes
  • The Evangelical Press Study Commentaries (I owned most of them and getting the remaining 3 for $31 seemed like a good deal)
  • SIL Exegetical Summary on Acts 14-28 (this and the one on John 10-21 completes my set)
  • The Theology of the Book of Isaiah by Goldingay
  • John's Use of Ezekiel

Not sure if I would consider any of these as "must have's" but they fill a hole in my library. I serve as a part-time chaplain at a retirement home and have had an unusually large number of funerals lately. I save my honorariums for books otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford anything this year. Breaking up the bundles is what did it for me.

Thank you Logos:)

Posts 401
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2019 8:14 AM

Mattillo:

Another gem that I'm enjoying reading right now is Davis' commentary on Joshua.  https://www.logos.com/product/18455/joshua-no-falling-words 

They are short, to the point, and have some great preaching points.  He has several in that series though I don't know which ones are on sale.  Highly recommended as well.

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Author=2886%7cDale+Ralph+Davis 

Yes! These get a hearty recommendation from me. Dale's commentaries are one of the few that can be enjoyable read cover to cover with a cup of coffee. I have nearly all of his commentaries from the Focus of the Bible series. They are worth every penny of the full price, let alone on sale! 

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 2021
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 26 2019 12:21 PM

MJ. Smith:

GaoLu:
Yet in the end, to appeal to logic as final authority is a wobbly self-deception because we can only apply logic to what we can perceive (rooted in our nasty, deceptive senses)  we end up back at faith in the authority of God.   

While I don't necessarily agree with all the points, you might find James C. McGlothlin's The Logiphro Dilemma: An Examination of the Relationship between God and Logic a interesting read.

Is God above logic? If so, is he irrational? Is God subservient to logic? If so, is he really omnipotent? These questions are similar to Socrates' infamous challenge to explaining God's relation to morality, the so-called Euthyphro dilemma. In this book McGlothlin argues that the Euthyphro challenge can be extended to help explain the relationship between God and logic, what he call the Logiphro dilemma. Logic, on this account, depends on aspects of God's mind other than God's will. This is a nonstandard form of theistic logical dependence. It contrasts both with the standard form of theistic logical dependence, according to which logic depends on God's will, and with theistic logical independence, according to which logic is independent of God. These rival views can be seen as the horns of the Logiphro dilemma: either logic depends on God's will, in which case special revelation would no longer be communicable; or logic is independent of God, in which case core claims of classical theism--for example, that God is the only independent being--would be violated. The best way to escape both of these horns, according to McGlothlin, is to adopt the nonstandard form of theistic logical dependence.

The better known but in my mind the lesser logician is Vern Poythress's  Logic: A God-Centered Approach to the Foundation of Western Thought 

Another marginally related book comes to mind; Michael Durrant's The Logical Status of "God"

And I just found an interesting book hidden among the ebooks Scientific Models for Religious Knowledge: Are the Scientific Study of Religion and a Religious Epistemology Compatible? by Ralls

Thanks.  Good suggestions, all added to my wish/hope-to-read-soon list.

Posts 619
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 27 2019 5:16 AM

I wonder if the first resource here is in line with the second resource.  Is it just more focused, but not adding anything new?:

https://www.logos.com/product/29465/jesus-as-the-fulfillment-of-the-temple-in-the-gospel-of-john 

With

https://www.logos.com/product/80707/the-temple-and-the-churchs-mission-a-biblical-theology-of-the-dwelling-place-of-god 

Posts 91
Ruben Sandoval | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 12:14 PM

Mattillo:

DAL:

Steven New:

I tried this and it didn't work.  I don't know if my coupon code didn't work, or not, but the 25% Lexham Book Coupon did not add to the discount.

Where’s the coupon? I’ve been looking for it in my Connect account and nothing. The email they sent me at the beginning of the month didn’t have the coupon code for the 25% off either.

DAL

https://connect.faithlife.com/get-started 

Click on ebooks

The code is below above the fleb code I believe... It's on there somewhere sir

Bummed...can't seem to get the code to work. (MAR19LEXHAM25 ??)

I tried with the Keown book too for good measure, but nada.

Am I doin somethin wrong?

Thanks!

Posts 218
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 28 2019 1:15 PM

Ruben, I am sending you an email about this.

Posts 3766
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 31 2019 1:19 PM

Joe McCune (Faithlife):

i'm curious too...could we just have a simple post about it?  I'm trying to search for it on the forums....

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3766
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 31 2019 1:19 PM

Joe McCune (Faithlife):

i'm curious too...could we just have a simple post about it?  I'm trying to search for it on the forums....

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 218
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 1 2019 10:37 AM

Friedrich:

Hi Friedrich-  Sorry I was not trying to be secretive, its just that Ruben had a unique situation with a unique solution. 

Are you still having difficulty using coupon code MAR19LEXHAM25?

Posts 3643
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 8:16 AM

Joe McCune (Faithlife):
Are you still having difficulty using coupon code MAR19LEXHAM25?

Good April's Fool joke!

Page 5 of 5 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS