Can't choose Preferred Septuagint

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 6 2010 5:56 AM

In the Bible Word Study report I can't choose any other Septuigent than the Logos LXX.  In my library I have Lexham LXX Interlinear Prioritized but it doesn't show up in the Bible Word Study Report.  One of the reason I like this LXX rather than Logos is that Logos LXX doesn't have English glosses.    

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 1:23 PM

Can anyone verify this or help with this?

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 1:28 PM

Where are you referring to? The screenshot below shows the Textual Searches link working for me:

Posts 18899
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 1:43 PM

Or are you referring to the Septuagint Translation section of the BWS?

Indeed there are no English glosses on the Hebrew words around the circle here. Is that what you're talking about when you say "Logos LXX doesn't have English glosses"? If that's what you mean, the missing glosses here have nothing to do with what version of the LXX the translation is coming from. It's been a bug (or "design flaw") for some time that glosses don't appear for Hebrew words in BWS -- I reported it back in 4.0b in this thread. But it doesn't appear to have been noticed or confirmed as a problem by anyone from Logos.

In the meantime, you can hover over the segment with the word you're interested in and a new ring will pop up that does have the gloss for the Hebrew word.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 1:47 PM

Rosie Perera:
it doesn't appear to have been noticed or confirmed as a problem by anyone from Logos.

I didn't see your earlier bug report and submitted a new one. But yours had been noted (though not fixed).

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:27 PM

In the Bible Word Study Report in 3.0 you were able to choose your prefered LXX.  This is not the case in 4.0.  I choose the Lexham LXX as prefered in my Library but when I run the report I only get Logos LXX.  The problem with Logos LXX is that there is no English glosses. 

Posts 29605
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:24 PM

The standard interlinear does not have a line for a second (English) gloss. It handles only 2 languages. For the interlinear it treats the Greek as a translation of the Hebrew i.e. the Greek is the gloss.

However,

Have you tried opening the English version and setting send links here? Haven't tried it yet myself but ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 8:38 PM

M.J.:  I understand that the Logos LXX doesn't have an English gloss because it is using Greek and Hebrew.  I still think there could be a 3rd language added such as English.  But my main point is in the Bible Word Study Report we are unable to choose which LXX we want to use.  IN 3.0 I was able to use the Lexham LXX and thus far I haven't been able to use any other LXX except the Logos LXX in the Bible Word Study Report.  When I click on the search results all I get is the Logos LXX instead of the Lexham Interlinear LXX.      

Posts 29605
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 9:26 PM

JohnBrumett:
But my main point is in the Bible Word Study Report we are unable to choose which LXX we want to use. 

Yes, I understand and am not sure whether this is by design or a bug. I was trying to find a temporary work-around. I'll enter it in the wiki as a bug and see what response we get.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:11 PM

It is by design. The reason is that (contrary to appearances) these sections of the BWS in L3 and L4 are not equivalent and are not trying to be equivalent.

The Septuagint Translation section of the BWS in Logos 4 is completely new, it is showing you all the different hebrew words that are translated to this greek word in the Septuagint. You can't choose a different LXX for this section because the Logos LXX is the only LXX tagged against the Hebrew text.

The septuagint section in the Logos 3 BWS is actually just a simple textual search. You could run the search yourself as a lemma from morph search, or see the 'textual searches' section at the bottom of the BWS and click LXX there to get the same info; it uses Logos LXX by default but will use a different LXX if you have prioritised one...

Posts 25858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2010 6:37 AM

JohnBrumett:
we are unable to choose which LXX we want to use.

It won't use Lexham LXX in Septuagint Translation section but it will use Lexham LXX in the Textual Searches section if you generate the report from that bible.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS