Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 406
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2019 8:07 PM

Well-stated, MJ, as usual.

Posts 1406
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 3 2019 9:10 PM

thank you MJ!!!

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 1922
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 4:28 AM

Thanks for the reminder

Posts 1942
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 4:37 AM

Mark Barnes:

Joseph Turner:

I'm trying to figure out how I own this set.  This is not something I would purchase by itself, so it must have been included in some base package at some point.  Very strange!

It was in Logos 7 Baptist Portfolio. Perhaps others too.

That would be how I got it!  Thanks.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1406
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 10:12 AM

Mark Barnes:

Brad:
You can't make this stuff up! Duplantis? Hinn? "Caught up into heaven?" A conversation with King David? And the author cites other Duplantis heaven conversations in additional volumes of this set.

The weirdest thing about this is that the great revelation this heavenly conversation gained was that David wrote many of his Psalms while "sitting on the side of a hill".

Sadly, there's plenty of other 'revelations' throughout this series:

Thanks for sharing. This series has now received the dubious honour of being the first commentary collection in my library that I've hidden (I can't return it because it came in a collection).

It is a culmination of thirty years of personal Bible study. This is NOT Bible commentary, but rather Gary H. Everett's personal insights. We all have personal opinions on all matters, but I think it is unfair knowing that we are dealing with personal notes treat as Bible Commentary, and trash his personal insights. I would gladly have all someones personal notes and insights on Biblical passages and see if I can find some useful info and I am not afraid to get the meat and spit the bones. 

EDIT: deleted

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 402
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 3:37 PM

Wild Eagle:

PS: I dont agree with cessationism and personally, it is a heresy for me because it contradicts with my view on Scripture. But, I started to collect their classical books in my library to see why they think or what made them think that way, . 

To say that something is heresy (according to my understanding of the concept) is to say that those who hold such a view are deviating from the orthodox gospel which was once for all delivered to the believers. In essence, you are implying that all cessationists are believing a different gospel (eg. not saved) and that cessationist pastors/elders are preaching a different gospel and therefore under God's curse. 

Just so we are all on the same page, is that really what you are saying?

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 1406
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 8:10 PM

Liam Maguire:

To say that something is heresy (according to my understanding of the concept) is to say that those who hold such a view are deviating from the orthodox gospel which was once for all delivered to the believers. In essence, you are implying that all cessationists are believing a different gospel (eg. not saved) and that cessationist pastors/elders are preaching a different gospel and therefore under God's curse. 

Just so we are all on the same page, is that really what you are saying?

no, Liam, I don’t mean in that sense. Sorry I shouldn’t use this word not assuming that this is what people people could mean. What I meant is a certain belief contrary to what Bible says. IF Bible teaches earnestly desire gifts, and someone says, this is not for us, then “ this is not for us” part is heretical because it contradicts to what Paul said. Not as that they preach different gospel, but hold some views that contrary to Paul teachings. 

Posts 402
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2019 11:53 PM

Wild Eagle:

no, Liam, I don’t mean in that sense. Sorry I shouldn’t use this word not assuming that this is what people people could mean. What I meant is a certain belief contrary to what Bible says. IF Bible teaches earnestly desire gifts, and someone says, this is not for us, then “ this is not for us” part is heretical because it contradicts to what Paul said. Not as that they preach different gospel, but hold some views that contrary to Paul teachings. 

No problem. Thanks for clarifying your meaning and usage. FWIW, I do not hold the view myself but serve alongside two very godly elders who do, not mention godly members of our congregation who are cessationist. I have zero doubt in my mind that they are nothing but genuine, regenerate, card-carrying children of God. Perhaps more importantly, they would not think they are contradicting Paul's teaching about SG. 

Also, worth remembering all biblical commands, including 1 Corinthians 14:1 were given to an original audience first, in this case, the Corinthians. We the reader then examine the command in light of the original historical, cultural, context, and the wider teaching of scripture, to see if it still applies to us today. I would say 'yes, it does'. Whereas a Cessationist would say 'no it does not'. 

Finally, cessationism has a long and illustrious theological pedigree (right across Protestantism), more so than a charismatic/continuationist view of the gifts - which historically, speaking has been mainly a minority or underground view until very recently. That fact alone should make us cautious and humble in approach to those who hold an alternative perspective on Spiritual gifts. 

So I guess the question to ask is 'Can a person who holds to Cessationism still be considered a Christian?' If you answer that question with a 'Yes' then the theological position they hold to cannot be a heresy. It might be an incorrect interpretation of the Bible or bad theology, but it can't be heresy or false teaching. 

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 233
Kevin Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 3:45 AM

I get it.  This thread shows us the new way to get around the forum rules.  OK, let's all play that game.  I am looking forward to the new civility. 

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 3:44 PM

Kevin Olson:
I get it.  This thread shows us the new way to get around the forum rules.

Another reason to lock this thread.

Posts 4744
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2019 7:08 PM

I don't really care if this "stuff" is in Logos format; I just want something that is fundamentally more substantial (even if it is ultimately wrong) to be included as well...Bart Ehrman's and Karen Armstrong's and James Tabor's and Robert Eisenman's stuff. These authors aren't necessarily similar except for their "unorthodox" positions, but they are certainly weighty enough to warrant availability in Logos.

I'm still ticked off that Bird's book that was a direct PUBLISHER DESIGNED refutation of Bart's book (meaning they were published almost as a set by the same publisher) got added to Logos but the book that was being refuted got bricked. THAT'S ALMOST CRIMINAL. Open the floodgates FL...if this series (the OP's focus) can get published in Logos, these other authors certainly should be added as well.

Posts 4744
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 12:41 PM

When I referred to Karen Armstrong above, I actually intended to mention Elaine Pagels. Both should be available in Logos.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS