What are the last 5 books or so you purchased rather than waiting for a FL edition?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26276
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2019 9:15 PM

Rob:
Might as well add Gary Rendsburg‘s recent book to the list, How the Bible is Written

Yes, I looked at this on Amazon and immediately purchased it. While doing so, it occurred to me that most of the suggested books are ones people are willing to wait for. Wouldn't it be nice it FL could supply what we aren't willing to wait for in a timely manner? To do so, they'd need to know what we've purchased "recently" - new, used, or on other platforms.

Are you game to list your last 5 purchases you'd have liked in Logos/Verbum?

1. John Bergsma and Brant Pritre. A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: Old Testament.
  2. Judith Frishman and Lucas van Rompay. The Book of Genesis in Jewish and Oriental Christian Interpretation.
  3. Johnathan Haidt. The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion.
  4. Michael Durrant. The Logical Status of 'God'
  5. Theodore G. Stylianopoulos. The New Testament: An Orthodox Perspective Volume one: Scripture, Tradition, Hermeneutics
  6. Richard MarshPrayers from the East: Traditions of Eastern Christianity
  7. Brent Nongbri. God's Library The Archaeology of the Earliest Christian Manuscripts

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 1:25 AM

Some of the ones I've purchased from Amazon recently are available in Logos but just not in Canada:

1. Nick Harrison, Magnificent Prayer: 366 Devotions to Deepen Your Prayer Experience
  2. Preston Sprinkle, People to Be Loved: Why Homosexuality Is Not Just an Issue

But others are not available in Logos at all. These are all Kindle purchases from the past month. I was impulsive and not willing to wait.

1. Fr. John Horgan, His Angels at Our Side: Understanding Their Power in Our Souls and the World (funnily enough, the day after buying the Kindle edition, I was given a copy of the print book by the author himself whom I met for the first time)
  2. Blessed Columba Marmion, With Christ: An Anthology of the Writings of Blessed Columba Marmion
  3. Glenn C. Daman, Shepherding the Small Church: A Leadership Guide for the Majority of Today's Churches
  4. Barbara Brown Taylor, Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others
  5. Richard Rohr, The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For, and Believe
  6. Harry O. Maier, Apocalypse Recalled: The Book of Revelation After Christendom

And these are recent print purchases in about the same time period:

1. John Pentland, Fishing Tips: How Curiosity Transformed a Community of Faith - not available from Amazon
  2. Robert Friedman, The Theology of Anabaptism: An Interpretation - out of print, bought used
  3. James A. Walther, The Book of Revelation: Visions for the Church in Crisis (Resource Book) - out of print, bought last used copy available
  4. Barbara Minges & Donald Griggs, The Book of Revelation: Visions for the Church in Crisis (Leader's Guide) - OOP, bought last used copy

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 4:33 AM

The last batch that came in was:

Shades of Sheol, Philip S. Johnston
101 Myths of the Bible, Gary Greenberg
The Dimensions of Job, Nahum Glatzer
Interpreting Prophetic Literature, James D. Nogalski
The Justification of the Gentiles, Hendrikus Boers

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 6:08 AM

Five related to Christianity, theology and background:

F.F.Bruce: The Acts of the Apostles (Greek Text with Introduction and Commentary) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0851117643/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00 

Kyriacos C. Markides: The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RH0E6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00 

Israel Finkelstein: The Forgotten Kingdom: The Archaeology and History of Northern Israel https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1589839102/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00 

Michael Grant: The Routledge Atlas of Classical History: From 1700 BC to AD 565 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EYWOED8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00 

Arie S. Issar: Strike the Rock and There Shall Come Water: Climate Changes, Water Resources and History of the Lands of the Bible https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTV4GDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o05 

And perhaps a bit off topic:

Muhammad al-Bukhari: The Hadith https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VEYTL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o04 

Asad Tarsin: Being Muslim: A Practical Guide https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01833W1KM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o02 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 7:41 AM

Limited to purchased, and recommend in Logos:

Charles Kruger; Early Text of the New Testament (re-reading)

John Collins; Invention of Judaism - Torah and Jewish Identity from Deuteronomy to Paul

Judith Lieu; Marcion and the Making of a Heretic

Robert C. Fuller; The Body of Faith - A Biological History of Religion in America

Wayne Rollins, Andrew Kille; Psychological Insight into the Bible

Posts 1356
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 9:03 AM

Some of these are off my PhD exam reading lists, and are obscure enough I wouldn't expect to see Logos editions. But others... we're not keeping up with Peter Enns, we have NO James Kugel, NO Robert Alter. 
If there's a reason other companies are *perceived* as being more for academics, and Logos as being devotional and for Protestants, book selection might be a significant part of it.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 432
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 6 2019 9:20 AM

The Triumph of Grace: Literary and Theological Studies in Deuteronomy and Deuteronomic Themes by Daniel I. Block

The Epistle to the Romans by Karl Barth
Thanks again to Everett, Ben and the Faithlife team for the ongoing efforts to get this in Logos format.  (See this thread and this one.)

The Book of Psalms: A Translation with Commentary by Robert Alter

The Top 100 Questions: Biblical Answers to Popular Questions by Richard Bewes

Jesus and the God of Israel: God Crucified and Other Studies on the New Testament's Christology of Divine Identity by Richard Bauckham

This may not necessarily be the 5 most recent, but it's a reasonable sample.  I have to confess though, that fairly frequently I pick up Kindle versions of resources that are already in the Logos format, when a sale makes the price delta too vast to ignore.  I always prefer the Logos format, of course. 

Block's Triumph of Grace, listed above, is available for Logos pre-order and is "gathering interest."  

Posts 30
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 7 2019 2:10 AM

Just two...

Hidden but now Revealed, Beale

The Lost World of the Torah, Walton

...quite a few that Faithlife should have/may offer in the future that I couldn’t wait for.

How the Bible Actually Works, Enns 

The Hebrew Bible, Alter

The Art of Bible Translation, Alter

How the Bible is Writen, Rendsburg

Posts 13
Aaron Hayworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 9 2019 6:28 AM
  1. Robert Alter's "The Hebrew Bible" - But this one is such a beautiful collection, I'm glad to have the physical version. 
  2. Julie A Lunn's "The Theology of Sanctification and Resignation in Charles Wesley's Hymns"- this one was quite expensive, so a Logos edition would've been preferable. 
  3. Edgardo Colon-Emeric's "Oscar Romero's Theological Vision" - again, very expensive so a digital edition would have saved me a reasonable amount.
  4. Kathryn Tanner's "Christianity and the New Spirit of Capitalism" - None of her works are offered on Logos, which is a shame because "Christ the Key" is a commonly used text in mainline seminaries. 
  5. Elaine Heath's "Healing the Wounds of Sexual Abuse: Reading the Bible with Survivors" - a short but greatly valuable book published by Brazos.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS