12” MacBooks

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 267
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 8 2019 4:04 PM

Does anyone use Logos on the 12“ MacBooks? 

If so, what specs on it? My daughter just poured a glass of water on my 2015 MacBook Pro rendering it completely dead so I am in the market for a replacement. 

Thanks!

Posts 3265
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2019 4:57 PM

Sorry to hear that!

I don't have any personal experience with the 12" MacBook.

You might want to google for in-home solutions (that don't involve rice). It might work after you let it dry out for a day or so.

If that doesn't work, and there's no inexpensive (Apple or third-party) repair option, definitely check out Apple refurbished (and possibly AppleCare to cover any future accidental damage).

Posts 267
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2019 5:16 PM

I’m going to try the rice thing and hope it works. But it’s showing absolutely no signs of life, and most Mac products savable by rice show at least a little bit of life before trying rice. 

As for AppleCare, I am a huge fan of it, unfortunately this Macbook’s AppleCare Protection ran out in January. It’s a 2015 model MacBook Pro that’s been running like a champ.

Posts 131
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2019 5:17 PM

My 2 cents... if you are in the new market and have $1,000 plus to spend on something new I would look at a 13" macbook pro. check sites like macrumors and 9to5mac and appleinsider for links to recent sales. I bought a 13" macbook pro few weeks ago during a one day sale at bestbuy and got $400 off. The lines are blurry between a macbook and a mb air and a mb pro. it isnt like jobs's days when you had four distinct catagories: pro desktop, consumer desktop, pro laptop, consumer laptop. 

if you want to save as much money as possible (and can find someone you trust) find a macbook pro that is a few years old (2014, 2015, 2016 etc) and stick an ssd in there and max out the ram. Macsales (i think it is) sells old macs that they have upgraded to ssds and max ram. 

I have a 2011 macbook pro with 500gb ssd 16gb ram and 2.3 ghz. 8 years old and still a very good computer imo. 

Posts 27805
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2019 6:37 PM

I don't use Logos on a 12 inch MacBook. I did just buy one for my wife, however. She previously had an 11 inch MacBook Air and I thought the screen was too small. I don't think I would be happy with it, but I thought it was much nicer than her previous one. I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro (2015) like you did, and would want a similar sized screen next time around.  

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 957
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2019 6:38 PM

You may want to look at the new MacBook Air also.  8th gen intel processor, larger screen, and slightly less expensive that the MacBook.  I've seen reports in the forums that the previous version works fine (Mike Binks and others) so I imagine the newer model works as well.  Also, may be worth a look at the certified refurbished models.

Posts 885
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 8 2019 11:26 PM

Did you try to turn it on after water damaged? If you didn’t (and try to turn it off as quickly as possible) there’s a chance drying it would work. Rice is the driest commodity thing you can try if you happen to eat rice. Put a lot of them surrounding the MacBook and enclose it as tight as possible.

Did you take it apart? There’s cheap kit you can buy for those special screw. Try to dry it with cloth first if you can. But if you think there’s a chance you could break it, may be not. Try Ifixit and find how to change battery. At one point the guide will tell you how to disconnect the battery. The sooner you disconnect the battery the better. (You don’t need to take the battery out, just disconnect the cable to the motherboard.

After that (how long to wait? Difficult to tell but I would try at least try a week. If you didn’t open it to dry it with cloth first, may be longer.), if it still doesn’t work, you can still try to sell it as is for parts and there’s value there.

if you have the budget of a MacBook like the other said the 13” MacBook Pro with 2 cores only (like the 2017 model or the non Touch Bar model) is around the same price point and is a better deal performance wise.

God bless.

Posts 27805
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 9 2019 8:30 AM

Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 267
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 9 2019 8:32 AM

Believe it or not, a rice bath saved my laptop. The water was dumped on the keyboard area while it was on, causing it to immediately turn off, showing no signs of life. The charger didn't even light up when plugged into the laptop, which usually is a sure sign of death. So, Praise the Lord! 

Posts 885
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 9 2019 1:18 PM

Wow, that is quick. I imagine it should have taken much longer for it to work.

Praise the Lord!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS